OT: Redsox/MLB - 2014 Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I'm going to provide a link, but warning, it is going to drive you ****ing insane.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/11237346/colby-lewis-texas-rangers-problem-colby-rasmus-bunt

If anyone has any ****ing idea what his problem was here, please explain it. Seriously, this is absolutely the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard a major league player whine about.

This is maybe worse than when the Dolphins thought it was disrespectful the Pats kept running the same play that was working.

I only made it about halfway through before getting really annoyed. This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.

Here's a novel idea....you don't want a guy to lay a bunt down for an easy hit? Don't shift. God forbid he doesn't play right into the hands of your defensive alignment.

I love how he complains about him not stealing 2nd base to get into scoring position as well....because, you know, there is no chance the next guy up could get an XBH.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Next time, he's gonna complain about someone drawing a two out walk.

But, seriously, nice win. This team's fun to watch again. Except for fly balls to shallow left.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
MLB related from out of town. Please explain to me what the problem is here:

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story...lewis-texas-rangers-problem-colby-rasmus-bunt

Bunting with 2 outs in the 8th inning of a no hitter is one thing and closer to the "line" of being unsportsmanlike or whatever....but you can't bunt against IF shifts in Colby Lewis' world? And who exactly is Colby Lewis? Anyone on Texas should just shut up thru the end of this year, that entire team is garbage.

Last edited:

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
you should literally read eight posts back. same link and everything.

Yikes, sorry about that. Missed stuff in this thread and board last few days.

And I knew it would have been you or EverettMike who would have brought it up first.

This is going to happen more and more as teams try to extract value from using defensive shifts. Years from now, this will hopefully be a non-issue.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
i didn't mean to sound like an ******* either. i found it kind of funny that it was the exact same link.

this is always going to happen, shifts or not. baseball players are mostly idiots.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Would be a lot of fun if they could be within 2-3 games come September. I still think they're gonna fall short, but they can definitely make it interesting.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Big series coming up with the Jays. If we can sweep, it'll be huge.

I'm still riding with this team like I said back a few pages and some of you laughed. I think we're gonna make a run here. Everything is starting to click. The post-AJ Sox are looking good.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Baseball America came out with its top 50 prospects last week and Blake Swihart was ranked the number 1 catching prospect in the game at 14 overall; and best bud and teammate Henry Owens was 15. What is interesting is Mookie Betts was penciled in at 12 overall but he got called up.

That is pretty amazing that they have 3 of the top 16 prospects in the game. Plus a bunch of other high end guys like Marrero, Devers, Johnson, Ranaudo....on and on. Christian Vasquez I read was considered the best defensive catcher in the minors before he got called up and projects as a good bat.

Hopefully Boston keeps Swihart and lets him catch 50 games and play first and in time DH. The word is he is going to be a very good hitter both average and extra base power with a good eye.

C-Vazquez, Swihart
1B- Napoli,Swihart
2B- Pedroia, Betts, Coyle
SS- Marrero
3B- Bogaerts, Cecchini, Devers
LF-Betts
CF-JBJ
R-Margot

wish they drafted that OF last year 7th instead of Trey Ball (now that I said that expect him to start cranking out)

The Yankees must drool looking at what the Sox have in their system

kman22

Apr 11, 2010
Baseball America came out with its top 50 prospects last week and Blake Swihart was ranked the number 1 catching prospect in the game at 14 overall; and best bud and teammate Henry Owens was 15. What is interesting is Mookie Betts was penciled in at 12 overall but he got called up.

That is pretty amazing that they have 3 of the top 16 prospects in the game. Plus a bunch of other high end guys like Marrero, Devers, Johnson, Ranaudo....on and on. Christian Vasquez I read was considered the best defensive catcher in the minors before he got called up and projects as a good bat.

Hopefully Boston keeps Swihart and lets him catch 50 games and play first and in time DH. The word is he is going to be a very good hitter both average and extra base power with a good eye.

C-Vazquez, Swihart
1B- Napoli,Swihart
2B- Pedroia, Betts, Coyle
SS- Marrero
3B- Bogaerts, Cecchini, Devers
LF-Betts
CF-JBJ
R-Margot

wish they drafted that OF last year 7th instead of Trey Ball (now that I said that expect him to start cranking out)

The Yankees must drool looking at what the Sox have in their system

If Swihart ends up starting 50 games a season behind the plate, I'd say that would be a major disappointment. Both catchers will be good, but Swihart is more of a complete player.

One thing that really stands out from this list is how much of a power shortage there is in Boston's system. Not sure if a front-line SP or a power hitting corner OF is a bigger need, but besides that, this system is loaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad