Reds claim Freddy Galvis off waivers

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I realize the season is a write-off but losing your team RBI leader for nothing......I mean the optics once again aren't great. :laugh:

Beat guy is saying they tried to trade him but couldn't find a deal. He's owed a lot of money for someone who's probably closer to a utility guy than everyday SS on a playoff team.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
wonder why teams weren't lining up to get the leading rbi guy on a ****ty team.

weird.

18 HR though and a versatile glove. If you can trade Biagini I don’t see how someone didn’t offer anything for Galvis. He would have had to have been an upgrade on someone’s bench who is looking towards September.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He is also not that expensive with a 5.5M team option for next season

To me its probably likely that Jays GM asked for too much in trade during talks with teams

I mean I cant believe a team wouldn't have offered up some single A pitchers for him

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
i'd be more concerned if a player, given adequate playing time, didn't have 18 homers nowadays.

plus, most contenders are built up the middle and not interested in parting with single a pitchers for bullpen help, let alone a 29 year old utility player hitting bombs when everyone in the league does.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
i'd be more concerned if a player, given adequate playing time, didn't have 18 homers nowadays.

plus, most contenders are built up the middle and not interested in parting with single a pitchers for bullpen help, let alone a 29 year old utility player hitting bombs when everyone in the league does.

Carlos Correa has 17 HR. Not saying, that proves anything but you’re making it sound like Galvis is garbage and he’s had a solid year on a very bad team. 1.5 WAR isn’t going to get MVP votes but he would easily be a useful piece on a few contending teams. It definitely sounds like Atkins was asking too much. Letting him go for nothing is just bad asset management since I don’t think there’s anyway there wasn’t at least *some* interest in him.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Carlos Correa has 17 HR. Not saying, that proves anything but you’re making it sound like Galvis is garbage and he’s had a solid year on a very bad team. 1.5 WAR isn’t going to get MVP votes but he would easily be a useful piece on a few contending teams. It definitely sounds like Atkins was asking too much. Letting him go for nothing is just bad asset management since I don’t think there’s anyway there wasn’t at least *some* interest in him.

And Galvis has had almost 200 more PAs than Correa...

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
18 was the number i used because it's how many galvis has. it's not meant to demean him but there are two things at play here:

- i don't think the market is chomping for power hitting utility players when they can just as easily make their own now that the ball is different.

- which contender was going to put in for him? the dodgers are a utility team. the cardinals seem to have the same problems shoehorning guys in and getting playing time. the cubs paid for castellanos. the brewers don't have a spot. the braves don't have a spot. the nationals spent their currency on relievers. the astros don't have a spot. the twins don't have a spot. the indians spent on outfielders. the yankees and red sox sat out rather than pay for anything of real value and while it's great that galvis is a switch hitter, he's demonstrably better as a left handed hitter which not everyone might be looking for.

it's not meant to demonize the player nor the front office (despite jays' fans wishes). they held a price on him that they couldn't find and did right by the player by letting him go to another team and play meaningful baseball. if anything, galvis is another fatality to the one trade deadline this year. he would have been perfect for the august trade deadline in year's past as a fill in player to a team that had an injury.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
18 was the number i used because it's how many galvis has. it's not meant to demean him but there are two things at play here:

- i don't think the market is chomping for power hitting utility players when they can just as easily make their own now that the ball is different.

- which contender was going to put in for him? the dodgers are a utility team. the cardinals seem to have the same problems shoehorning guys in and getting playing time. the cubs paid for castellanos. the brewers don't have a spot. the braves don't have a spot. the nationals spent their currency on relievers. the astros don't have a spot. the twins don't have a spot. the indians spent on outfielders. the yankees and red sox sat out rather than pay for anything of real value and while it's great that galvis is a switch hitter, he's demonstrably better as a left handed hitter which not everyone might be looking for.

it's not meant to demonize the player nor the front office (despite jays' fans wishes). they held a price on him that they couldn't find and did right by the player by letting him go to another team and play meaningful baseball. if anything, galvis is another fatality to the one trade deadline this year. he would have been perfect for the august trade deadline in year's past as a fill in player to a team that had an injury.
Leaves out A's and Rays but mentions Red Sox LOL

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad