Redline's take on the top goalie prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Rabid Ranger said:
Here's Kyle Woodlief's column: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/woodlief/2004-06-14-woodlief_x.htm

He's still pumping up Dave Brown. I love his little "I bet teams wished they listed to me last year" bit.

The only problem I have with their take on Brown is that he didn't exactly win the spot, the junior goalie in front of him was injured for parts of the season, a minor point I guess. I've seen Brown a couple of times, and I like what I saw from him, might be worth a shot. I also like Roberge but the lack of playing time is a concern, can't see him being picked in the 3rd, but who knows. One guy that gets no press if David McKee, while he outplayed Brown at the Everblades classic, he also had a better defense in front of him, which explains his strong numbers.

I think Schiender may end up being the best of them all, but that's just a guess. Schwarz did look impressive against the Slovaks, and Montoya I've seen play good and bad. It will be interesting to see where they go.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Rabid Ranger said:
He's still pumping up Dave Brown. I love his little "I bet teams wished they listed to me last year" bit.

You can expect that trend to continue. With ISS in the market, there is now a form of competition and both will make bombastic claims once in a while.

ISS are now saying they were among the first to be high on Meszaros. In the THN draft special, there is also a small article on ISS saying they are making a name for themselves because they had Brent Burns rated significantly higher than CSS.

They're both going to emphasize their good picks and both will naturally put the embarassing picks under the rug.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Vlad The Impaler said:
You can expect that trend to continue. With ISS in the market, there is now a form of competition and both will make bombastic claims once in a while.

ISS are now saying they were among the first to be high on Meszaros. In the THN draft special, there is also a small article on ISS saying they are making a name for themselves because they had Brent Burns rated significantly higher than CSS.

They're both going to emphasize their good picks and both will naturally put the embarassing picks under the rug.

I have yet to see Woodlief mention how he missed the boat on some prospect (like Chistov).

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
BlueAndWhite said:
To go totally off-topic, Chistov is far from being classified as a failed pick.

I agree, but it doesn't look like he's going to be near the class of his draft year, which Woodlief was suggesting.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
BlueAndWhite said:
To go totally off-topic, Chistov is far from being classified as a failed pick.

Chistrov , isn't a bust just yet , but time is running out . Chistov could turn into a world class sniper , or turn into a 3rd/4th liner . Hit-or-Miss .

db23

Woodleif was hyping Lars Jonsson as a top 5 pick and the sleeper of the draft back in 1999 or 2000. Well, Jonsson is still sleeping. Not to mention Kastitsyn last year.

Woodleif has a selective memory. And a really bad haircut!

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Russian_fanatic said:
Chistrov , isn't a bust just yet , but time is running out.

I dunno, I don't see it that way at all. Why would time be running out? Chistov is a physically weak player who needs a period of adaptation. Also, I scratch a year off him and Svitov for the crappy situation they were in in Russia.

There are still plenty of 97, 98, 99 just emerging. The time is certainly not up for a guy drafted in 2001 who essentially lost a year of development. I do think he had a very crappy year this year but the Ducks as a whole were... the Mighty Sucks.

He's going to be a top 6 forward in this league, I just wonder how much of an impact he will make. He needs to score goals, that's for sure. He can do it too.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Russian_fanatic said:
Chistrov , isn't a bust just yet , but time is running out . Chistov could turn into a world class sniper , or turn into a 3rd/4th liner . Hit-or-Miss .
I think the Kovalchuks, Nashs, Bouwmeesters of the hockey world have a.) really spoiled us as hockey fans and b.) planted a common misconception in our minds.

It seems that if a player doesn't make the jump to the NHL right away, and isn't established as a solid player by the time he's 20-21 - he is very easily written off.

While, I don't think we can take anything away from the tremendous feat that Kovalchuk and the like have accomplished, we shouldn't be so down on players because they take more than 2 years to develop.

Guys like Backman, Raycroft, Ryder, Zetterberg, Malone, Hunter have shown that they can come in at the age of 22-23 and still be good NHL players and recognize their full potential.

Now I realize that there are other concerns with Chistov besides age, but I just had to get this off my chest.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
BlueAndWhite said:
I think the Kovalchuks, Nashs, Bouwmeesters of the hockey world have a.) really spoiled us as hockey fans and b.) planted a common misconception in our minds.

It seems that if a player doesn't make the jump to the NHL right away, and isn't established as a solid player by the time he's 20-21 - he is very easily written off.

While, I don't think we can take anything away from the tremendous feat that Kovalchuk and the like have accomplished, we shouldn't be so down on players because they take more than 2 years to develop.

Guys like Backman, Raycroft, Ryder, Zetterberg, Malone, Hunter have shown that they can come in at the age of 22-23 and still be good NHL players and recognize their full potential.

Now I realize that there are other concerns with Chistov besides age, but I just had to get this off my chest.

Totally agree ! It's ridiculous !

5HOLE

May 30, 2002
USA
montreal said:
One guy that gets no press if David McKee, while he outplayed Brown at the Everblades classic, he also had a better defense in front of him, which explains his strong numbers.

McKee is an 83 and is too old to be drafted. He is a free agent if and when he chooses to leave school.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Russian_fanatic said:

Time is running out? Obviously somebody is impatient, not a good thing to be with prospects. Plenty of players don't put it together til their mid 20's, Chistov is still VERY young.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Flames Draft Watcher said:
What's your point? Chistov was not ahead of Kovalchuk in their final rankings and those are the only rankings that matter.

Forget it. All I'm saying is Woodlief has a habit of pumping up prospects that have caught his fancy and then turing ghost when they don't progress according to his projections. He's not the only one, so it's not a big deal.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Forget it. All I'm saying is Woodlief has a habit of pumping up prospects that have caught his fancy and then turing ghost when they don't progress according to his projections. He's not the only one, so it's not a big deal.

And all I'm saying is it's ridiculously premature to think that Chistov has peaked or fulfilled his NHL potential at the age he's at right now. So your whole attack on Woodlief is completely baseless given that Chistov is your only example.

For all we know he may be the next St. Louis. Time will tell if people are patient enough. Some obviously aren't because they're ready to judge a draft (2001) well before we can possibly hope to do so. For example we have Oleg Saprykin who's finally STARTING to turn into the player he was thought to be when drafted and he's from the '99 class. We have Regehr who has really broken out this year and he was a '98 pick. I can't believe anybody has even suggested that time is running out on a 2001 pick, gotta give it at least a couple more years if not more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad