Allsvenskan: Redhawks looking to leave Malmö Arena

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Apparantly Malmö can not afford to play in Malmö Arena anymore. http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/sverige/allsvenskan/malmo/article18318781.ab

This might very well be some kind of tactic to make Percy Nilsson lower his demands, as Percy wants hockey in the arena. Would be interesting to see what Percy does if they can not come to an agreement. He really wants an SHL team in the arena, and said second best would be a KHL team. Now everyone with half a brain knows that a KHL team in Malmö is doomed to fail right now, but hey, :laugh:

(If it's not threadworthy move it to the allsvenskan thread please).

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Sounds a bit like an attempt to put pressure on Percy. They mention in their press release that they've had games with fewer than 3000 spectators. According to stats.swehockey.se the lowest registered attendance is 4201. The average attendance is 5671.

It might make sense to move to the renovated Malmö Isstadion for the locals, but personally, I will probably downgrade from being a season ticket holder, to just going to a select few games if they move to the Isstadion.

Teus

Oct 5, 2003
Lund
Visit site
I also get the feeling that it's part of the negotiation and I'm pretty sure they will end up playing in Malmö Arena next season. Using the improved Malmö Isstadion in the negotiation to show they have options feels like a logical move.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Looks like the team is staying in the bigger Malmö Arena. I just got an email on season ticket renewal and there is no indication of any games being played in the smaller Malmö Isstadion. So, I guess it was a negotiating tactic all along...

Staying at the Arena is probably enough to make me renew my season ticket. The Isstadion is not a bad arena to watch hockey, but the concessions are a nightmare - even for the poorly attended international friendly vs Denmark in April.

Teus

Oct 5, 2003
Lund
Visit site
Looks like the team is staying in the bigger Malmö Arena. I just got an email on season ticket renewal and there is no indication of any games being played in the smaller Malmö Isstadion. So, I guess it was a negotiating tactic all along...

Staying at the Arena is probably enough to make me renew my season ticket. The Isstadion is not a bad arena to watch hockey, but the concessions are a nightmare - even for the poorly attended international friendly vs Denmark in April.
Yeah, a 3-year deal was reached a few weeks ago: http://www.malmoredhawks.com/Nyheter/140415-Arena/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad