GDT: Red Wings vs Jets - Dec 29 7:00 CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Jets-practice-late-December-300x200.jpg

Usual lines and D pairs today at practice. Pardy jumped up to Byfuglien's spot mid practice. Coach said he would be fine and is expected to play.

Also a media member got a bear hug from a player.

Audio: Ladd and Lowry.

To listen click here.

Last edited:

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
IMG_0606-300x225.jpg

Topics: On Byfuglien’s absence from practice mid way through it. On the performance of Tyler Myers. Whose idea was the hug? On the renewed commitment to defence. Does the trade deadline factor in to his thought process at all? If this team is a selling team at the deadline what does that do to a room? Do they need goalies to steal games? Taking advantage of team’s who play the Wild the night before.

To listen click here.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Speaking of Munz, I actually didn't mind him last night, sounds better on TV than on the radio. And I usually don't like Munz but thought he was fine last night.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Both Beyak and Munz have the pipes for pbp, but Beyak is too comfortable and talks too much. I'm not sure Munz wouldn't be the same after a few years on TV. Really don't like it when the pbp guy gives us his insights.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Anyone who doesn't like Beyak is taking crazy pills. He is the best guy to call a hockey game bar none. I want Beyak to read the morning news, preach at church, give me a speeding ticket, and break the news of my wife's pregnancy to me.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Beyak is bottom third in the league. Only this year have I watched the jets broadcast more than opposition, and I feel like I'm punishing myself in doing so.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Speaking of Munz, I actually didn't mind him last night, sounds better on TV than on the radio. And I usually don't like Munz but thought he was fine last night.

I wish the Jets would hire him already for Jets TV. He's such a fan boy it's hard to take him seriously in any type of journalistic role, right back to his time with the Moose.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
Beyak is in no way "bottom third of the league". I'm not saying he's the best there is, but after having Centre Ice and watching a bunch of other regional broadcasts I had a new appreciation for the local TSN team.

That said, I thought Munz did fairly well yesterday.

royalwoodJet

Dec 23, 2014
Anyone who doesn't like Beyak is taking crazy pills. He is the best guy to call a hockey game bar none. I want Beyak to read the morning news, preach at church, give me a speeding ticket, and break the news of my wife's pregnancy to me.

Well said brother. Beyak seems to get criticized for, what, having certain sayings like 'tight turns'? Which pbp guy doesn't?
Edmonds on the other hand sounds like a carnival barker. And no one should let him interview a player again after 10 minutes of questions to Trouba about his dog and vacuuming habits, but nothing about resigning with the club.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone

:laugh:

Beyak: "I'm sorry to tell you this winnipegger, but your wife is pregnant, and you're not the father."

winnipegger: "WOW! Dennis Beyak!!! Can I have an autograph?"

;)

Seriously though, I fully agree. Beyak is always into it. He has some sort of dynamic going on where the intensity of his voice builds masterfully with the intensity of the play, which greatly enhances the broadcast.

I find all his stats and sayings an endearing quirk, rather than a maddening habit.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Beyak knows his ****, and he's genuinely into the games. His butter soft baritone could stop any baby from crying and/or bring peace to the middle east. I think I have my new avatar.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Well said brother. Beyak seems to get criticized for, what, having certain sayings like 'tight turns'? Which pbp guy doesn't?
Edmonds on the other hand sounds like a carnival barker. And no one should let him interview a player again after 10 minutes of questions to Trouba about his dog and vacuuming habits, but nothing about resigning with the club.

:laugh: Carnival Barker sounds about right. What's with the fake voice :help:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Beyak is bottom third in the league. Only this year have I watched the jets broadcast more than opposition, and I feel like I'm punishing myself in doing so.

I haven't heard enough of the other announcers around the league to comment on Beyak's placement in the "pecking order".

But I can say I would take the TSN broadcast all day over ANY Sportsnet broadcast. The commentators know so little about the team and make really dumb random comments about the Jets that just aren't true or very well informed.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I like Beyak as PBP. He's not perfect by any means, and abuses tight turns/pair of 55s/rubbed out/close quarters, but he's not a total homer and could be a heck of a lot worse.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Bottom 3rd...lol! The guy is good.

I've learned to like Beyak but he gives us the 1000 words AND the picture. Trouble is they don't match. He is usually 3 passes behind the play. He is easy to listen to though and entertaining. But if you think he is a good pbp man then you have never heard a good pbp man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad