Red Wings Sign D Robbie Russo, 2 Year ELC

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Wasn't signed by the Islanders. Had 41 points in 40 games for Notre-Dame. 6'0'' , 191lbs.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/robbie_russo/

Nice, right handed shot and pretty well developed having gone the college route. Sounds like he also had a year away from college so he's much further along in his development. Should fit in nicely in Grand Rapids and challenge our underwhelming d prospects for a call up.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
"Wasn't signed" by the Islanders is most likely "chose not to sign with". There is no real downside to picking up a guy like this.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
Interesting he signed with us. We don't really have space in current top 6 at the moment and we have 4~5 prospects waiting in line.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Competition and a kid that knows he'll have to compete is good for business.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
Surprised he was available. Very under the radar signing, especially with all the hype surrounding Mike Reilly

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Now that Russo is under contract this gives us 51 contracts 1 over the Max. I will be curious to see who gets moved. Hopefully Kindl is out the door. But knowing Holland that's just wishful thinking on my part.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Now that Russo is under contract this gives us 51 contracts 1 over the Max. I will be curious to see who gets moved. Hopefully Kindl is out the door. But knowing Holland that's just wishful thinking on my part.

According to what site, and does that count for Homer playing in Europe this season?

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Regarding Ryan Sproul, I think that he, and Marchenko for that matter, would less likely be as threatened by Russo as Jensen probably is.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Robbie Larusso, brother of the karate kid. Obviously they signed him to be an enforcer. The real question is how effective he'll be, since you can't do the crane kick with skates on. That's got to be assault with a deadly weapon. Then again, I'm sure his fists are registered as deadly weapons already.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands

I believe all our CHL prospects don't count towards the max. So guys like Hicketts will slide. Feels like we're bumping up against the max though.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
According to HockeysCap (https://hockeyscap.com/teams/redwings) the Red Wings have 24 roster players and 27 non-roster players, for a total of 51 contracts.

But :

Exception: An 18- or 19-year-old player with remaining major junior eligibility, or a player who is drafted from a European team who is then selected in the CHL Import Draft, does not count toward the contract limit until he has played at least 11 NHL games, if the player is assigned to his major-junior team only.

Hicketts and Turgeon don't count then, possibly Holmstrom too.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Regarding Ryan Sproul, I think that he, and Marchenko for that matter, would less likely be as threatened by Russo as Jensen probably is.

Doubt it, watch Jensen skate.... Sproul is beneath Jensen at this point and considerably so. I hope Sproul bounces back, but Jensen was the #1 D in terms of minutes for the back-half of last season on most nights for the Griffins. A guy Blashill leaned on heavily, more so than Ouellet, Paetsch, Lashoff and the rest of them on most nights.

Jensen actually has NHL gifts too, so while the upside on some of the guys is worth it, in particular Sproul, but they weren't passed by somebody you could never see playing at the NHL level.

I like the Russo signing, the Griffins are an extremely loaded team right now, kind of stinks for those that would like to see how heavy Nedomlel could play. Maybe somebody will take a flier on Lashoff for free, like a Buffalo that needs somebody on the left-side. He will be exposed to waivers again, hard to see him getting claimed, but they have an insane amount of depth for an AHL team. Toledo is also likely to be ridiculous in terms of the talent they ice for their level.

Last edited:

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I'm thinking a D definitely gets dealt now. Maybe on the eve of the first game, after camp, but I think the rankes will get smaller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad