Proposal: Red Wings - Senators

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Is the assumption that Methot will constantly run into injuries for the rest of his contract while getting worse? Is there any reason?

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Phaneuf has a NMC, Karlsson and Ceci are the three d-men Ottawa will protect for expansion.
Methot will probably be lost to LV so Ottawa, being a budget team, should trade him now to save all his $4,900,000 salary.
They wouldn't want to bring extra salary on so Detroit doesn't make sense though as they have big cap issues.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Phaneuf has a NMC, Karlsson and Ceci are the three d-men Ottawa will protect for expansion.
Methot will probably be lost to LV so Ottawa, being a budget team, should trade him now to save all his $4,900,000 salary.
They wouldn't want to bring extra salary on so Detroit doesn't make sense though as they have big cap issues.

Moving Methot now would pretty much guarantee that MacArthur becomes the Vegas pick from the Senators so there is merit in what you are suggesting, assuming that Methot is moved for something less attractive to Vegas.

Depending on the return for Methot that would be a hefty drop in cap to start next year: 9.55M (minus the asset acquired in the Methot deal).

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
How about Erik Karlsson to Detroit?

What would it take?

Datsyuk + Zetterberg + a time machine to go back 15 years.

Larkin for Karlsson

Are you mad, man?! Larkin is a good young player, but Karlsson outscores him... as a defenceman.

The point about the expansion draft is valid, but if this trade were to happen, it would likely be after the season, as we need Methot for this season. Also, Methot is a good top 4 Dman, and won't be given away, especially with how valuable Dmen are in the league these days, there would be a lot of teams that would want him to upgrade their backend. I could see him traded for picks and/or prospects next offseason.

Easily done, Karlsson as a D-man most likely puts up as many points as Larkin. Considering what that he just put up about what 82 points this past season.

Exactly correct. Though I don't see any asset on the Wings currently I would trade Karlsson for. It would have to start with Larkin, with copious numbers of first round picks added. Though given that the Wings are in the playoffs every year, those picks would be far too low to make up the large value gap between EK and Larkin, especially considering EK's amazing contract.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Datsyuk + Zetterberg + a time machine to go back 15 years.

Are you mad, man?! Larkin is a good young player, but Karlsson outscores him... as a defenceman.

The point about the expansion draft is valid, but if this trade were to happen, it would likely be after the season, as we need Methot for this season. Also, Methot is a good top 4 Dman, and won't be given away, especially with how valuable Dmen are in the league these days, there would be a lot of teams that would want him to upgrade their backend. I could see him traded for picks and/or prospects next offseason.

Exactly correct. Though I don't see any asset on the Wings currently I would trade Karlsson for. It would have to start with Larkin, with copious numbers of first round picks added. Though given that the Wings are in the playoffs every year, those picks would be far too low to make up the large value gap between EK and Larkin, especially considering EK's amazing contract.

Yeah Karlsson to Detroit would be a major pipedream, Detroit just doesn't have the pieces for Karlsson unless a 3 way was involved.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
:amazed:

ok thread I guess

Again, another trade proposal where I don't see any reason why Ottawa would do it.

Detroit needs PMD, preferebly RH. Does Methot check either of those boxes?

Oh and there is this thing called a salary cap. Not sure if you have heard of it. Basically, it limits how much a team is allowed to spend on their roster.

It would be STUPID for a team up against the cap to trade a relatively cheap player for a more expensive one, that doesn't fill a need.

Last edited:

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Detroit needs PMD, preferebly RH. Does Methot check either of those boxes?

Oh and there is this thing called a salary cap. Not sure if you have heard of it. Basically, it limits how much a team is allowed to spend on their roster.

It would be STUPID for a team up against the cap to trade a relatively cheap player for a more expensive one, that doesn't fill a need.

Methot is no slouch, but to call him a PMD wouldn't be accurate, no.

Know that you're exaggerating, but wouldn't give you either one in their prime for Karlsson. Let alone both.

Both is an exaggeration, but if you are telling me you wouldn't trade a prime aged Zetterberg for a ppg DMAN, especially since you have been looking for an elite PMD since Lidstrom retired, then I just don't know what to say to that. Its even worse considering that you are a division rival, so overpayment is needed.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Both is an exaggeration, but if you are telling me you wouldn't trade a prime aged Zetterberg for a ppg DMAN, especially since you have been looking for an elite PMD since Lidstrom retired, then I just don't know what to say to that. Its even worse considering that you are a division rival, so overpayment is needed.

Prime aged Z is a tough call. Prime Datsyuk is a straight up no, every time.

Crazy scenario to even ponder, since Z hasn't been that 90 pt guy that also provides excellent defense in forever now :(

I think Z was a more well rounded player and also great leader, so not sure I could do it even with as bad as we need help on the blue line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad