Rumor: Red Wings offer Raphael Diaz a Camp Invite

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
He's been a #7 d man his entire career, and I don't think he'd be anything else here or in Calgary.

Guys coming in on a try out aren't going to be regulars, typically.

Then I view it as a good thing. I don't really understand why Holland continues to try and block the kids from playing especially after the display last year. I also don't understand why anyone would really care that Diaz went to Calgary over Detroit.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Then I view it as a good thing. I don't really understand why Holland continues to try and block the kids from playing especially after the display last year. I also don't understand why anyone would really care that Diaz went to Calgary over Detroit.

I don't either. I understand he's stuck in his ways, but Jurco, Nyquist, and Sheahan got the team into the playoffs, and preserved his precious playoff streak.

You would think that would be an eye opener for him. He talks up prospects, and then finds ways to block them. Fall back plan in free agency was the kids, then he abandons that as soon as it's the option staring him in the face.

It's hard to take anything he says seriously.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Diaz would pretty much need to beat out five other players in order to earn a spot in the lineup, and six in order to play. I can see why he'd prefer to look elsewhere.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Yeah sad Is'nt it.

Bottom line is this: If you do not have a contract, and you need to do a PTO. Go to the worst team possible because that is the only way to try to get some playing time and save your career. It is clear that Calgary is a worse team. Thus its a no brainer for him to go to Calgary.

If he got a contract here, our team only gets worse anyway.

This is win-win for both sides!

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Bottom line is this: If you do not have a contract, and you need to do a PTO. Go to the worst team possible because that is the only way to try to get some playing time and save your career. It is clear that Calgary is a worse team. Thus its a no brainer for him to go to Calgary.

If he got a contract here, our team only gets worse anyway.

This is win-win for both sides!

Excellent point, Calgary can use Diaz a lot more then us. So you're right it is a win win situation for both sides.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
That said if it came down to Diaz vs Kindl/Lashoff I wouldnt mind Diaz one bit.

I suppose my counterpoint is: If Kindl and Lashoff are not NHL caliber anymore.

Would we rather try XO or Diaz? Or Marchenko/Sproul or Diaz?

(I don't actually have an answer here, im just posing the question)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Diaz is a pretty legitimate passer on the PP, yes his shot isn't great, but he could hold the umbrella allowing Kronwall to sink in more. It was worth talking about, but yes not much is lost. This does put more heat on Kindl and Lashoff, some might not buy it but the talk is getting pretty strong in terms of both being on shaky ground and this is more evidence of that.

It is on Marchenko and XO to have big camps. Lashoff is an AHL captain type player, he just isn't NHL caliber without significant progress, I see no harm in replacing him as the seven guy with a player in Diaz that I would have preferred. Kindl really needs a change of scenery, I am curious if he hits the waiver wire if somebody scoops him up. Lashoff should be bounced first though, as frustrating as Kindl is he still has moments where he is a NHL caliber player the same cannot be said for Lashoff.

The obvious answer is we all would like one of the kids to claim this spot, but Diaz on a PTO would have likely bumped Lashoff at least mercifully off the NHL roster.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
We should give Joni Pitkanen a camp invite. He's surely better than Quincey, Kindl, or Lashoff.

I don't think it's possible to play hockey on one skate.

****, is it really that bad?

Yep. See here: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/05/report-carolinas-pitkanen-heel-not-close-to-returning/

But for that injury, he'd probably have been signed within the first few days of free agency, assuming he wouldn't have been re-signed by the Hurricanes already. He's still a viable top-four defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad