Red Wings Must Consider Brendan Smith Trade

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Smith's good advanced stats are based on his play at the 3rd pair against easier opponents. It gives good looking stats for him. But he can't handle TOP4 duties ever. So his history at Detroit is over.

But that kind of, good 3rd pairing guy is a good asset for a real contender, who will want depth on their defence. Maybe their own 3rd pair will suck, or they just want insurance policy, if somebody will get injured.

Justin Schultz was kind of the same, sucked at big ice-time on a bad team, but now thriwes against easier opponents at very deep Pittsburgh.

At the playoffs, you have to prepare for injuries, or your run could end, if bad things will happen. You don't know before if they would happen, but you have to prepare. Every GM knows this, you have to prepare, when there's a real chance.

I really think Smith would be great fit for Penguins.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
^this is false. He now see's time against top lines and does just fine. I would not consider them easier opponents.

Smith is trash. I dont see him panning out elsewhere because he doesnt have the tool box. Schultz did, he was just in the wrong system on the wrong team.

Smith has none of thee above.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
^this is false. He now see's time against top lines and does just fine. I would not consider them easier opponents.

Smith is trash. I dont see him panning out elsewhere because he doesnt have the tool box. Schultz did, he was just in the wrong system on the wrong team.

Smith has none of thee above.

Do you know to quote the post you refer to?:help:
It is easy, you just press the "quote" button. :teach2:

Anyhow, you post does not make sense. You say he faces top lines and does just fine and then you say he sucks. Which one is it?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Smith was good last year. Now he just is back to his old bottom pair self

And that sucks cause he probably is top 4 on this team top 2 on a hot streak. Eww

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Do you know to quote the post you refer to?:help:
It is easy, you just press the "quote" button. :teach2:

Anyhow, you post does not make sense. You say he faces top lines and does just fine and then you say he sucks. Which one is it?
I think he's saying that Schultz now faces top lines and does fine, while Smith sucks and will never turn it around. Which I would agree with.

Schultz struggled badly on the defensive side in Edmonton, but he at least had 3 straight seasons of 30+ point hockey. Smith's biggest issue has never been that he's bad defensively, it's that he's never shown much offense at the pro level. He's never provided the offensive game that makes one overlook some defensive errors. In fact, I've never been impressed with Smith's offensive IQ. Not once. He's always looked bad in the o-zone to me. That's why I still have some hope that Sproul can become something good, he at least looks like he has good offensive-IQ and looks great walking the blueline on the powerplay. Cleaning up defensive mistakes is easier than putting the offensive side together.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
We aren't even bottom five. That, along with him not being the 7/8 does change a lot about your comment.

How? Our defensemen can't move the puck, minus Green. They're positionally bad. The team is in the bottom 10 in GA, and generally has had better goaltending (unhappiness with Mrazek notwithstanding) than most of those teams (Calgary for most of the season, St. Louis, Winnipeg, Philly and Dallas have all had significantly worse goaltending, just to start with). I'm not sure there's a team who's defense I'd less rather have. Colorado and Arizona, maybe?

Is it your opinion that all of the complaints over the last few seasons about our defense were 'careless hyperbole' and that it's actually a decent unit? I'm not aware of a single measure, statistical or 'eye'-based, that would back that up.

Additionally, Smith hasn't played a game in GR (that I could find evidence of) since 2013. In the meantime, he played 63 games last season, and 24 this season. In 2015/16, he only had one 'injury', an illness in November that cause him to miss ~10 days, in total. The other players who missed nearly as many games actually had injuries. I couldn't find a stat that showed the specific scratch log, but he's the only guy who was on the roster that much and missed that much time without injury. Additionally, the only regular defender he out-TOI'd was Marchenko. Even when he played, he played less than nearly everyone else.

I will say that I somehow missed his injury time this season when I was counting, which is surprising because I found it immediately when I looked just now. Given his time out, it's hard to say how the scratches and press box time would've come down, but suggesting that he would have more would be conjecture. Mea culpa.

Moreover, I was going to post examples of the defenseman who landed decent picks at the deadline who were, themselves, average players, but the options were overwhelming.

Cool, how many of those players were trashed by their own fan base constantly and repeatedly, until it came down to trade time, when suddenly they were worth the moon?

Lastly, I don't give a **** about Smith. And if he lands a 3rd or 4th or 5th or 7th? Great. What I do give a **** about is people making careless, hyperbolic, fictitious claims about how bad a player is.

And I don't particularly go for the ludicrous hypocritical back-and-forth on guys like Smith. I liked Smith. I think Smith was a contributor and one of the only guys with any backbone in the playoffs last year. That was a distinctly minority opinion (and I don't just mean on this board). If Brendan Smith was so bad last year, he hasn't really done anything this year to improve that stock.

[quoet]It adds nothing to discussion when you want to make Brendan Smith (or any other player) out to be the worst of the worst when he flat-out isn't. He is an average-minded depth defenseman who skates very well, fits in on the bottom-pairing, brings physicality when necessary and has an extra gear for the playoffs which is about the only time he plays consistent hockey.[/quote]

I look forward to seeing this opinion widely restated in any and all future Smith conversations.

And I don't see any homerism here. People know Smith is a flawed NHLer. The fact remains that NHL GMs trade for flawed NHLers time and time again when it comes to depth for the playoffs when the price is right.

People think Smith is trash and should be cut until they start thinking about the shiny draft picks we can get for him. People think our defense is trash until they want to sell it. That's homerism.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He's not a healthy scratch right now, He's been out the last month or so with a knee injury and he's due back sometime next month after the all star game.

That's funny. I honestly thought he was sitting just bc he was so terrible earlier this season.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Some teams like Winnipeg, Tampa Bay and even Montreal, that needs a LHD even though they traded for Nesterov, should consider Smith.

I'm thinking he is erring towards Kindl territory fast.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Let's say Stamkos isn't coming back before playoff time, their salary cap situation is pretty good. They should trade for Smith for a B prospect or a 3rd / 4th.

He would be a better option than Sustr, Dotchin or Witkowski.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Remove the brain farts and hes a pretty good dman. Unfortunately he is the king of brain farts.

My favorite is when the Wings were scraping to get into the playoffs, do or die games, and in a total nailbiter he plays the puck from the bench. And of course penalty, Babcock is furious, Smith gets scratched the next game.

I'ts like he can't help himself sometimes.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
"Must consider"? :laugh: Like Smith is some blue chipper who is going to bring a massive return? Who cares... how about something that might actually move the needle?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad