Red Wings most potential young goalie #1 - voting

Red Wings most potential young goalie #1 ?

• G - Victor Brattstrom

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • G - Kaden Fulcher

• G - Carter Gylander

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hoping all this time off will let Larsson get toally healthy for the first time in awhile. I still have some belief in that kid. He had a very strong 2 year run in the USHL and NCAA, so he would still be my top guy for sure. Then Petruzzelli would be #2.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Larsson and Petruzelli are a coin flip to me and are clearly our best goalie prospects.

I haven't written off Eliasson, Brattstrom or Gylander but don't really know what to make of their upside at this point.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Yeah, I think it's Larsson and Petruzelli clearly above the rest at the moment. I am still holding out hope that Larsson can gather himself and put together a solid year next year in the AHL. I'm also hoping this down time will do him some good. For goalies so much of the game is mental.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Once the #4 pick is in... Askarov.

giphy.gif

Right Step Brotha Scouting: @Bench

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Dude after the way this year has gone... you trying to kill me?

Having the best goalie in the world from 24-30 would be pretty nice...

I don't think we pick him, though I am not certain he is dropping down a lot of teams boards that badly. We will see, but an Askarov or Drysdale for me points for a longer three year sort of plan by Yzerman, especially Askarov to me would just signal yes they were sky high on him as a Vezina kind of goalie and they know they have a couple more years of pain so his development pattern while they gain a couple more high draft picks before trying to explode upwards is fine with their timeline.

We will see, but I would rather have him than Rossi and that guy seems to have lots of fans. Goalies are risky, I get it, but the idea this kid isn't a big time starter, kind of like with Knight just seems so low, I am willing to buy on the decade of control for elite in net. Vasy and Gibson are not bad players to have, we have a lot to build out, goalie is one of those spots. We can go free agency, but I am not going to kill the move and Yzerman is the kind of guy that would do it without blinking if that is what they think is best on their turn.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
At this point Petruzzelli, but he needs to complete another strong season next year for me to really start to feel confident about him moving forward.

Larsson had the worst possible season he could've unfortunately, with being demoted to Toledo, struggling to initially find his game there as well (I know he had a good run later in the season) and then missing a few months due to injury. Maybe I overrated him going into this year, but I definitely expected him to be better, at least a .900-903 backup for Grand Rapids.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think we pick him, though I am not certain he is dropping down a lot of teams boards that badly. We will see, but an Askarov or Drysdale for me points for a longer three year sort of plan by Yzerman, especially Askarov to me would just signal yes they were sky high on him as a Vezina kind of goalie and they know they have a couple more years of pain so his development pattern while they gain a couple more high draft picks before trying to explode upwards is fine with their timeline.

We will see, but I would rather have him than Rossi and that guy seems to have lots of fans. Goalies are risky, I get it, but the idea this kid isn't a big time starter, kind of like with Knight just seems so low, I am willing to buy on the decade of control for elite in net. Vasy and Gibson are not bad players to have, we have a lot to build out, goalie is one of those spots. We can go free agency, but I am not going to kill the move and Yzerman is the kind of guy that would do it without blinking if that is what they think is best on their turn.

You don’t want your best player to be a goalie, and you don’t want to kick the can any further down the road on this rebuild.

You can frame it however you want, but I’ll be 100x more mad at drafting Askarov than you would with Rossi. Would be a real kick in the gut to come out of quarantine and then have to deal with that bullshit.

Even if he is Price, what’s that ever done for Montreal? Look at Montreal and the Rangers. Had Price and Lundvist for years and it didn’t matter for shit.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I went with Petruzzelli in the poll. He's the one I've heard and read the most about on the list and everything is favorable thus far. Wonder if he or Larsson gets a cup of coffee in the big time whenever the next season is.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

This is a conversation I've avoided pushing in other threads because I just don't want to really get into it, but I think we need to be ready for the reality that Yzerman doesn't see Larkin/Bertuzzi/Mantha/Hronek/Fabbri as a group to build around and at least another couple of them will be dealt while some more guys are ripened in GR.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This is a conversation I've avoided pushing in other threads because I just don't want to really get into it, but I think we need to be ready for the reality that Yzerman doesn't see Larkin/Bertuzzi/Mantha/Hronek/Fabbri as a group to build around and at least another couple of them will be dealt while some more guys are ripened in GR.

I kind of lean towards it is likely at this point in terms of a bigger rebuild. Again I think if we go Askarov or Drysdale it hints towards a deeper build. Of course he might decide against that if we can weaponize our cap space coming out of this. I am not sure we have the same landscape, my guess is a lot of teams are talking through a multitude of ideas that frankly didn't exist even as recently as the trade deadline. I will be curious, I think he has a vision for where we are heading but this season couldn't have won a lot of faith in the organizational wide audit Yzerman was performing. I am curious how he attacks it this summer or frankly if he even attacks it very hard this summer. I think there will be an aggressive phase, I am just not sure how quickly that will come anymore. We might not be ready and it is hard to predict given the current unknowns but it is hard to picture us climbing out of the bottom five next year.

If we were to sign a Lehner it impacts this kind of discussion as well.

Now I think Larsson is still probably our best bet, but he has had very serious groin problems, I am not sure he is going to stay healthy in terms of the general question. I am not sure our answer in goal is in the organization. These guys remain pretty far off right now and with too many question marks. It is why an Askarov play would make sense, it just probably doesn't fit value wise in terms of draft position but I am not certain Yzerman will see it that way. We have a lot of holes to address, but lottery luck smiling on us would be nice if we can just get Lafreniere or Byfield there is no real debate to be had.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You don’t want your best player to be a goalie, and you don’t want to kick the can any further down the road on this rebuild.

You can frame it however you want, but I’ll be 100x more mad at drafting Askarov than you would with Rossi. Would be a real kick in the gut to come out of quarantine and then have to deal with that bullshit.

Even if he is Price, what’s that ever done for Montreal? Look at Montreal and the Rangers. Had Price and Lundvist for years and it didn’t matter for shit.

They built pretty flawed teams around them. I think we need a legitimate #1 center to win even if we have Askarov.

I don't think Rossi is going to be a legitimate #1C so my distinction there is easy...

But pretty sure the Rangers went to a cup final and were one of the best teams in the league. They didn't complete it but I don't really fault Lundqvist they just couldn't find the right parts at the right time, similar to what kept Luongo out. Montreal has never built a team I consider more than first round fodder around Price so not shocking.

What Roy, Belfour, Hasek, Brodeur, Quick, MAF, Thomas, Rask

most of these guys are headliners and certainly strong #1s Osgood, Holtby and Crawford were also legitimate top half the league starters even while being looked down on. I understand devaluing the goaltending position, but having an elite one is still an edge, it still has value. You need to build a good team around them still, you can hope Jordan Binnington walks through at the right time, but not really on board with the idea anyone can do it.

You can also keep the control here on Askarov as his first couple contracts should be lower in terms of that building element, if you have some luck there. I am not saying I am for paying him 10 million per at least not until he proves to be a Vezina guy and there you can have the harder conversation. But there is value to having a superstar in net, you cannot do little else when building the roster, but I am hoping that isn't really Yzerman or the Wings plan anyway and that we can find a star either in house or at the draft at some point.

We will see he has slid to 6 on my list, so even I would be willing to go in different directions, but I really still believe he is a superstar caliber goalie and should be evaluated if we are not drafting 1st or 2nd.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
They built pretty flawed teams around them. I think we need a legitimate #1 center to win even if we have Askarov.

I don't think Rossi is going to be a legitimate #1C so my distinction there is easy...

But pretty sure the Rangers went to a cup final and were one of the best teams in the league. They didn't complete it but I don't really fault Lundqvist they just couldn't find the right parts at the right time, similar to what kept Luongo out. Montreal has never built a team I consider more than first round fodder around Price so not shocking.

What Roy, Belfour, Hasek, Brodeur, Quick, MAF, Thomas, Rask

most of these guys are headliners and certainly strong #1s Osgood, Holtby and Crawford were also legitimate top half the league starters even while being looked down on. I understand devaluing the goaltending position, but having an elite one is still an edge, it still has value. You need to build a good team around them still, you can hope Jordan Binnington walks through at the right time, but not really on board with the idea anyone can do it.

You can also keep the control here on Askarov as his first couple contracts should be lower in terms of that building element, if you have some luck there. I am not saying I am for paying him 10 million per at least not until he proves to be a Vezina guy and there you can have the harder conversation. But there is value to having a superstar in net, you cannot do little else when building the roster, but I am hoping that isn't really Yzerman or the Wings plan anyway and that we can find a star either in house or at the draft at some point.

We will see he has slid to 6 on my list, so even I would be willing to go in different directions, but I really still believe he is a superstar caliber goalie and should be evaluated if we are not drafting 1st or 2nd.

We will struggle to build around a goalie too when we use a top 4 pick on a goalie and not a forward/defenseman. It will be the same thing. This might be the highest pick we get in this rebuild. Nothing is guaranteed. Someone else could get worse than us. We could go on an inexplicable hot streak at the end of the year. A million things could happen to where we don’t finish dead last again.

You don’t have the needs this team does and sit there and take a goalie at #4. It’s not cute. It’s not funny. It’s just dumb.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
@The Zetterberg Era ... Sorry, I'm a little on edge this week with everything going on in the world. I have Rossi and Askarov ranked 7/8, so I see where you are coming from, and I could see liking Askarov more than Rossi.

I really think it would be a pretty bad miscalculation to draft a goalie at #4 with what this team needs, and with the way the lottery is, you really have to make every pick count and can't rely on getting #1 or #2 pick later on in your re-build. I would view it similarly to the lions drafting TJ Hockenson top 10 with all the other needs they have. Do I like the player? Yeah. But it's just not a good use of assets.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We will struggle to build around a goalie too when we use a top 4 pick on a goalie and not a forward/defenseman. It will be the same thing. This might be the highest pick we get in this rebuild. Nothing is guaranteed. Someone else could get worse than us. We could go on an inexplicable hot streak at the end of the year. A million things could happen to where we don’t finish dead last again.

You don’t have the needs this team does and sit there and take a goalie at #4. It’s not cute. It’s not funny. It’s just dumb.

I don't really agree with this. If you draft the right one there can be value. But you need to believe he is an elite multiple Vezina guy. I personally do on Askarov.

I agree that it is risky and it is the reason he sits at 6 on my board at this point, I believe enough in the five guys in front of him to not gamble on an elite franchise corner piece goalie because of how tough goalie can be. But I am not going to kill Yzerman if he says hey we think he is the only franchise altering player left on the board and pulls the trigger. I heard he was extremely high on several team boards entering the year and many probably are still high on him, we will have to see. But I don't think we have much to debate goalie wise if we do take him. He should be our starter in around three years, one question would be answered in the rebuild for sure.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
For me, it is between Larsson and Petruzzelli. It's harder to tell where Petruzzelli's development is, but that might work in his favor. He's certainly got the size advantage.

None have convinced me they will be an NHL starter any time soon.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
In the last 20 years, how many NHL franchises have done a worse job than Detroit at drafting and developing goalies?

Boy, not many. Howard was a good find but beyond that it's been rough.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00