Red Wings Look to Ignite Scoring

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
"During the recent six game win streak for the Detroit Red Wings, they scored 21 goals and gave up just eight. Since then, they’ve been outscored ten to five and lost games against the Boston Bruins, Florida Panthers, and Philadelphia Flyers. Although it doesn’t have a direct correlation, Thomas Vanek has missed their last four games. How can Detroit increase their scoring and start taking pressure off of their goaltending?"

Read more here...

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2016/11/03/red-wings-look-ignite-scoring/

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
I would call up Mantha and waive Miller.

Tatar-Nielsen-Larkin
AA-Z-Mantha
Abdelkader-Helm-Nyquist
Sheahan-LGD-Ott

When Vanek comes back, Ott goes out and you swap Vanek for Abby.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
Abdelkader | Zetterberg | Larkin - This line worked last year and they did well for a while. Re-unite it.

AA | Nielsen | Tatar - The left over line basically; let them gain some chemistry. Rotate Sheahan and AA depending who you are playing and how they play. Sheahan needs a wake up anyway.

Vanek | Helm | Nyquist - Keep this line 3 once Vanek returns. It was a big part of our success.

Ott | Glendenning | Miller - I like this line. No point playing AA or Mantha in one of their spots. These guys grind it out and kill penalties. AA/Mantha aren't here to do that.

Also, maybe drop Nielsen to line 2 to gain some confidence and jump start his production..

Last edited:

chris05

May 23, 2013
usually well coached teams can generate team goals with six players on the ice. unfortunately the wings are not a well coached team. my suggestion is to play AA a little more with some complimentary players that have vision and skill.... some teams play to win the game....the wings play to showcase....who and what????

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
A lot of the problem isn't the forward group, it's the offensive blackhole that is the defense.

It's a big part but it's not the only part. Look at the massive gaps between our forward and D on every breakout attempt, for instance. Our forwards just seem to leave our guys in back out to dry. They get pressured, and the only people to throw it to is either their partner (who is also being pressured) or a forward sixty feet up the ice standing stock still waiting for a miracle.

This isn't to say I'm against upgrading the blueline, or even just changing our philosophy a bit, but we don't do ourselves a lot of favors. Especially when we're in a bit of a funk.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
where do you insert Bertuzzi next season?

3rd line suits him is my guess.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
If you want to score more don't play Zetterberg 19 minutes a game, don't give Larkin less minutes per game than he got last season, and don't bench Ryan Sproul.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
I would call up Mantha and waive Miller.

Tatar-Nielsen-Larkin
AA-Z-Mantha
Abdelkader-Helm-Nyquist
Sheahan-LGD-Ott

When Vanek comes back, Ott goes out and you swap Vanek for Abby.

take sheham out for Vanek.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
"During the recent six game win streak for the Detroit Red Wings, they scored 21 goals and gave up just eight. Since then, they’ve been outscored ten to five and lost games against the Boston Bruins, Florida Panthers, and Philadelphia Flyers. Although it doesn’t have a direct correlation, Thomas Vanek has missed their last four games. How can Detroit increase their scoring and start taking pressure off of their goaltending?"

Read more here...

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2016/11/03/red-wings-look-ignite-scoring/

It's just a coincidence. But we did barely win against St. Louis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad