Speculation: Red Wings in contract years

uvgt2bkdnme

Jul 4, 2009
Los Angeles
Looking at Brendan Smith, Gustav Nyquist, Dan Cleary, Tomas Jurco, Joakim Andersson, and Jonas Gustavsson, I predicted how their seasons would go and guessed about how that would affect their next contracts.

http://alongtheboards.com/2014/10/look-red-wings-soon-free-agents/

I didn't include Landon Ferraro, Mitch Callahan, or any of the other players that would probably spend most of next season in the minors.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
He seems a little faster this year, Then in previous years.

His goal was to skate beside Cleary all preseason to give the illusion of him being faster. Just Joke's.

Thanks for the link and read. Not sure if I agree with the Smith number but a well put together read. My guess they opt for the 3 year deal around 3.25-3.5 like Ericsson got or do the longer term 5 year 4-4.25.

Last edited:

uvgt2bkdnme

Jul 4, 2009
Los Angeles
Thanks for the link and read. Not sure if I agree with the Smith number but a well put together read. My guess they opt for the 3 year deal around 3.25-3.5 like Ericsson got or do the longer term 5 year 4-4.25.

Really difficult to pin down what kind of term Smith will get because I think the money will more or less set itself once they establish the length of the contract. Could be similar to the Ryan Johansen negotiations where they might discuss different contract offer options, a short, medium, and long-term options, before settling on one.

Thanks for the compliments.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
His goal was to skate beside Cleary all preseason to give the illusion of him being faster. Just Joke's.

Agree,Unless Smith stones it on the PP,..I doubt he gets more than Nyquist

Thanks for the article

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Superbly written article. You really know these things.

Except for you know, the defining characteristics of some of the players written about.

Andersson provides a good-sized body to go along with a healthy amount of speed. For the Red Wings, team speed was a major issue last season. Andersson provides good wheels[.]

The only way Andersson has a "healthy" amount of speed is if "healthy" is being used as a synonym for "allows him to move his body across an ice surface." I'd question whether Andy could win a foot race with Todd Bertuzzi or Dan Cleary.

davecrockburn

Jun 8, 2011
I can't see Smith getting over 4mill as of now. We will see if his point totals go up this season then that may change things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad