Recalled/Assigned: Red Wings have recalled Xavier Ouellet

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
If XO doesn't play over Kindl this organization has its head in the sand even more than I thought. Kindl has been a new level of awful.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I hope he replaces Lashoff because he has been marginally worse than Kindl thus far, both have been pretty bad. If he does replace Kindl, what do I have to do to get Smith some PP time, seriously what is it going to take? I am sick and tired of watching DeKeyser butcher entries and blow every single shot wide, if we cannot get him off, I will settle for getting Kindl off and maybe Smith won't give DeKeyser the puck in the middle of the ice. There is a reason the kid didn't even play on the first PP unit in college Babs. :facepalm:

You have to wonder what could have been in terms of Marchenko if he didn't hurt his ankle. That is an injury because it happened with the Griffins a lot of people aren't paying attention to, but he would have likely been playing over one of Lashoff or Kindl already, maybe XO bumps the other and while we would be playing two pretty young guys the lineup would be much better. Marchenko with the right handed shot and a bigger body that has played in men's league playoff games and is a smooth confident defender would have been huge from what we have seen out of our third pairing. Both Marchenko and XO are ready for next year, might cost Almqvist his spot in the organization hopefully it costs Lashoff his and we trade Kindl as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I hope he replaces Lashoff because he has been marginally worse than Kindl thus far, both have been pretty bad. If he does replace Kindl, what do I have to do to get Smith some PP time, seriously what is it going to take? I am sick and tired of watching DeKeyser butcher entries and blow every single shot wide, if we cannot get him off, I will settle for getting Kindl off and maybe Smith won't give DeKeyser the puck in the middle of the ice. There is a reason the kid didn't even play on the first PP unit in college Babs. :facepalm:

You have to wonder what could have been in terms of Marchenko if he didn't hurt his ankle. That is an injury because it happened with the Griffins a lot of people aren't paying attention to, but he would have likely been playing over one of Lashoff or Kindl already, maybe XO bumps the other and while we would be playing two pretty young guys the lineup would be much better. Marchenko with the right handed shot and a bigger body that has played in men's league playoff games and is a smooth confident defender would have been huge from what we have seen out of our third pairing. Both Marchenko and XO are ready for next year, might cost Almqvist his spot in the organization hopefully it costs Lashoff his and we trade Kindl as well.

Preach. I second all of this.

Babcock is so conservative, he will go with a safe guy like Dekeyser on the PP, even if he provides little to none offensive playmaking ability.

End of last game when we needed a push, Smith was stepping up and gaining the zone at will, making things happen.

We see it in the 3rd period all the time. That speed through the neutral zone, and playmaking would be a welcome addition to our stale power play.

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010

I was actually a fan of the Kindl when we signed it, thought he broke through last season but he was so brutal this season I don't even know if he is movable.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I was actually a fan of the Kindl when we signed it, thought he broke through last season but he was so brutal this season I don't even know if he is movable.

I don't either, wonder if some scouts around the league see some of the positives and think he just needs a change of scenery. He doesn't make that much money if somebody believes. I used to defend him thought he took a big step last year, but the less physically engaged and more turnover prone Kindl has reappeared, though I do think he was a little better in the stretch run and is outplaying Lashoff who has been flat out awful. I hope they get rid of both as quickly as possible to be honest.

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
It's hard to figure out... not sure if it's a confidence issue or what but as you said he seemed to be much more physical last year and I just haven't seen the same thing. I thought in game one he was actually quite good, looked a lot like 12-13 Kindl but he just has these stretches now where the mistakes just seem to feed off each other and he struggles even to make simple plays and next thing you know we are scrambling just to erase one of his blunders. I agree on Lashoff, absolutely zero hockey IQ. If Lashoff played on an open pond he wouldn't know what to do with himself...every puck would be in the snow bank without boards to chip off of.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Preach. I second all of this.

Babcock is so conservative, he will go with a safe guy like Dekeyser on the PP, even if he provides little to none offensive playmaking ability.

End of last game when we needed a push, Smith was stepping up and gaining the zone at will, making things happen.

We see it in the 3rd period all the time. That speed through the neutral zone, and playmaking would be a welcome addition to our stale power play.

Since no one else can break into the zone on a PP we might as well try Smith. He has the speed and ability to do it.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If Ouellet plays ahead of Lash or Kindl, I will be so happy
Yeah, while I don't think that would be the difference between winning and losing I simply don't see a future for those two on this team and I'd much rather see the more talented Ouellet play, both as a test of what he's really made of and to let him get the valuable experience of playoff hockey. Him and Sproul are much more likely to have long time Red Wings careers than Kindl and Lashoff.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
http://www.freep.com/article/20140423/SPORTS05/304230120/detroit-red-wings-xavier-ouellet

Detroit Free Press:
Ouellet was called up as a precaution, Holland said, because the Griffins were scheduled to fly to Abbotsford, British Columbia, on Wednesday, and, “I don’t want to wake up tomorrow and find out we need a defenseman. It would be tough to get the player here,” Holland said. Ouellet, who played in the last game of the regular season, was excited to be back. “Every time they tell you they want you up here, it’s always an amazing feeling,” he said.

That doesn't look to me as if they're planning on playing him.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Would it even make sense to put him in for Lashoff or Kindl? We've given up 0, 3, and 2 goals. And probably at least 2 of those were Jimmy-soft. That's not bad from a defensive point of view. Best case scenario rookie Oullet comes in and looks unremarkable as he's defensively sound and doesn't give away stupid scoring chances. Is he going to help our offense? Because that's what we need.

If he had a rocket of a shot or moves like Smith that'd be one thing. But a solid, reliable defender is not what this team is craving and it's not going to make a difference right now.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Would it even make sense to put him in for Lashoff or Kindl? We've given up 0, 3, and 2 goals. And probably at least 2 of those were Jimmy-soft. That's not bad from a defensive point of view. Best case scenario rookie Oullet comes in and looks unremarkable as he's defensively sound and doesn't give away stupid scoring chances. Is he going to help our offense? Because that's what we need.

If he had a rocket of a shot or moves like Smith that'd be one thing. But a solid, reliable defender is not what this team is craving and it's not going to make a difference right now.

Getting out of our zone easier helps the offense a lot, I'd argue

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Getting out of our zone easier helps the offense a lot, I'd argue

It could. And I admittedly don't know a ton about XO. Is he really going to be significantly better than Kindl and Lashoff at that? In his first ever NHL playoff game? Playing with completely new teammates?

Don't get me wrong I'd love for him to prove me wrong. I just don't see it as very likely. I think it's most likely that the best we can hope for from him is to keep the puck out of our net, which was never really the problem to begin with, so we might as well stick with known quantities and wait til next year to give him his shot.

kdfsjljklgjfg

Apr 4, 2007
Gloversville, NY
Would it even make sense to put him in for Lashoff or Kindl? We've given up 0, 3, and 2 goals. And probably at least 2 of those were Jimmy-soft. That's not bad from a defensive point of view.

Did you SEE all of the turnovers leaving the zone last game by defensemen? It may not have shown up on the scoreboard, but there were times where the defense was quite horrific in our zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00