Rumor: Red Wings have multiple short-term offers on table for Green

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
So if Green signs, there is zero chance of a young defender making the team, unless Detroit trades someone who is already on our roster (DeKeyser/Kronwall/Daley/Ericsson). Green (and Jensen) would constitute the 6 spots for a d-man and there is no way that Hronek or Hicketts will be a 7th d-man when they need consistent playing time to develop better.

So unless Kronwall LTI-Retires or one of Ericsson (who could also LTI-Retire), Daley, or DeKeyser gets traded...it makes no sense for Detroit to make this move.

I simply don't understand how you get younger and rebuild your team faster by pursuing Green (and even Kovalchuk for that matter), when you have no chance whatsoever of competing for a Cup in the next 5+ years. Detroit would have to be playing out of their minds and Toronto, Tampa, and Boston take a nose-dive for them to even sniff the playoffs.

This is clearly Ken Holland being Ken Holland and trying to figure out a way to bring a playoff run to a brand new arena, rather than admitting that he has royally messed up the franchise since Lidstrom retired. He should have retired, like he said he would, when Lidstrom left the game.

One of Kronwall/Ericsson is basically always hurt and Jensen could easily end up the 7th D.

I have no problem signing Green to one to two years as long as we actually trade him this time. It would be nice seeing an actual top 4d on this team

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
It's a long season and injuries will occur.

Red Wings will be sellers again and it would be a much better position to have depth to deal like Eriksson, Kronwall, Daley because you'd still have a guy like Green to insulate the youngsters.

The youngsters also got lots to learn from a part season down in the AHL or as the #6/7 in the NHL.

Cap space can't be carried forward.

There will be lots of opportunity for youngsters.

Seems like a common overreaction is that the Wings won't have room for young dmen, but when you look at their contracts they're pretty well set to have young guys start taking spots over the next 2-3 seasons...

Ouellet - has already basically been written off the team
Jensen - could be moved at next years deadline, or deal expires after upcoming season
Kronwall - likely retires after this upcoming season
Ericsson - two years left, could also move at 2019 deadline
Daley - two years left, could also move at 2019 deadline

Unless they get a spot this Fall, Hicketts and Hronek are probably locks to be full time NHLers by the time 19-20 starts when Jensen and Kronwall are likely gone. Sulak might be in that conversation too. Cholowski and possibly the dman they take at #6OA next weekend probably gets a permanent spot once Daley and Ericsson are gone and Sariijarvi, Lindstrom, and any others are wildcards that could come in in or beyond that time frame.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
One of Kronwall/Ericsson is basically always hurt and Jensen could easily end up the 7th D.

I have no problem signing Green to one to two years as long as we actually trade him this time. It would be nice seeing an actual top 4d on this team

The Red were uncharacteristically healthy on D this past season, with only 42 man games lost at the position (4 combined for Ericsson and Kronwall :skeptic:). That said, I would imagine it'll be back to normal next season.

As far as Jensen goes, from a value standpoint, I'd be apprehensive about burying him at #7. The only real ability he has is his skating, which is the trendy must have in the NHL right now. Looking at what some mediocre Dmen fetched at the past deadline, I feel like the Red Wings could get another couple of decent draft picks from a GM that has little to no cap flexibility but wants to add a speedy 3rd pairing or depth guy for the playoffs. I mean Kempny, with a much shorter NHL resume as Jensen, sat half the year as a healthy scratch in Chicago before fetching them a 3rd from the Caps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad