GDT: Red Wings @ Florida Panthers - 7:00 EST - FSD

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
the yotes are bad because mostly because of their goaltending

just the wings luck when they finally start to be bad that other teams are having historically bad seasons. colorado last year and now the yotes this year

The Coyotes have always been bad for most of my lifetime, even when they were in Winnipeg. They had flashes of talent here and there. They drafted Selanne, Tkachuk, Doan, and OEL. Problem is they either trade their star players or they jump ship as soon as their contract is up. Doan is the only life time Coyote I can really think of off the top of my head.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
The Coyotes have always been bad for most of my lifetime, even when they were in Winnipeg. They had flashes of talent here and there. They drafted Selanne, Tkachuk, Doan, and OEL. Problem is they either trade their star players or they jump ship as soon as their contract is up. Doan is the only life time Coyote I can really think of off the top of my head.
Roenick?

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Every season there's an "up and coming" team that eventually fades away. Panthers are one of those teams. Wild I think was one back in 2013ish. I predict TML will be another when their kids start getting paid and they turn on Babcock.

NHL is very fickle.

The Leafs have like 2-3 years before the team revolts against Babcock.
So they better win soon.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Winger Jason Demers was perhaps the worst D-man in the league last year. He deserved to be dealt, that was Tallon's hand getting back on the rudder and starting to fix the mess Rowe created. Demers game has fallen off a cliff as I am sure Phoenix fans are starting to dread during their winless start.

I don't watch must Florida, but I can't believe that as long as Detroit was playing games last year that there weren't at least three or four worse D hitting the ice. Everytime I see Demers, though, I don't really see anything special one way or another. In over his head at times, but I was never big on him in the first place - so maybe he just didn't have as far to fall with me.

That said, I'm not sure what anyone can gather from Arizona right now other than the goalies are awful. It's not even like Arizona gives up a ton of shots every night, their goalies are just sieves.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
I don't watch must Florida, but I can't believe that as long as Detroit was playing games last year that there weren't at least three or four worse D hitting the ice. Everytime I see Demers, though, I don't really see anything special one way or another. In over his head at times, but I was never big on him in the first place - so maybe he just didn't have as far to fall with me.

That said, I'm not sure what anyone can gather from Arizona right now other than the goalies are awful. It's not even like Arizona gives up a ton of shots every night, their goalies are just sieves.
Shot totals are overrated.

Quality of shots and scoring chances are more important.

There was a game a few years ago Washington v Toronto.

Washington is on the PP and Toronto coach puts a man on Ovechkin making it effectively a 4 on 3.
5+ times John Carlson takes the point shot with no traffic at the Leafs goalie. Definitely, padded the save % with easy shots.

*Looking up Carlson's game log I think it was the November 23, 2013 game*
Reimer had 50 shots.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Arizona is 7th best team in Scoring chances For/Against and 7th best also in High-Danger shots For/Against.

When they'll find a goalie who can stop pucks even at average level, they'll start winning.

Healthy Raanta and getting Wedgewood is like a new season start.

Reactions: TheMule93

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
the yotes are bad because mostly because of their goaltending

just the wings luck when they finally start to be bad that other teams are having historically bad seasons. colorado last year and now the yotes this year
Yotes don't have much star power up front and OEL has always been overrated. They're just not a very good team. And I'm not sure it reflects great on Chayka that he can't fix their goaltending. I mean we have two goalies that are probably available at the right price, losing because of goaltending is absolutely unacceptable in today's NHL.

Every season there's an "up and coming" team that eventually fades away. Panthers are one of those teams. Wild I think was one back in 2013ish. I predict TML will be another when their kids start getting paid and they turn on Babcock.

NHL is very fickle.
Wings were good to great for 10 years under Babcock, why do people think players will "turn" on him so much faster in Toronto? That team is going to win a lot, players won't start to tire of him until they start losing. Babcock teams are way too solid fundamentally to fade away.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yotes don't have much star power up front and OEL has always been overrated. They're just not a very good team. And I'm not sure it reflects great on Chayka that he can't fix their goaltending. I mean we have two goalies that are probably available at the right price, losing because of goaltending is absolutely unacceptable in today's NHL.

Wings were good to great for 10 years under Babcock, why do people think players will "turn" on him so much faster in Toronto? That team is going to win a lot, players won't start to tire of him until they start losing. Babcock teams are way too solid fundamentally to fade away.

To be fair, I think Raanta was the guy they wanted to ride as the starter, and he appears to have been at least average when he's played this year, but he's only played three games before ending up on the IR. And I don't think Arizona minds losing yet. I mean, they're still eating Bolland's contract while having the lowest payroll in the league. That time is coming to a close, though, I think.

And agree about Babcock/Toronto. Players might hate a guy, but if you're winning you can deal with it. Part of what sealed Babcock's fate here (other than the crazy amount of cash Toronto was throwing around) was that the winning was becoming less and less of a thing. A guy like Babcock is a lot harder to play for when you start losing more often.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
To be fair, I think Raanta was the guy they wanted to ride as the starter, and he appears to have been at least average when he's played this year, but he's only played three games before ending up on the IR. And I don't think Arizona minds losing yet. I mean, they're still eating Bolland's contract while having the lowest payroll in the league. That time is coming to a close, though, I think.

And agree about Babcock/Toronto. Players might hate a guy, but if you're winning you can deal with it. Part of what sealed Babcock's fate here (other than the crazy amount of cash Toronto was throwing around) was that the winning was becoming less and less of a thing. A guy like Babcock is a lot harder to play for when you start losing more often.
Sealed his fate?

He wasn't fired. He chose the Leafs offer over the Wings.

In addition to the dumptrucks full of cash the Leafs were offering, I think Babcock saw the writing on the wall about the future of the Wings that Holland is still in denial about.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Sealed his fate?

He wasn't fired. He chose the Leafs offer over the Wings.

In addition to the dumptrucks full of cash the Leafs were offering, I think Babcock saw the writing on the wall about the future of the Wings that Holland is still in denial about.

Lazlo, you and Winger are saying the exact same thing.

Maybe he should have said sealed the deal or justified his choice in picking the Leafs. Babcock chose the Leafs for money and a better long term outlook.

Reactions: Winger98

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Babcock knew he was done in Detroit.
The era was over. He could make those guys hate his guts, but for what? Maybe an 8th place finish and a first round exit?
His time in Detroit was over. Poor pathetic Ken Holland was the only guy on the planet who didn't know it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad