Red Wings Appreciation/Fanboy Thread

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
Hello all. I’ll be honest, I’ve been lurking around this forum for a long time, and I must say I’ve never felt more compelled to contribute than I do now. First, let me start by saying the wealth of knowledge around here is amazing, particularly when it comes to prospects (big props to ChadS and anyone else who comes here to give us updates on them by the way.) I enjoy reading the opinions of some of the more knowledgeable members on this board and I definitely think I’ve learned a few things while doing so.

With that said, there are quite a few things that have kept me from posting all these years. I have no doubt everyone that comes here is a die-hard Wings fan. I just think a few, admittedly very vocal (and dour) individuals, have kind of lost their perspective. We are privileged not only to be fans of the greatest sport ever played, but also fans of arguably the single greatest franchise in all of sports history (or at least for the last 20 or so years.) It is for that reason that we can’t be blamed for losing a little perspective from time to time.

I started watching the Wings in 1995. I remember the first season, feeling the heartbreak of being swept by a New Jersey Devils team that was supposedly so inferior. I remember seeing Stevie lift the cup for the first time in 97, winning the next one for Vladdy; Bowman lacing up the skates and doing a farewell victory lap in 02 and Zetterberg completely manhandling Sid the Kid in 08, making the “Next One†look like some random schlub straight out of juniors. I’ve seen some of the greatest players of all time finish their careers wearing the Winged Wheel. These are all fond memories that I'll always remember and I consider myself very fortunate to have witnessed them. I mean, think about that for a second, that is nearly 19 years (for me) of good memories and very few not so good ones that this team has provided for all of us.

Now compare that to any other team in the league, where it’s not only natural for teams to have the occasional down season, but in the modern NHL it’s almost obligatory, dare I say essential even. We’re sitting here complaining because we haven’t been Stanley Cup contenders for a couple years, after nearly 20 years of complete and utter dominance. I used to wonder why fans of other teams hate us. I don’t anymore, we’re spoiled. We really need not be, because here’s the thing, if you’ve been paying any attention at all, you know that this team will be tops in the league again in the not too distant future. So really the only reason I came here to post this long-winded introductory message was to say this: cheer up guys, we’re the most fortunate fanbase in the World.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Welcome aboard, I completely agree. I am old enough to remember what it was like to have no Wings in the playoffs, I was still young, but we are truly blessed as sports fans to have them, one need not look any farther than the Detroit Lions to remember perspective.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Agreed. I keep waiting for that moment when the expectations break for good and we can just treat the Wings like any other team. There are a lot of posters on here who would run this team a particular way just because they're the Detroit Red Wings and they need to do X and Y every year. Truth is, even the Wings couldn't do it forever.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I genuinely think this team is heading in a great direction with the young talent we have, and the talent that's on it's way.

We are all going to be witnessing "the next wave" over the next couple seasons, and I think it will be a lot of fun to see.

Darkest time here (in my HF life span) was last off season and the beginning of this season, but I think everyone's in a much better place now for the most part. Seems like the kids give us all a lot of hope, as they should.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Darkest time here (in my HF life span) was last off season and the beginning of this season, but I think everyone's in a much better place now for the most part. Seems like the kids give us all a lot of hope, as they should.
I never thought I'd say this, but I think Babcock has a lot to do with how upbeat we are right now. He's got a real enthusiasm for the kids and he isn't afraid to show it. What's even better is he seems to hold all the other kids in higher regard now (especially the way he's talking about the young defensemen). Babcock seems to believe that this team has a future now. That's such a huge step for him to take.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
For the past few seasons we have severely underachieved, given our level of talent.

My favorite way of putting that in perspective? Russia in the past two Olympics. :P

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Hello all. I’ll be honest, I’ve been lurking around this forum for a long time, and I must say I’ve never felt more compelled to contribute than I do now. First, let me start by saying the wealth of knowledge around here is amazing, particularly when it comes to prospects (big props to ChadS and anyone else who comes here to give us updates on them by the way.) I enjoy reading the opinions of some of the more knowledgeable members on this board and I definitely think I’ve learned a few things while doing so.

With that said, there are quite a few things that have kept me from posting all these years. I have no doubt everyone that comes here is a die-hard Wings fan. I just think a few, admittedly very vocal (and dour) individuals, have kind of lost their perspective. We are privileged not only to be fans of the greatest sport ever played, but also fans of arguably the single greatest franchise in all of sports history (or at least for the last 20 or so years.) It is for that reason that we can’t be blamed for losing a little perspective from time to time.

I started watching the Wings in 1995. I remember the first season, feeling the heartbreak of being swept by a New Jersey Devils team that was supposedly so inferior. I remember seeing Stevie lift the cup for the first time in 97, winning the next one for Vladdy; Bowman lacing up the skates and doing a farewell victory lap in 02 and Zetterberg completely manhandling Sid the Kid in 08, making the “Next One†look like some random schlub straight out of juniors. I’ve seen some of the greatest players of all time finish their careers wearing the Winged Wheel. These are all fond memories that I'll always remember and I consider myself very fortunate to have witnessed them. I mean, think about that for a second, that is nearly 19 years (for me) of good memories and very few not so good ones that this team has provided for all of us.

Now compare that to any other team in the league, where it’s not only natural for teams to have the occasional down season, but in the modern NHL it’s almost obligatory, dare I say essential even. We’re sitting here complaining because we haven’t been Stanley Cup contenders for a couple years, after nearly 20 years of complete and utter dominance. I used to wonder why fans of other teams hate us. I don’t anymore, we’re spoiled. We really need not be, because here’s the thing, if you’ve been paying any attention at all, you know that this team will be tops in the league again in the not too distant future. So really the only reason I came here to post this long-winded introductory message was to say this: cheer up guys, we’re the most fortunate fanbase in the World.

rjlD06s.gif

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
I genuinely think this team is heading in a great direction with the young talent we have, and the talent that's on it's way.

We are all going to be witnessing "the next wave" over the next couple seasons, and I think it will be a lot of fun to see.

I agree with all of this, especially the bolded. Like I said, I’ve been lurking for a while now lol. I remember coming on here regularly during the 2012 free agency, so I was present while this board collectively slipped into madness, dark days indeed. Though going back and reading through the Offseason thread, particularly when Sammy signed, is pretty hilarious. I don’t think I could have mustered the enthusiasm to post a rah-rah thread back then. I probably would have been berated out of here.

I cannot agree more about our future being bright. I see a team that’s being built the right way, even down at the AHL level.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I agree with all of this, especially the bolded. Like I said, I’ve been lurking for a while now lol. I remember coming on here regularly during the 2012 free agency, so I was present while this board collectively slipped into madness, dark days indeed. Though going back and reading through the Offseason thread, particularly when Sammy signed, is pretty hilarious. I don’t think I could have mustered the enthusiasm to post a rah-rah thread back then. I probably would have been berated out of here.

I cannot agree more about our future being bright. I see a team that’s being built the right way, even down at the AHL level.

I think it was a lot of frustration from a lot of passionate people, and I think the things we were mad about (I was included) were blatantly obvious bad decisions at the time they were being made. Quite simply it was frustrating, I'd even go as far as to say it was infuriating.

Don't want to harp on the past, but I think a lot of that was justified. Taken too far in the heat of the movement, but justified.

Anyways, like I said, and more importantly, we are at a good place now and have a lot of pieces that we can build this team around for years to come.

Picking up another potential top 6 center would give us just a ridiculous potential core to work off of.

Edit: I think the quality of posting on here lately has been really good. But I appreciate passionate people's opinions, and I don't think teams are necessarily beyond criticism just because of their storied success. Successful people/teams are ones that always look for ways to do things better, not rest on their laurels, and admire their own accolades.

That's my two cents.

Last edited:

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
There's a difference between "passionate opinions" and "being a dick," and there are quite a few here who are habitual "being a dick" line-steppers, which makes it tough to even want to attempt conversation.

The thing people need to learn about their opinions is this: They are not facts. If you present your opinion in a well-constructed, non-confrontational manner, you're much more likely to get taken seriously. Unfortunately, many here don't understand that, and use the anonymity of The Internet to be dicks to everyone else; things they would never say to someone's face, they're more than happy to spit here because there's no fear of retribution.

Call me a "Carebear" or whatever if you like, but I'm much more inclined to have a passionate, respectful debate rather than a ****-slinging contest. If you give respect, you get respect. It's really quite simple.

Tasteslikekevinbacon

Oct 26, 2013
Ontario, canada
I try to keep my posts light, and mostly humorous.

I'm a third generation wings fan, my grandfather was all about yzerman, my dad was all about shanahan, and I was all about Feds. We used to debate endlessly who was the best wing, and sometimes it got outright offensive and hfboards like, typically ending in me calling my dad a midget. But, I digress. Watching the winter classic, and seeing the legacy we could roll out for our alumni teams was a great reminder of how blessed and lucky we have been as fans to see some of the greatest players play for our team. And seeing Stevie Y wear a winged wheel reminded me that heart is more important than anything, and I know my grandfather was smiling down watching his hero lace em up again.

The future is bright, gentlemen!

Thank you posing, op!

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
@ Frk It: That is true, and I can definitely understand the frustration. I don't want to sound as if I believe this team is completely without fault. I was frustrated myself at seeing some of management's poor decision-making.

I will say this however, I do believe we are at a unique time as a franchise. I think we've spent so much time being so successful, that the decisions of management seemed... less impactful. We've always had a great core to build around with only minor moves necessary. Right now we're at a point where management has to make some substantial decisions, and so of course they're under the microscope.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
I think that while Holland and Co. have made some really terrible, obvious decisions in recent years (re-signing Cleary when he looked SO done, what Holland gave up in the most recent trades, etc.), you have to look at Detroit for what they're trying to do right now... Detroit is in the midst of rebuilding their roster while still making the playoffs every single year, rebuilding while staying competitive. How many teams in ANY professional league can say they've done this, let alone say they've done this to a roster that has been in the playoffs for over 20 years? I think that not only are we as a fanbase spoiled in regards to having a playoff team for so long, but also a fanbase that is spoiled in having a rebuilding team. If Detroit can make continue extending the playoff streak and also end up winning a cup in the next few years, I think Holland will be the one with the last laugh in all of this.

If Holland can't bring a cup back to Detroit, then maybe he is just as stupid as everyone on here seems to say he is every so often.

Welcome to the boards, man. Post a bunch, stay for years!

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
Exactly. We're at a point in time where we have our past achievements to point to and be proud of, but are ultimately gone. On the other hand, we also have our future to look forward to that's so bright but is going to take time to reach. Both are dissatisfying, and unfortunately, we're stuck in the middle. If you were to view the growth of this team as a rollercoaster, we're just in one of the valleys. All things considered, that valley could have been much much worse.

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi
This is a good thread that I feel like a lot of people needed, myself included. It's so easy to forget how lucky we are to be wings fans.

After all, we could be sabres fans. :sarcasm:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

I agree with all of this.

Within two or three years the team will be back at the top of the league; I have very little doubt about it. I'm more excited for this team's future than I have been in years.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

I always enjoy when I see a fan come here with a very realistic and optimistic point of view.

I like to disagree with management sometimes, but for the most part, I have also been trying to temper the "hate" that sometimes flows on these boards and mostly unreasonable expectations.

We are very spoiled as fans, because Detroit has been so good, it is hard to realize that most teams have years that are so bad, they make you not want to watch the sport anymore.

Chicago, Pittsburg, Buffalo, Colorado, Toronto. All these teams have been god awful at times.

I do not know if this can be avoided. As well as our scouting and management team is, its hard to not notice the lack of talent we have in our system. Oh sure we like our rookies and new players, but to suggest these guys are going to be better than the colorado young kids, or edmonton's young kids, or NYI young kids in 3-5 years. I am not sure.

But that is why we watch and cheer and hope. Nyquist could be our next zetterberg-like player.. or maybe Mantha. OR maybe the DRW will develop an entire team of GOOD talent with no superstar, and have a team like Boston, where its a solid team concept.

I do not know where we are headed, but I do know we have had good times. I thought Yzerman/Shanahan retirements were the end of our good times. Then we said "agra-codabra" and got Z and D. Well soon will be the next trick… Will we continue to be good without dropping down to the basement?

And even if we did fall. A team like ours might be able to rebuild faster than others. There are always positives. 4 Cups in last 20 years… Maybe a few more in the next 10. No one knows what will happen, and this is why we watch.

NyquistIsMyGod*

I enjoy this forum as well, and find this new era of the Red Wings frustrating, neat, fun, interesting, etc. I'm 19 (20 in 2 weeks). I don't follow many of the other 4 North American sports (Hockey/MMA only) so I'm in a situation I've never been in during my sports fan life. I've never seen my team miss the playoffs, never seen a rebuild, etc. It's really shocking.

Really was fun watching a lot of the kids up, and I've become a big fan of many of them. Detroit's a top five destination, so seeing some stars/former stars come in that you never thought is a blast to watch, positive outcome or not (Modano, Alfredsson, Joseph - Hossa, Hasek, etc).

This rebuild is not a typical rebuild, which is crazy. Hate the management all you want, but not many teams can pull up the next wave, this many, and still compete in the playoffs, and bring in top talent in free agency (Alfredsson and Weiss were). Downtime was finishing 6th-8th for a couple years, instead of a nearly 10 year rebuild (rebuilds take quite a long time). I expect this team to be back up there next year (top 5 in East), and within 2-3 years, fighting for the #1 spot again. System is that deep.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I moved to Detroit area in 1995 from Chicago. I was a life long Hawks fan going back to the days of Hull and Mikita. I even caddied for Mikita once in a tournament. I got season's tickets as part of my deal and started going to all the wings games. I fell in love with this team and the whole organization. They always seem to have an eye on the future and the fans are the best. This from a guy who spent many many nights at the old Chicago stadium. I think we are fortunate indeed in having had a passionate owner and great front office. I can bust on Kenny with the best of them but you cannot argue with the overall success and class of this team. I still go to a few Hawks games but onlywhen the Wings aren't playing. I'd rather pass up great Hawks tickets to watch the Wings on TV.

We have indeed been fortunate but a little CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is good and why I mostly love this forum

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
While I agree with the overall sentiment of this thread, I'm not going to turn off my brain when Holland, Babcock, or a player have a bad game/ make a bad move/ whatever.

A lot of the time it isn't worth posting about (bad line combo or turnover by a player, whatever)

But the last couple years have been pretty rough. There's no sugar coating it. Admitting it and wanting better doesn't make me a spoiled fan. I have no issue with being an average or below average team.

I just find it hard to stomach the fact that the team has gone from legitimate contender (back to back finals) to this in 5 years. Losing Lidstrom is the biggest thing, but there was no plan to replace him or Rafalski or Stuart. Trading for Quincey and swinging and missing on Suter were bad plans. No excuses, no apologizing for the management there. I think we can all agree we want more from Holland and the rest of the guys running this team.

And again, I have no issue with the team being middle of the pack or however you want to title it, I just feel like most other GMs would've done something to prevent such a sudden decline.

I agree also with the belief that the team will rebound in the not so distant future because of our prospect pool being so deep. I don't know if we will get back to Cup contenders because Datsyuk and Z are getting up there and I don't know if any of our current prospects will ever be that good, but we should have an overall deeper team soon, which can only make the team better. I am very excited about the team moving forward. Winning the cup every year isn't realistic and I think the board has to realize that, too. I just wish we could've "gone" for it a couple more times while we still had the bones of a great playoff team. I think that window has closed now, though, unless Holland does make a few bigger signings + trades as soon as this offseason. I just don't see us being as threatening without D&Z. Their careers are our cup chances IMO.

Soulhawk

Dec 12, 2013
hello all. I’ll be honest, i’ve been lurking around this forum for a long time, and i must say i’ve never felt more compelled to contribute than i do now. First, let me start by saying the wealth of knowledge around here is amazing, particularly when it comes to prospects (big props to chads and anyone else who comes here to give us updates on them by the way.) i enjoy reading the opinions of some of the more knowledgeable members on this board and i definitely think i’ve learned a few things while doing so.

With that said, there are quite a few things that have kept me from posting all these years. I have no doubt everyone that comes here is a die-hard wings fan. I just think a few, admittedly very vocal (and dour) individuals, have kind of lost their perspective. We are privileged not only to be fans of the greatest sport ever played, but also fans of arguably the single greatest franchise in all of sports history (or at least for the last 20 or so years.) it is for that reason that we can’t be blamed for losing a little perspective from time to time.

I started watching the wings in 1995. I remember the first season, feeling the heartbreak of being swept by a new jersey devils team that was supposedly so inferior. I remember seeing stevie lift the cup for the first time in 97, winning the next one for vladdy; bowman lacing up the skates and doing a farewell victory lap in 02 and zetterberg completely manhandling sid the kid in 08, making the “next one†look like some random schlub straight out of juniors. I’ve seen some of the greatest players of all time finish their careers wearing the winged wheel. These are all fond memories that i'll always remember and i consider myself very fortunate to have witnessed them. I mean, think about that for a second, that is nearly 19 years (for me) of good memories and very few not so good ones that this team has provided for all of us.

Now compare that to any other team in the league, where it’s not only natural for teams to have the occasional down season, but in the modern nhl it’s almost obligatory, dare i say essential even. We’re sitting here complaining because we haven’t been stanley cup contenders for a couple years, after nearly 20 years of complete and utter dominance. I used to wonder why fans of other teams hate us. I don’t anymore, we’re spoiled. We really need not be, because here’s the thing, if you’ve been paying any attention at all, you know that this team will be tops in the league again in the not too distant future. So really the only reason i came here to post this long-winded introductory message was to say this: Cheer up guys, we’re the most fortunate fanbase in the world.

hear hear.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
While I agree with the overall sentiment of this thread, I'm not going to turn off my brain when Holland, Babcock, or a player have a bad game/ make a bad move/ whatever.

A lot of the time it isn't worth posting about (bad line combo or turnover by a player, whatever)

But the last couple years have been pretty rough. There's no sugar coating it. Admitting it and wanting better doesn't make me a spoiled fan. I have no issue with being an average or below average team.

I just find it hard to stomach the fact that the team has gone from legitimate contender (back to back finals) to this in 5 years. Losing Lidstrom is the biggest thing, but there was no plan to replace him or Rafalski or Stuart. Trading for Quincey and swinging and missing on Suter were bad plans. No excuses, no apologizing for the management there. I think we can all agree we want more from Holland and the rest of the guys running this team.

And again, I have no issue with the team being middle of the pack or however you want to title it, I just feel like most other GMs would've done something to prevent such a sudden decline.

I agree also with the belief that the team will rebound in the not so distant future because of our prospect pool being so deep. I don't know if we will get back to Cup contenders because Datsyuk and Z are getting up there and I don't know if any of our current prospects will ever be that good, but we should have an overall deeper team soon, which can only make the team better. I am very excited about the team moving forward. Winning the cup every year isn't realistic and I think the board has to realize that, too. I just wish we could've "gone" for it a couple more times while we still had the bones of a great playoff team. I think that window has closed now, though, unless Holland does make a few bigger signings + trades as soon as this offseason. I just don't see us being as threatening without D&Z. Their careers are our cup chances IMO.

You're right, no one should have to turn off their brain. Nor is it necessary that we be content with being middle of the pack. Holland, Babcock and the players all need to be held accountable for their mistakes. Seeing a disgruntled fanbase is what motivates them to do better (unless they're Franzen.) That's why I loved seeing Holland sweat when the media was all over him for the Jarnkrok trade, as that was definitely the worst in an admittedly bad series of moves (and kind of scares me going forward too.) It's just the way some people go after Holland and Babcock on these boards, demanding they be replaced and what not, that's disconcerting. Some act as if they're making these decisions to sabotage the team or something. I assure you everything they do, however misguided, is in an attempt to better this team. The truth is, there are 20+ other franchises that would kill to have Holland and Babcock.

More to the point, I believe management has been operating according to a plan, and I believe some are willfully ignorant of that. The truth is, creating a team specifically through sound drafting and development has been the plan since probably before the cup win in 08 (Holland has been saying that since the early days of the cap.) Any fortunate happenstance (ie. landing Hossa, potentially landing Suter) or unfortunate Holland blunder (ie. Holland not resigning Hossa, trading for Quincey, the aforementioned farce) have been extraneous. Note I do not include not getting Suter as one of Holland's mistakes because the guy just wasn't coming here, he was going home no matter what. I mean really, you know how lucky we would be had we landed him? Statistically, cosmically, whatever man, that'd just be some crazy good luck. The plan to replace someone who is pretty much irreplaceable was always to build a solid d core, not taking a chance Suter (or some other UFA) lands in our laps or some insane GM is willing to part with a current/future franchise defenseman.

Finally, the one place where I do mildly disagree is on the future of this team. D & Z are both amazing talents, and I do believe they'll still be effective for a while yet. This team we're bringing up behind them though, I don't see them being any middle of the pack bubble team. They may not have anyone as good as D or Z, but they're going to have a solid team from top to bottom with a strong team concept, much like Boston, St. Louis etc. A team of guys that have pretty much grown together since the AHL level and probably, eventually with a head coach who graduates with them. A team with a very good goaltender, solid defense from top to bottom, and a good mix of size, speed and skill up front. Add in the fact that they'll still have Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Kronwall to guide them, and this is a team with a very bright future.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Finally, the one place where I do mildly disagree is on the future of this team. D & Z are both amazing talents, and I do believe they'll still be effective for a while yet. This team we're bringing up behind them though, I don't see them being any middle of the pack bubble team. They may not have anyone as good as D or Z, but they're going to have a solid team from top to bottom with a strong team concept, much like Boston, St. Louis etc. A team of guys that have pretty much grown together since the AHL level and probably, eventually with a head coach who graduates with them. A team with a very good goaltender, solid defense from top to bottom, and a good mix of size, speed and skill up front. Add in the fact that they'll still have Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Kronwall to guide them, and this is a team with a very bright future.

I just don't see a player with the peak of a Rask, Chara, Bergeron, Pietrangelo, etc. in our upcoming group. If everything goes right for Mantha we might have something those teams don't, but I tend to value a player in the mold of Bergeron/ Z/ Datsyuk more than a productive winger. You don't typically win on the strength of just a star winger, though I obviously want Mantha to be one :laugh:.

But yeah, just having a deep and reliable blue line is enough to be optimistic about in and of itself. Makes life easier for the forwards and the goalies.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
I just don't see a player with the peak of a Rask, Chara, Bergeron, Pietrangelo, etc. in our upcoming group. If everything goes right for Mantha we might have something those teams don't, but I tend to value a player in the mold of Bergeron/ Z/ Datsyuk more than a productive winger. You don't typically win on the strength of just a star winger, though I obviously want Mantha to be one :laugh:.

But yeah, just having a deep and reliable blue line is enough to be optimistic about in and of itself. Makes life easier for the forwards and the goalies.

You make a good point in regards to not having a guy equal to Bergeron, Petro etc. with one exception, Mrazek. I can definitely see Mrazek as an eventual top 5-10 goalie in the league and that is where I'd put Rask right now. Our one gaping weakness in our prospect pool is without doubt that #1C, but Center depth is the one area on the current Wings lineup that is good for 3-4 years (assuming Weiss gets back to form, etc.) In the meantime we make a concerted effort to draft one/package a few of our prospects to get one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad