News Article: Red Wings allow Datsyuk to play in KHL All-Star game

Status
Not open for further replies.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I was just watching the NHL's press conference and a reporter questioned if there were any contractual conflicts or such for players who decide to play in the KHL All Star game.

Bettman just shook it off and stated that they'd deal with that situation if it happens.

I can only assume that the NHL wouldn't look into it(if there's anything there) given that Detroit has ok'd it?

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I was just watching the NHL's press conference and a reporter questioned if there were any contractual conflicts or such for players who decide to play in the KHL All Star game.

Bettman just shook it off and stated that they'd deal with that situation if it happens.

I can only assume that the NHL wouldn't look into it(if there's anything there) given that Detroit has ok'd it?

It might be a team by team choice.

Datysuk probably said it was important to him, and the Red Wings probably said that if it means that much to him, he can do it.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

This should be the key. He's Detroit's player and they allowed him to stay a few days. In the eyes of the league, I don't see how this would be any different from allowing your player to attend a child birth or similar.

On the contrary if the team calls a player to camp, and he refuses to report in time, it might be something for the league to deal with KHL.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This case is just much ado about nothing. If there's no real CBA confirmed yet, why not play?

All-Star game mentality does not hurt anybody.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
This case is just much ado about nothing. If there's no CBA before the game, why not play?

All-Star game mentality does not hurt anybody.

CBA is likely settled and done before the ASG on Sunday.

But agree, from a Wings POV this is nothing.

redwings85

In Ozzie I trust.
Nov 11, 2008
America's Hat.
Good for the Wings organization. It's not like datsyuk hasn't been staying in top shape... Atleast he's playing and should be set for the return of the NHL.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Nothing wrong with keeping as much goodwill as possible when it comes to Datsyuk. The Wings are going to be desperate to re-sign him when his deal is up after next season and hope he doesn't head back to the KHL, so it makes sense to accommodate him by letting him play in the KHL All Star game this year. Can't hurt to build up as much credit as possible with the guy as the time approaches to try to retain him.

Datsyukian Dekes

May 4, 2010
Nothing wrong with keeping as much goodwill as possible when it comes to Datsyuk. The Wings are going to be desperate to re-sign him when his deal is up after next season and hope he doesn't head back to the KHL, so it makes sense to accommodate him by letting him play in the KHL All Star game this year. Can't hurt to build up as much credit as possible with the guy as the time approaches to try to retain him.
Exactly!

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Ditto, great take by Brick Top...the Wings are doing this for him but to also continue to show the rest of the league how much respect they have for their players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad