Salary Cap: Red Wings 2024-25 - next season cap discussion

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
This is completely false. We need to move some contracts to challenge for a playoff spot next year. Not saying Copp needs to go, and it is very unlikely that he does, but a few needs to go.

Husso, although not sure who we can pick up. Stolarz?
Holl
Maatta

Husso can be bought out.
Holl can be traded with retaing and/or picks
Maatta should be traded
Maybe even Walman.

Gonna have to use 2-3 rookies next year, and just hope they will be ready.

Oh sorry I thought the cap was higher I think I got confused when I saw how much LTIR space some teams had. Still not worried through, these contracts are going to dry up by the time the window opens up.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Just for reference this is what we are looking at if we were to buyout Copp, Holl, Petry, or Husso. I don't think we would buy them all out but wanted to post this for reference.

Petry: 800k this year, cost 370k next. Probably not worth a buyout as the cap hit to replace him would be more.
Copp: Save 4.43 (next), 3.93 (25/26), 2.55 (26/27) and dead cap 1.819 (27/28-29/30). Probably not a great buyout option. This would be very much Abdelkader 2.0.
Holl: Saving 2.267 mil per year over next 2 years, full dead cap of 1.133 mil for 2 seasons. Possibly worth it with the amount of ELC dman we have coming up. We'd still get over 1 mil cap savings if we replace his spot.
Husso: Saves 3.167 next year costs 1.583 deap cap the following. Definitely worth it if we can upgrade the goalie situation. Lyon is so cheap next year and if you plan for Cossa to come up as backup the following year we are still looking at around 1 mil for a 2nd goalie.

1713532734754.png

So I'd strongly consider buying out Husso and Holl as we could possibly upgrade both positions and still save cap. Petry is fine as a 6th/7th dman for one more season, the buyout isn't really worth it. If we want someone to ride the pine he is a good candidate. Copp buyout would be messy. I'd rather do a 2 or 2.5 mil retention in a trade or wait another year or two to buyout. We don't have much in the way of contracts needing raises after 25/26 so I'd rather wait until its needed.

Maata and Fabbri should be be tradeable. They might require a bit of retention but that is where I'd focus on freeing up money instead of Copp.

minimal

Apr 12, 2024
Listened to Jeff mark's podcast titled yzerplan and he said what I always believed to be the case ... he thinks higher ups told yzerman to speed up the rebuild which is why he signed the vets last 2 seasons (could have done better than holl or copp lol) and that yzerman cant be judged until we see the result of all the prospects we have

Some other guy said were lacking that star prospect cause we've had no lottery luck and they're pretty much not confident we cant take the next step ... Meh

Anyways it's worth a listen if anyone wants to check it out
I've learned to disregard anything Marek says about the Wings. Not much insight into the org whatsoever, and he's routinely someone that speculates openly in the media for the sake of speculation. I think it's pretty clear it's not a matter of speeding up the rebuild, it's a matter of turning the corner on being competitive. This team isn't in the controlled nosedive part of the rebuild anymore.

I know he struggles to stay healthy but man... Robby Fabbri is underrated by this fan base.
I've actually got a lot of time for Fabbri. He brought energy into the bottom six for this last run of games and I remember him being one of the few players on the team throwing hard board checks--something this team desperately needs more of.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Just for reference this is what we are looking at if we were to buyout Copp, Holl, Petry, or Husso. I don't think we would buy them all out but wanted to post this for reference.

Petry: 800k this year, cost 370k next. Probably not worth a buyout as the cap hit to replace him would be more.
Copp: Save 4.43 (next), 3.93 (25/26), 2.55 (26/27) and dead cap 1.819 (27/28-29/30). Probably not a great buyout option. This would be very much Abdelkader 2.0.
Holl: Saving 2.267 mil per year over next 2 years, full dead cap of 1.133 mil for 2 seasons. Possibly worth it with the amount of ELC dman we have coming up. We'd still get over 1 mil cap savings if we replace his spot.
Husso: Saves 3.167 next year costs 1.583 deap cap the following. Definitely worth it if we can upgrade the goalie situation. Lyon is so cheap next year and if you plan for Cossa to come up as backup the following year we are still looking at around 1 mil for a 2nd goalie.

View attachment 855108

So I'd strongly consider buying out Husso and Holl as we could possibly upgrade both positions and still save cap. Petry is fine as a 6th/7th dman for one more season, the buyout isn't really worth it. If we want someone to ride the pine he is a good candidate. Copp buyout would be messy. I'd rather do a 2 or 2.5 mil retention in a trade or wait another year or two to buyout. We don't have much in the way of contracts needing raises after 25/26 so I'd rather wait until its needed.

Maata and Fabbri should be be tradeable. They might require a bit of retention but that is where I'd focus on freeing up money instead of Copp.

No to buying anyone out. Holl is fine and they're not bringing up three or four young D all at once. They'd trade Holl for cheap over buying him out.

Husso... no, unless you're telling me you've got a contract already worked out with a guy like Markstrom who is a marked upgrade. Like, I need to see the upgrade in the fold before I say, yep, let's buy him out.

Cop and Petry? f*** no. No need to buy them out. I abhor having dead money on our cap when we don't have a direct replacement in mind. And no, I don't mean "oh, we'll call up Kasper for Copp." You don't have to buyout Copp to replace him with Kasper... that is, unless the player is so bad as to be completely unplayable (Abby, Nielsen, Weiss)

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
UFAs:
Perron $4.75
Kane $2.75
Sprong $2.0
Fischer $1.12
Ghost $4.12
Reimer $1.5

RFAs:
Raymond
Seider
Veleno

Cap:

FINAL CAP HIT
Tooltip
: $80,686,316

FINAL CAP SPACE
Tooltip
: $2,813,684

LTIR USED
Tooltip
: $0

From there we all we all have our own list of needs, which may be similar but the priority and availability of players is where the discussion becomes interesting.

Seider and Luc will eat up a big number of the cap, and that will drive the Wings ability to sign/resign players.

My take:

Spring, Ghost and Kane are gone. That dough goes to Luc and/or Mo.
Perron is signed (at the same base.)
Reimer is offered a modest increase and returns.
Fischer is offered a modest increase and leaves.

Veleno - I wouldn't be surprised if he is offered in a package or just let go.... BUT with no centers worth a darn, he may get $1M for a year.

NET: Stays the same
D: Add Simon and one other from GR. Given Johansson is out of options, him.
Wingers: Said every year, but I think Yzerman will look for a heavy body,who will actually use it. Bergy is on the roster or gone.
WILD CARD: Kasper comes up as a winger.
Centers: Must sign a #2 center. Whatever has to be cone cap wise, will be done.
WILD CARD: Danielson makes the opening day roster as the #3 center.

WILD CARDS: Yes, I am calling them as my shots. BOTH will occur. Kasper may not be up opening night, but by 1-1-25.

Last edited:

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
As far as trying to read the tea leaves goes that was pretty much standard Stevie Y. Except for maybe the joke about how if he tells Lalonde to do one thing he'd probably do the opposite.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Jake debrusk would be a great fit. Brings that size and grit ability into the top 6. Would love a 2nd line of debrusk-Compher-Kane

WingFanSD

Jul 19, 2011
UFAs:
Perron $4.75
Kane $2.75
Sprong $2.0
Fischer $1.12
Ghost $4.12
Reimer $1.5

RFAs:
Raymond
Seider
Veleno

Cap:

FINAL CAP HIT
Tooltip
: $80,686,316

FINAL CAP SPACE
Tooltip
: $2,813,684

LTIR USED
Tooltip
: $0

From there we all we all have our own list of needs, which may be similar but the priority and availability of players is where the discussion becomes interesting.

Seider and Luc will eat up a big number of the cap, and that will drive the Wings ability to sign/resign players.

My take:

Spring, Ghost and Kane are gone. That dough goes to Luc and/or Mo.
Perron is signed (at the same base.)
Reimer is offered a modest increase and returns.
Fischer is offered a modest increase and leaves.

Veleno - I wouldn't be surprised if he is offered in a package or just let go.... BUT with no centers worth a darn, he may get $1M for a year.

NET: Stays the same
D: Add Simon and one other from GR. Given Johansson is out of options, him.
Wingers: Said every year, but I think Yzerman will look for a heavy body,who will actually use it. Bergy is on the roster or gone.
WILD CARD: Kasper comes up as a winger.
Centers: Must sign a #2 center. Whatever has to be cone cap wise, will be done.
WILD CARD: Danielson makes the opening day roster as the #3 center.

WILD CARDS: Yes, I am calling them as my shots. BOTH will occur. Kasper may not be up opening night, but by 1-1-25.
per cap freindly wings will have 29m in cap space before anyone is signed/resigned for next season. that with a cap of 87.7m. take 16m or so of that to resign ray and mo. i hope kane and perron are gone. the cap space you listed is what they have right now for this season.
1713628047979.png
1713628012220.png

Reactions: heyfolks

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Let's say Kane's contract issue is that he wants a four year contract that lasts until he's ~40, based on comments he has made.

Kane might be able to get by on one year deals and get more money, but he says he wants "stability".

Some team will likely offer him 3.5-4 for four years. Do/should the Wings match that?

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Let's say Kane's contract issue is that he wants a four year contract that lasts until he's ~40, based on comments he has made.

Kane might be able to get by on one year deals and get more money, but he says he wants "stability".

Some team will likely offer him 3.5-4 for four years. Do/should the Wings match that?
At that low cap hit I do it, year 3 or 4 you probably just pop him on LTIR anyways. Circumvent that cap like everyone else.

Mr Nimbus

May 27, 2022
London
As long as they don't go all Frans Nielsen on me...I'm good. I would not be upset if Holl, Copp, Petry and Husso weren't there next year. Just horrible acquisitions. If they are still there next year...
giphy.gif

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Deal

maata,fabbri, copp and holl with retention. Throw a mid pick to move petry

By looking at the numbers vegas looks like they might have to shed salary,target karlsson.

Sign local kids joshua and roy as well as nosek. Resign fischer and gost. Assuming kane is leaving

Debrincat larkin raymond
Joshua Karlsson compher
Soderblom kasper berggren
Rasmussen veleno fischer
Nosek

Walman seider
Gostisbehere Roy
Edvinsson chiarot
Johansson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad