Post-Game Talk: Red Hot Devils in Ottawa, Thursday 7:30 pm on TSN

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If Anderson makes that easy save and Hoff scores on the next sequence nobody talks about Boucher or Ceci

It was an easy save for a NHL goalie

As were couples NJ goals before that...

We put a lot of pressure on our goalie with the way we play hockey.

Sure, you can try and limit the dangerous chances but we can still leak a lot of shots on net.

Against Pittsburgh, it was a pretty innocuous shot that sunk us (with a lucky deflection) but we weren't doing any shooting of our own in those two OT periods so it was only a matter of time.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
First game of the year we had pageau on the 4th line and Brown was third line centre. Hasn't seen as much ice time since.

Will also be interesting who we call up for Smith. Either we go with a young d or forward.Boucher says Smith will be out at least a week.

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
This game shouldn't have gone into OT anyways. Stone really blew two goals

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Not targeting you but it just seems we can't ever bring critics on the Senators and decisions around here anymore or we're labeled as negative people. We had a 2 goal lead in the 3rd I mean what do people expect? I don't expect the Senators to win every game and dominate each one but when I think they or their coach makes a stupid decision I'll call it for sure. We had the last change and they didn't even send out their first unit on 3 on 3 and we reply with Pageau Pyatt and Ceci. Put some weapons out there ffs it's 3 on 3.

Andy was just terrible and fighting pucks all night
Stone and Hoff were bad, especially Stone on the D side of things

One thing that concerns me is the few zone time we have, I find we struggle to establish pressure in the opposing team's zone and they have a lot of easy exits, sometimes we get stuck in our zone for some good stretches. We dump it, and don't chase, or we lack creativity. I'd bring up Nick Paul and send Logan Brown down, doesn't do him any good to warm the bench and go chase the puck with Thompson for 35 seconds IMO.
The problem I have is that the Sens always get criticize no matter what they do, they will have bad games, those guys are not robots they will have bad games just like we have bad days at our job, New Jersey are a fast team and they forced our guys to commit turnovers and tomorrow versus the Leafs will be the same way, right now Toronto is better than us so my expectation is that it will be a difficult game. We have to look against who we are playing also. The only thing i want from the players is that they compete and do the best they can after that the chips will fall where they may.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ceci is this team’s shut down defenceman, for better or worse. It’s how he’s been deployed since Boucher has been here and I’d wager it’s how he’ll continue to be deployed moving forward.
It's one thing using him as that over regulation but. 5 minutes. First one to score wins. You don't want to get scored on. And you look to Cody ceci as your best hope? When the best d man of a generation is sitting there?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Don't always agree with McGuire but I agree with his take on Boucher's treatment of young players. If you dress them play them. Don't break their spirit. I like his suggestion that the team management/coaching has to get on the same page about bringing young players along and not make them be frozen in fear of making a mistake.
It's really a no brainer. Play the young guys you have. Or just.... dress players.. that you actually wouldn't mind giving playing time.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Coaching didn't result in Stone making a terrible play behind our net resulting in the puck heading right into the slot, or making a questionable decision to go for a big hit at our blueline with nobody to pick up his man. Coaching wasn't the reason Andy looked shaky all night. Coaching isn't the reason that Turris was forcing passes that didn't exist. Coaching didn't cost us the game, execution did.

Did Boucher make all the right calls? No, but no coach does. But even with any of the poor decisions he may have made, that game still should have resulted in a win.
That stone play wasn't that bad. It was a simple reverse that d men do like probably 50 times every game. It took a bounce.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
That stone play wasn't that bad. It was a simple reverse that d men do like probably 50 times every game. It took a bounce.

Except that he was pretty far from the boards to do that kind of reverse and there was a crowd of players there already. It was a risky play that backfired.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
If Anderson makes that easy save and Hoff scores on the next sequence nobody talks about Boucher or Ceci

It was an easy save for a NHL goalie

As were couples NJ goals before that...

I agree, while he didn't have a lot of help, there's a couple of goals where Anderson just looked lost.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It's one thing using him as that over regulation but. 5 minutes. First one to score wins. You don't want to get scored on. And you look to Cody ceci as your best hope? When the best d man of a generation is sitting there?

The fact that he was already on the ice and Boucher went as far as actually pulling him out amplified it even further. Karl looked as stunned as anyone.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
There's really no way for Boucher or anyone to justify that decision. It was terrible. You're in a situation where you have as much open ice as you'll ever have, and you decide to sit the best offensive, skating defensemen of this generation? Brutal.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It reminded me of tight playoff beer league games with a minute left and the guy that can't stand up on his skates saunters out for his line change expecting to take out your best player and half the team looking at each other like wtf is happening, but nobody says a thing.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm not concerned about points right now.

I'm concerned about some minor details that could cost points down the road.

The point about goals early in the OT is true, but it's all about putting out the best players for the right situation. I'm not sure why you start with Pageau and Pyatt and not put out Karl - just doesn't make sense regardless of if you're trying to score right away or not.

Sure, we're getting points and that's great, but there's still some things this team needs to do to improve. As the season goes on you improve, just like we did last year. People are just pointing out some of what that is. We are a better team than what we saw Tuesday and Thursday. More should be expected. But it doesn't mean there's need for doom and gloom.

Beat the Leafs and everyone will sleep well.

If I remember correctly I believe that Karlsson was out on the last shift before the end of the third period & was too tired to start the overtime, which is why he wasn't out there to start the overtime. I would have thought that three of the best defensive players on the team would have been able to to prevent a goal in the first minute of overtime though but unfortunately that didn't work out. But yea, I would have started with Turris, Hoffman & Karlsson followed by Brassard, Stone & Ceci followed by Ryan, Dzingel & Wideman if given the opportunity & gone for the win, but what do I know.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If I remember correctly I believe that Karlsson was out on the last shift before the end of the third period & was too tired to start the overtime, which is why he wasn't out there to start the overtime. I would have thought that three of the best defensive players on the team would have been able to to prevent a goal in the first minute of overtime though but unfortunately that didn't work out. But yea, I would have started with Turris, Hoffman & Karlsson followed by Brassard, Stone & Ceci followed by Ryan, Dzingel & Wideman if given the opportunity & gone for the win, but what do I know.

He may have finished the 3rd but Karl was lining up for the draw to start OT and was pulled off by Ceci. He looked confused as he made his way to the bench.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Having both Smith and Dzingel with Turris is a little too much imo. One of those guys fine, but both of them with Turris just makes it more of a 3rd line. Smith is out at least a week so hopefully Hoff gets moved up there.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills sometimes. Hoffman is imo our best forward offensively, full stop no argument in my eyes and yet he's primarily playing with Pageau and Pyatt this year and last, can we not get more out of our most gifted forward by putting him with players that are also good offensively?

I would like to see Pageau center Smith and Hoffman or Smith and Ryan/Stone. Could make a good third line.

Pyatt is very good defensively and on the PK, but he is not a good third Line player.

Burrows - Thompson - Pyatt might be an effective 4th Line with PK duty for those three.

The team really needs a top 6 winger to replace MacArthur.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I would like to see Pageau center Smith and Hoffman or Smith and Ryan/Stone. Could make a good third line.

Pyatt is very good defensively and on the PK, but he is not a good third Line player.

Burrows - Thompson - Pyatt might be an effective 4th Line with PK duty for those three.

The team really needs a top 6 winger to replace MacArthur.

Ya I wouldn't mind Smith/Pags/Hoff but it still puts Hoffman with 2 guys that aren't that great offensively and would still be labeled the 3rd line. Maybe I'm alone on this but imo Hoffman is our best forward and should be playing 19-20 minutes a night with our other best offensive players. I want to see him get an extended shot with Ryan now that he's more of a creator than a shooter.

I'd like to see something like this tried out once White is healthy and that White/Burrows is pretty much the loss of Macarthur, so I agree, we're missing him big time just like last year.

Ryan-Brass-Hoff
White/Burrows-Turris-Stone
Smith-Pageau-Dzingel
White/Burrows-Thompson-Pyatt

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The thing that hurt int he 3vs3, was a lack of an elite skater out there. I can see having a shutdown or even 2 shutdown guys out there....but you absolutely need a speedy guy out there with so much ice. Having 3 average skaters out there, even if they are good defensively, just won't work.

Reactions: Gesus

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Did anyone realize that maybe Bouche was sending a message? Listen guys, we've blown the lead tonight, played bad in our own end (top line even), so I'm going to play my most defensive guys because you guys aren't playing "the system." I thought the same way everyone else did last night, being at the game myself, but upon reflection this morning...
Genius. We should have won that game in regulation. The King even said so himself. Bouche didn't want us to necessarily loose, but he sure did want the team to get the message.
Received, loud n clear chief.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Ceci is fine for OT. He's fast and he's had a decent start to the season.

Anderson got beat pretty easily. Ceci wasn't screening him and didn't give much room for a great shot. It happens and Stone with two weak plays (including the one Borowiecki impression) leading to 2 goals was the much bigger issue. I don't know if NJ players got in his head or what but that was pretty embarrassing for Stone.

Still a lot of games to go.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Did anyone realize that maybe Bouche was sending a message? Listen guys, we've blown the lead tonight, played bad in our own end (top line even), so I'm going to play my most defensive guys because you guys aren't playing "the system." I thought the same way everyone else did last night, being at the game myself, but upon reflection this morning...
Genius. We should have won that game in regulation. The King even said so himself. Bouche didn't want us to necessarily loose, but he sure did want the team to get the message.
Not really. Boucher's admitted to playing for the shootout in the past because it "gives us a better chance".

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Message sending cost us a point. I'm pretty sure he won't be doing that again

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

So he'd rather send a message than win the game? That's pretty stupid.

Reactions: Boud and DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad