Music: Red Hot Chili Peppers: Unlimited Love Discussion (April 1st, 2022)

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

Teaser was released yesterday.

I figured I'd start this thread. I am still a big fan and not afraid to admit it.

The reason I listen to any cool indie current artist, Glenn Branca, Stevie Wonder, Modest Mouse, Fela Kuti, Public Image Limited, etc....it all starts/is because of RCHP.

I also try to be fair; Anthony Keidis is not everyone's cup of team (sometimes he can create "Storm in a Teacup" which some fans will get that joke). There are technical reasons, there are personal reasons. That is fine.

They are not the BSSM or Californication or even BTW era RHCP anymore. As a band they are always at their best when they let the musicians do cool things and expand songs. That is fine.

They have focused too much on "songwriting" as opposed to their strengths the last 15-16 years.

There has been too much negativity and revisionist history the last decade. They are just as important to the alternative movement and the 90s as all the other big players.

All their songs do not sound the same or are about California. It's a lazy argument.

I hope people come to this thread to genuinely talk about them and the new material.

So what is known? Rick Rubin produced which is not a good thing. He hasn't put out a memorable album since the mid 2000s. Stadium Arcadium had some great stuff, but the album feeling too bloated and a lot of the production and arrangement issues I put on Rubin.

I'm not expecting a masterpiece or even something as diverse as By The Way was. I'm hoping to have 4-5 really awesome tracks where the musicians shine that I can add to my workout mix and be happy to hear when I'm out in public.

I'm hoping that the creativity and influence of Frusciante returning can outweigh contemporary Rick Rubin producing.

I still get like a kid with things like this. It's from my childhood, it's fun, and something to be genuinely excited about.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I'm also looking forward to this too.

When Frusciante left the bad (the second time), I realized I lost out on my chance to see him play live and I should have made more effort to go see him even if it meant travelling to another city for the concert instead of waiting for them to come to me. When they announced he was back, I knew I couldn't let that opportunity pass again so now I have tickets to see them in Seattle in August. I just hope there aren't any border restrictions keeping me from going.

Reactions: Voight

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom

E6fnYdFWYAIVVMO.jpg

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I honestly don't like the single. It doesn't add anything to their catalogue and sounds like a B-Side or diet version of Stadium Arcadium.

Very predictable and Rick Rubin production which in 2022 is not a good thing.

That's ok. 16 more songs aka chances.

Almost the opposite of last year when I loved the Hiatus Kaiyote Get Sun single and their album Mood Valiant was fairly underwhelming. I'm hoping this is the opposite (don't like the singe but an awesome album).

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Bruh the autotune is so bad, they've been doing it since californication
Anthony can't sing and is a raging douche. But It's such a great lineup that you just put up with Anthony in all honesty, this track makes it more evident than ever.

Idgaf about them without John. Like John might just be the best electric guitar player since Hendrix, and I mean that in the sense of pushing the electric aspects to great heights. And Flea and Chad are a goated rhythm section

I would love to hear that track without vocals, John is also a wayyy better singer but i'ma just stop rambling

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I honestly don't like the single. It doesn't add anything to their catalogue and sounds like a B-Side or diet version of Stadium Arcadium.

I'll admit this first single hasn't caught on for me yet either. That said, neither did Rain Dance Maggie nor Dark Necessities prior to their respective album's release but they did eventually. If this song will, John's solos will be a big reason why.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Anthony can't sing and is a raging douche. But It's such a great lineup that you just put up with Anthony in all honesty, this track makes it more evident than ever.

Idgaf about them without John. Like John might just be the best electric guitar player since Hendrix, and I mean that in the sense of pushing the electric aspects to great heights. And Flea and Chad are a goated rhythm section

I would love to hear that track without vocals, John is also a wayyy better singer but i'ma just stop rambling

I agree that the vocals are the worst thing about the track, when I first listened I was very skeptical because he sounds so different to their older songs. But I got really into it when I listened to the guitar and if not for the solos it would just be a meh song and I wouldn't have come back to listen to it more than once.

I also agree about John. For example his solos are what "makes" the song Scar Tissue for me. Also some of my favourite segments of all their songs are his background vocals in Otherside and Can't Stop

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Don't like the song that much, but their singles are often not among the better pieces of their respective Albums...

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
They've mostly been putting out fluff since after OHM
I got into them not long after Mothers' Milk came out when I heard it at a friends place back then and generally like a number of the albums after that but ya...lot interest

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I got into them not long after Mothers' Milk came out when I heard it at a friends place back then and generally like a number of the albums after that but ya...lot interest
Same with me and maybe it's just due to age..... Get off my earphones lol

Reactions: beowulf

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
They've mostly been putting out fluff since after OHM

It's one of the misconceptions about the band. If you mean singles, you can make that argument. But they've done some experimental and different stuff on every album since then.

I always will go right back to Dreams of a Samurai, the last proper album song with Klinghoffer. It's weird, cool, different. In an odd time signature.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
It's one of the misconceptions about the band. If you mean singles, you can make that argument. But they've done some experimental and different stuff on every album since then.

I always will go right back to Dreams of a Samurai, the last proper album song with Klinghoffer. It's weird, cool, different. In an odd time signature.
There's always the odd gem but as a whole, the Chili's have been pumping pop tunes for a while. Nothing wrong with that just pretty bland.

Reactions: Voight

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

To your point, the entire One Hot Minute album was experimental and a big departure from what they were known for.

Also, Dark Necessities is the best Who song of the last 30 years

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
There's always the odd gem but as a whole, the Chili's have been pumping pop tunes for a while. Nothing wrong with that just pretty bland.

I don't think that's fair to them. I'm not going to sit here and defend everything they do because I have my own opinions and ideas for how they should make an album, but they'll never listen to me.

If you look at all their albums and split them into "bland pop" vs. "rock songs" vs. "odd gem" the percentages are quite even.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
To your point, the entire One Hot Minute album was experimental and a big departure from what they were known for.

Also, Dark Necessities is the best Who song of the last 30 years

Haha that's funny about The Who reference. Some said Rain Dance Maggie was a Stones song.

OHM actually has a lot in common with the two Beinhorn albums they made (Uplift and Mother's Milk) because all three had elements of hard rock and metal.

I still say Shallow Be Thy Game is either their most or second most underrated song (Dreams of A Samurai being the other) and I love the arrangement for One Big Mob, even the baby crying part.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

I was under the impression that Kiedis was more of a shouter and it was the studio techs doing most of the work fixing his shit on the vocals...but then I saw RHCP live and he actually sounded really good. Maybe just one of those performers whose energy is felt better when you're there.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
Sad part about that single is all the pieces are there for them to sound like 20 years ago except... Anthony Keidis is clearly washed/autotuned. The guy has probably partied his ass off for 45 years and it took its toll.

The distance from RHCP first album to now is the same as The Rolling Stones in 1999. It is what it is. They have already been confirmed legends for a long time.

Last edited:

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Sad part about that single is all the pieces are there for them to sound like 20 years ago except... Anthony Keidis is clearly washed/autotuned. The guy has probably partied his ass off for 45 years and it took its toll.

The distance from RHCP first album to now is the same as The Rolling Stones in 1999. It is what it is. They have already been confirmed legends for a long time.

I'm a little bit confused on this one. When you are talking about their first album, are you talking about "The Red Hot Chilli Peppers" album that came out in 1984? Cuz imo their stuff was offensively bad back then. And Kiedis was a straight up junkie back then, all the way until after Hillel's death in 88. Their first 3-4 albums were pretty pretty mediocre (imo), until they hit a grand slam with BSSM.

Kiedis partied like a lunatic until Hillel's death, but cleaned up afterwards. Looking at the shape he is in his video, I would bet that he actually has lived a pretty healthy lifestyle since then. With his vocal style, at 59, he's probably not going to sound as good as he did in his prime, but he sounds fine to me now. It's not like he sounded like Cobain or something back in the day.

Reactions: SniperHF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad