Red Fisher Conference Semi Finals - Ottawa Senators (2) vs Pittsburgh AC (3)

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Then there's also the matter of fit and chemistry. I feel Panarin's style will fit very nicely with Roenick and Amonte. So while his own career is short and he should be punished for it, the unit works.

And I don't agree with people saying Panarin won't work under a coach like Hap Day. Panarin's +/- numbers are always among the best on his teams. Is he considered worthless defensively just because he's a skilled soft russian? Sounds like it. I really wish we had a Columbus or NYR fan in here.

@Hawkey Town 18 how good was Panarin defensively in Chicago? Was he just a soft worthless bum? Shades of Pierre Turgeon? I would expect him to be less good defensively in Chicago than he was in Columbus and NYR tho, from lack of experience.

I never used the word worthless to be fair and make sure anyone reading this knows I didn't.

I've not used any absolute terms with anyone. It was a central theme in my opening round match up when folks were using the term "zero offense" to describe my checking line.

Panarin isn't worthless defensively. He's just nothing special. He's not bad. He's not good. Same with Kovy on the 1st unit. I think you have 2 wingers, IMO, that are over their heads for the roles they're playing. Could Panarin be a depth scorer on a 3rd or 4th line? Sure. Playing 2nd line minutes in the ATD, going up against the likes of Westfall at times, Russell, Wilson. Running into Art Coulter on the RD? Fred Lake? I don't think Panarin has done enough to handle those kind of minutes against battle tested players, a few of whom are very, very strong defensively.

I don't see it.

As RB said a few years from now? Most likely. But the ATD isn't about projecting beyond where we are right now.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
I expected to see both of these teams get to this point. [Can't say I feel that way about ALL the match-ups!] Congratulations to both.
BIG advantage in net. As I said before, if you think this is a close series, how can a top 10 goalie all time not give Pittsburgh a decided advantage over one who would struggle to get into the top 25-30, especially factoring in postseason performance?
Two points:
1) DID YOU KNOW? Henrik Lundqvist's Playoff Save Percentage is better than his Regular Season Save Percentage.

2) Is the top Goaltender post-Brodeur NOT in the top 2-dozen All-Time? The Aggy List (our most recent collation on the matter) slots him in at Number 20. If that's an over-valuation, I believe it's only a slight one. I think that the most superior Goalie post-Brodeur isn't anything less than an average #1 in a 40-team draft. [Either that, or we just conclude that the entire post-Brodeur crop of Netminders are pants. I'm much more concerned about the under-rating of Lundqvist/Luongo than the over-rating of them.]
Panarin has been among the top of his position almost his entire career so far (AST voting) and managed a very strong shortened season this year.
Yes- and another thing- it's not exactly like Panarin had no Professional Hockey credentials prior to his first game in the NHL...

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I expected to see both of these teams get to this point. [Can't say I feel that way about ALL the match-ups!] Congratulations to both.Two points:
1) DID YOU KNOW? Henrik Lundqvist's Playoff Save Percentage is better than his Regular Season Save Percentage.

2) Is the top Goaltender post-Brodeur NOT in the top 2-dozen All-Time? The Aggy List (our most recent collation on the matter) slots him in at Number 20. If that's an over-valuation, I believe it's only a slight one. I think that the most superior Goalie post-Brodeur isn't anything less than an average #1 in a 40-team draft. [Either that, or we just conclude that the entire post-Brodeur crop of Netminders are pants. I'm much more concerned about the under-rating of Lundqvist/Luongo than the over-rating of them.]Yes- and another thing- it's not exactly like Panarin had no Professional Hockey credentials prior to his first game in the NHL...

Thanks CHP. Truly appreciate the insight.

I do think the ATD has largely become a plastering of numbers without the things I'm doing which is actually diving very deep into analysis. Should I be punished for using my free time to work hard on Pitt's roster while others do something different with their own time? Being completely honest, I do feel ganged up on at times if you look back at the threads, not just including this year. Not a single person has entered a series I've had this year and given a single thought that compliments or highlights my squad that I can recall. And this is the first series where the other GM really hasn't been active, which again, I don't blame. I've spoken to BB numerous times publicly and privately. He's a busy man and this pandemic insanity affects everyone differently.

Let me ask you a question sir. How many other players have their intellectual integrity questioned? How many others get tagged as not giving their 2nd team a full commitment? That was you, btw. There are GM's who aren't even voting/discussing and I'm getting, I think, sarcastically needled. I think, again, as a way to get me to "blow my top" as it were. There is part of me that thinks it's a coordinated effort. Why wouldn't it be when it's multiple people, over different periods of time? Is it for the amusement of reaction? Is it to get somebody with a solid team out?

And despite this, I don't take any of it personally. I'm in a far better place in life now. I hope people seeing me being honest about how I feel don't take anything personally either. I've got zero issue with a single GM here. Do I think the standard has been reduced over the years? Yes. But that's not on any single person, at all. It's a group issue. It's an issue of time and life.

Would I like to "win"? Sure. Who wouldn't as a competitive person? Do I think Pitt's squad is good enough to do that? Sure. I'm a very competitive person at heart and I don't think that's hard to discern. In the past though I lost sight of what is important and that's having fun building a team and discussing the merits of teams and players. There are plenty of people who show up, year in and year out, play and vote and do it all over again the following season. That's important, especially now more than ever. Sure, I may be long winded and spend way too much time on a fantasy draft but I do really enjoy it.

Nothing is personal. Do I occasionally stretch to the outer boundaries for a player on my team? Absolutely. But if we're being honest, most people do this. Part of being in a comp. Dreak has Redden on a top pairing. Is he stretching for Redden? Sure. I don't blame him at all for doing so. I've tried really hard to be fair and not over/under extend myself or the opposing team. I've been VERY careful not to use absolute terms or degrade anyone, player or coach.

Gong back to VsX, look at the old threads, dating back over the years. You can specifically see what I'm talking about once VsX entered the fray. It's not an accident. The VsX in particular is a wonderful barometer but it has bastardized the spirit of the draft IMO. This isn't the first year I've brought this up either. Analysis has become lazy and if you look at the vote count as the years have gone by, the participation has dwindled, to the tune of rounds that can't even muster more than 10 votes. It it was it is. Just the natural progression of something that we've all been doing year after year for more than a decade. People are older, they don't have the same drive, they don't have the same time, etc. For various reasons. I don't blame people for not showing up. I wish it were different but it isn't. We're almost surely never going back to the days when these threads would go 10 pages deep and 20+ people would vote routinely.

How often (I've looked, trust me) do you see ATD playoffs, literally just "well LW VsX vs LW VsX = this so my/your guy is better". "My C VsX is 9 points higher but ES VsX is 3 points inferior." To me, it's asinine. Thinking a F line is superior, largely based on a statistical approximation is a glaring problem to me. It's happening this year, again. And there are series where stacking VsX isn't even going to kill me anyway. But yet it's the first thing many people go to to evaluate "superiority".

Does anyone truly think Kovalev should be on a 1st line the ATD? With 40 teams even? Panarin on a 2nd line? What accomplishments of Panarin count for anything more than a passing glance than his NHL numbers, again, which are very limited? We used to press the caution button on active players, especially those with such little to their name in the grand scheme. What happened?

People are literally saying they hate Blair Russell on a 2nd line. OK, it's an opinion. No worries. Russell is a guy who's reunited with his career teammate. A guy (again I have plenty of material) who was, IMO, the best defensive F in the game until Tommy Phillips blossomed in the middle portion of the first decade. A guy who, yes, by the VsX/Vs1/2 etc standard isn't a good offensive player but a guy nevertheless who made the HOF with some other greats of those early eras, largely because of his defensive brilliance.

Is Blair Russell going to blow the doors off anyone offensively? No. Is he void of offense? No. Is he also FAR better defensively and away from the puck, a key aspect to my team, than either Panarin or Kovy? Absolutely. I've long argued defense is undervalued and that is solidified w/ the emergence of VsX and it's central use in determining value. I'll be posting the findings on Russell's defensive impact certainly. He fills a role for Pittsburgh. His primary role is to be a defensive stopper when the 2nd line goes power on power. His passing ability is of high quality and there is a connection to Bowie that shouldn't be denied IMO. He's a nice complimentary winger to a stud 2nd line C IMO. His credentials, be it his defensive rep or HOF inclusions, to me, dwarf a guy with 391 games to his name in the current NHL. 2-3 years from now the conversation is probably different. But we don't project out in the ATD.

Back to Lundqvist. Trying to argue that the goalie gap here is anything but large seems borderline ridiculous to me. BB wouldn't even do it.

You're talking about a guy who's never won a Cup. Has had numerous meltdowns in both the regular and postseasons (I watched them live). I don't think many sensible people rate this guy in the top 25 all time and if they do, it's barely. He's never once led the league SV%. Never once led in GAA, despite playing on strong NY teams that played, generally defensive first hockey. He has a losing record in the playoffs. Yes, he's been a SOLID playoff goalie, but where are the "raise the bar" performances? Has he ever willed a team to the top? Lundqvist has literally been voted as the best G in the world once. One time, in an era where the top end G comp has been extremely weak. Extremely, in an all time light.

vs

Vezina who most people consider top 10. A G who would have won a slew of best at position awards had they existed. A player who routinely dominated the competition, which btw was as good or better than anything Lundqvist has faced, another key point being glossed over. Vezina, and I have a slew of them, was absolutely dominant in crunch time. The amount of times that man faced far more shots that the comp is staggering. The amount of times he was cited as being the reason Montreal won are many, across his entire career, to include SCF's. Vezina has a few playoff series where he'd almost surely have won a Smythe had it existed. TDMM in partciular rates him 9th. I'm inclined to agree with him after clipping out dozens of newspaper bits from the duration of his career.

Vezina is the best G pre WWII. All Time. That's a half century of hockey.

Lundqvist has literally been voted best G in the world once.

As I said from the outset, I think if anyone has hesitation on this series, Vezina is a strong reason to push Pittsburgh across the finish line in a deep series. And Beliveau leading the way of course.

And now I must get the voting reminders out! :)

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
How often (I've looked, trust me) do you see ATD playoffs, literally just "well LW VsX vs LW VsX = this so my/your guy is better". "My C VsX is 9 points higher but ES VsX is 3 points inferior." To me, it's asinine. Thinking a F line is superior, largely based on a statistical approximation is a glaring problem to me. It's happening this year, again. And there are series where stacking VsX isn't even going to kill me anyway. But yet it's the first thing many people go to to evaluate "superiority".

I think ES vs.X is the best way to measure a line's scoring ability at even strength. If one line has a more scoring talent, and the parts all fit together well, I don't think it's a big leap to say they are better offensively. That doesn't mean the line is better, but it does mean they are better offensively.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Thanks for your response. Me? I got Vézina at 11, Lundqvist at oh, idk- around 20 or 21- depending upon how I feel about Lehman that particular day. I think there's unanimity in the acknowledgement that Vézina confers an edge. How much of an edge? For those who still have Lundqvist south of Vachon/Giacomin/Hainsworth, big edge, I guess. For those who have Lundqvist just a little off the pace of Holeček and Bower, not quite as much.

This series is coming down to who benefits most in a long series. If it goes to Game 7, Pittsburgh is going to have to win on-the-road. Béliveau-led teams have won Game 7s on-the-road. They've also lost Game 7s on-the-road. [Equal number, I believe.] In full fairness and deference, we should consider that Pittsburgh figures to be the fresher team. Last Round, Ottawa went to Game 7 O/T to prevail. The AC got their 2nd Round job done in 6- should be slightly more rested.

I haven't made up my mind- even as I type this. Several possible Playoff Heroes in this series.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario

If I could “like” this multiple times, I would.

I’m sure many people, myself included, are going to lose interest in the annual ATD if it simply becomes “my overall VsX is greater than yours” to decide superiority and playoff series outcomes.

Like I said before, we may as well just skip the playoffs altogether, and immediately crown an ATD champion based on which team has the most impressive fancy stat totals. Because I’m afraid that this is where things are headed, and people will start drafting exclusively using “next man up” on the VsX charts to build their teams. What’s the fun in an ATD if we don’t build specific team identities and look for proper fits regarding line mates, and immediately just look at fancy stat totals, pick the highest available and say “damn, that’s a good offensive vsx number, I can use that in a playoff debate.” Because again, I feel that we’re heading in that direction. Fancy stats are starting to trump all. May as well call the ATD the VsX competition.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I think ES vs.X is the best way to measure a line's scoring ability at even strength. If one line has a more scoring talent, and the parts all fit together well, I don't think it's a big leap to say they are better offensively. That doesn't mean the line is better, but it does mean they are better offensively.

I don't disagree entirely.

I simply think we're all to fixated on shiny numbers rather than the overall picture. It's not a personal thing at all. I don't have anything against you as someone who uses the metric more than others. Please note that. I just think offensive value has taken over the conversation when hockey is played in 3 zones. I think somebody who looks to a coach like Ken Hitchcock (pretty sure you mentioned him as a favorite of yours) would value this POV.

How many series actually look at who a F lines is facing vs just who their F counterparts are? I can cite numerous that never touch on this.

Pittsburgh is going to get critiqued (and has) because the 2nd line has an average and below average scoring wingers. I've not tried to paint either Harris or Russell in any other light. Again, a fact I hope people have noticed.

Has anyone given credence to the fact that those wingers, in turn, are also very, very, strong defensively and fit the C like a glove? Are they so horrible offensively (i don't think so when you actually look at the league and who's on 2nd lines) that the line wouldn't score?

Also, say the opposing 2nd line has 20 more points based on ES or overall VsX. And the fit is good. I have no problem saying that line would be better offensively.

Conversely, say the same line doesn't have remotely close the level of defensive acumen? Are folks just going to look at the offensive approximation because we're dealing with a scoring line rather than bottom 6?
So yeah, my wingers from the 2nd line on down are probably going to be below (well below in some cases) other teams offensively. In the same breath, they're also going to be somewhat, all the way to massively better in the defensive and off the puck aspects of the game. Which was by design. Again, drafting Beliveau, Keith, Vezina, 1, 2, 3, means you're going to sacrifice something. I sacrifieced offensive abilty on the wings but countered by getting players who are extremely good defensively, checking, skating, clutch, etc.

Many winning rosters have had role players who were dominant defensive players in scoring line roles. Real life or otherwise. If Bowie wasn't such a strong offensive player I would have drafted more offensive inclined wingers. Personally, and please chime in if you feel otherwise, but Bowie is one of the best 2nd liners in the draft, be it in an overall sense or offensively is he not?. He came in at 112 in the top 100 project:

C's he's ranked above?

Gilmour
Maltsev
Francis
Datsyuk
Perreault
Delvecchio
Oates
Leamaire
Toews
McGee

# of Lists he was on

Bowie = 13

Gilmour = 17
Maltsev = 15
Francis = 14
Datsyuk = 13
Perreault = 12
Delvechhio = 12
Oates = 8
Lemaire = 5
Toews = 6
McGee = 5
Hawerchuk = 3

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Thanks for your response. Me? I got Vézina at 11, Lundqvist at oh, idk- around 20 or 21- depending upon how I feel about Lehman that particular day. I think there's unanimity in the acknowledgement that Vézina confers an edge. How much of an edge? For those who still have Lundqvist south of Vachon/Giacomin/Hainsworth, big edge, I guess. For those who have Lundqvist just a little off the pace of Holeček and Bower, not quite as much.

This series is coming down to who benefits most in a long series. If it goes to Game 7, Pittsburgh is going to have to win on-the-road. Béliveau-led teams have won Game 7s on-the-road. They've also lost Game 7s on-the-road. [Equal number, I believe.] In full fairness and deference, we should consider that Pittsburgh figures to be the fresher team. Last Round, Ottawa went to Game 7 O/T to prevail. The AC got their 2nd Round job done in 6- should be slightly more rested.

I haven't made up my mind- even as I type this. Several possible Playoff Heroes in this series.

Fair enough sir. Again, greatly appreciate your contributions.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

I’m sure many people, myself included, are going to lose interest in the annual ATD if it simply becomes “my overall VsX is greater than yours” to decide superiority and playoff series outcomes.

Like I said before, we may as well just skip the playoffs altogether, and immediately crown an ATD champion based on which team has the most impressive fancy stat totals. Because I’m afraid that this is where things are headed, and people will start drafting exclusively using “next man up” on the VsX charts to build their teams. What’s the fun in an ATD if we don’t build specific team identities and look for proper fits regarding line mates, and immediately just look at fancy stat totals, pick the highest available and say “damn, that’s a good offensive vsx number, I can use that in a playoff debate.” Because again, I feel that we’re heading in that direction. Fancy stats are starting to trump all. May as well call the ATD the VsX competition.

I don't have a problem with VsX being used to compare lines. I don't think you do either. Hell, I don't think anyone does.

My issues simply revolve around I think the post draft process, because of time and energy more than anything, is watered down from what it used to be and things like VsX are used to liberally in evaluations.

To be frank, I do question why I write such long winded posts haha. It's just how I'm wired and something I've struggle with forever, being concise and consolidating points. I had a GM accidentally send his votes from the last round to me, early. It was an accident on his part but a few other GM's saw this as it came back on one of the threads I had sent out about voting opening up.

How many people actually read what gets posted? 3, 5, 10 people? It is what it is. The glory days of deep postseason dives are over. Again, nature of doing something over and over and over while getting older and further along in life haha.

At the end of the day though, I'm focusing on the research and discussion aspect. I can't make anyone vote for me and fully realize that some may disagree with my assessments and will conclude Pitt is beatable here. I wish I had taken this to heart more than being concerned with winning a fantasy draft. I'll certainly still argue my points strenuously and strive to win but if I don't? Oh well. This should be fun at the end of the day. If we're not having fun at all, why do it?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I can agree with the use of VsX to help determine the value of a players offense, but it should never be the sole factor to determine the outcomes of playoff series, as that essentially eliminates the point of building teams for the ATD. When it starts to be overused, the concern is that the ATD becomes nothing more than an exercise in comparing VsX scores. What would be the fun in that?

Call Van and I old school, but when building Baltimore..we didn’t talk fancy stats at all. We had a specific team identity in mind, and we went about executing that identity to the best of our abilities with what was available to us. That was the team we wanted to build, and we didn’t need to pour over vsx charts to do so. We had a blast just building the team that we wanted to build and one we thought could be successful. And we’re proud of that team even if the fancy stat guys talk it down. And we’ll be even more proud if we can make it past Bolshoy.

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I simply think we're all to fixated on shiny numbers rather than the overall picture. It's not a personal thing at all. I don't have anything against you as someone who uses the metric more than others. Please note that. I just think offensive value has taken over the conversation when hockey is played in 3 zones. I think somebody who looks to a coach like Ken Hitchcock (pretty sure you mentioned him as a favorite of yours) would value this POV.

How many series actually look at who a F lines is facing vs just who their F counterparts are? I can cite numerous that never touch on this.

Yes, I'm a big fan of Ken Hitchcock.

I think its up to GMs to argue their own case. I'm pretty sure I have brought up my top-6s defensive proficiency in every series so far.

Pittsburgh is going to get critiqued (and has) because the 2nd line has an average and below average scoring wingers. I've not tried to paint either Harris or Russell in any other light. Again, a fact I hope people have noticed.

Has anyone given credence to the fact that those wingers, in turn, are also very, very, strong defensively and fit the C like a glove? Are they so horrible offensively (i don't think so when you actually look at the league and who's on 2nd lines) that the line wouldn't score?

I think people are struggling with how to evaluate the defensive play of all early era players. At once time, there were only a few guys who had significant evidence of defensive play. As a result, those guys were considered elite, because that kind of praise was so rare. With so many new guys getting the same praise, they are being compared to those other elite guys and held up as equals. For me, though, every guy who we find new info on takes away from the top guys, since that info is no longer as rare.

As for the fit, I don't really think it's as perfect as you do. It's not bad, but I would want a serious power forward riding shotgun. If a team decides to target Bowie - both because he's tiny and because he's the only offensive threat - I'm not sure there's an answer.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

You need to make an argument as to why your gut feeling is more convincing than the numbers. The same people that read the stats will read your arguments.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

Yes, I'm a big fan of Ken Hitchcock.

I think its up to GMs to argue their own case. I'm pretty sure I have brought up my top-6s defensive proficiency in every series so far.

I think people are struggling with how to evaluate the defensive play of all early era players. At once time, there were only a few guys who had significant evidence of defensive play. As a result, those guys were considered elite, because that kind of praise was so rare. With so many new guys getting the same praise, they are being compared to those other elite guys and held up as equals. For me, though, every guy who we find new info on takes away from the top guys, since that info is no longer as rare.

As for the fit, I don't really think it's as perfect as you do. It's not bad, but I would want a serious power forward riding shotgun. If a team decides to target Bowie - both because he's tiny and because he's the only offensive threat - I'm not sure there's an answer.

To be fair, and this is something maybe you or another GM can chime in on is how many early era guys have significant sources cited as I've found with some of my bios?

For instance Smokey Harris? If you compare what I have on him to every other player in the PCHA or that time period for that matter, how many other players have as much material cited on their defensive, physical and general all around abilities. 3? 5? 10?

Why is Harris not considered a power forward? He's one of the bigger players of the entire era? He was incredibly physical, he was a solid offensive player who is a strong playmaking wing, which again, would fit Bowie well here. What is Harris missing when you read that bio I worked up? Does he need to be a top shelf scorer with Bowie there? I don't think so. What does that line lack? Goal scoring and high end offensive player? Check. Playmaking? Check. Defense? Check. Skating, physicality, chemistry, etc. I mean if I'm off base, I'd like to know. Even if it doesn't change how you're going to view the match up or who you vote for, I'd at least respect the fact that people are specifically telling me where they disagree, which you did in that instance. I just don't understand how Harris doesn't check a lot of the boxes of a power forward since you used that term. I'd rather not clog up threads with pictures of clippings to drive home my points. I'm putting my faith in people actually reading the hard work I've done.

I understand people's opinions are going to vary of course, but when I hear "it's nod bad" I get the feeling that you and others think It's basically average. And if that's the case I'd like to understand your line of thinking. Or anyone's for that matter. This only helps further discussion. If you bottle up your reservations than I have no way to give my take. In a competive sense, I don't blame you. Why would you want a person you're competing with to be able to respond in a sensible manner?

Part of the benefit (as far as the competitive angle) of finding such information is it should move the needle in favor the person who's taking the time to bring the information to light. If I can describe what I'm thinking and then have a ton of source material to back it up, what else can be done?

One of the things that drives me nuts is how often players (especially O6) get these reputations based on literally 2, 3, 4, 5 sources. Be it Legends of Hockey. Newspapers clippings. Whatever. I know for a fact TDMM has echoed this sentiment among others. Having a few blurbs that say you were great doesn't make you great in an all time sense.

If all Ed Westfall had done was shut down Bobby Hull once in the playoffs would he be drafted where he is? Would he hold the same rep he does now? No, of course not. But there is a BIG difference, IMO, between being considered one of the best all time (and for pro hockey that's well north of a century) and someone who was in the conversation for a short time or even a decade.

But you have guys that have a couple of token AS votes in a 6 team league that get held up like they're on the same level as a HOF or someone that has the same token AS votes but a lot more information to judge them on. Anyone can see these instances if you take a few minutes to look back at past ATD's. Again, I'm not blaming anyone. But it's a trend that absolutely has happened over the years if you read through old threads.

I'm attempting to be incredibly thorough with these early era guys. I literally reconstructed Westwick's entire career so people would have a better idea of what he was as a player. I'm not settling for a few blurbs as sufficient evidence to make a case. I guess I just hope people value that kind of commitment and in a close series take that into consideration. Now if you think team A is a clear notch above team B, then it probably doesn't matter.

We know far more about Pete Green, Smokey Harris, Harry Westwick, Hamby Shore and Fred Lake when we ever knew a few months ago. Is part of doing that research to help my chances here? Sure. I think everyone digs harder when competition is involved. That's only natural. If I had more time I'd already have another 3-4 bio's completed haha.

Honestly, the most exciting aspect to this entire thing is that I'm about ready to present my findings on Green to the NHL and HOF. Regardless of what happens there I think it important to bring those kinds of discoveries to the forefront. I don't think anyone else is going to do it besides a handful of us!

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The bottom line for this series as I see it, is that if Ottawa is to win, it will be based on their Big Three on defense.

It's Sprague Cleghorn, Guy Lapointe and Jimmy Thomson vs. Duncan Keith, Art Coulter and Hamby Shore.

To me this is a huge advantage for Ottawa that will apply for virtually the entire 60 minutes. Is it enough to push them to victory? People will decide.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
To be fair, and this is something maybe you or another GM can chime in on is how many early era guys have significant sources cited as I've found with some of my bios?

For instance Smokey Harris? If you compare what I have on him to every other player in the PCHA or that time period for that matter, how many other players have as much material cited on their defensive, physical and general all around abilities. 3? 5? 10?

Off the top of my head, we got Nighbor, Walker, Smith, Lepine, Hay, Northcott, Phillips, and Boucher from that time period. Guys like Morenz, Joliat, Frederickson, Foyston, Ward, and Cyclone have some stuff too.

Where does Harris fall on that list? That's what I'm trying to figure out. He's better than all the guys in the second bunch, I'm pretty sure. Is he better than Hay or Smith, maybe....

Why is Harris not considered a power forward? He's one of the bigger players of the entire era? He was incredibly physical, he was a solid offensive player who is a strong playmaking wing, which again, would fit Bowie well here. What is Harris missing when you read that bio I worked up? Does he need to be a top shelf scorer with Bowie there? I don't think so. What does that line lack? Goal scoring and high end offensive player? Check. Playmaking? Check. Defense? Check. Skating, physicality, chemistry, etc. I mean if I'm off base, I'd like to know. Even if it doesn't change how you're going to view the match up or who you vote for, I'd at least respect the fact that people are specifically telling me where they disagree, which you did in that instance. I just don't understand how Harris doesn't check a lot of the boxes of a power forward since you used that term. I'd rather not clog up threads with pictures of clippings to drive home my points. I'm putting my faith in people actually reading the hard work I've done.

Again, it's not about just finding quotes. I try to place the whole era in context. Was Harris one of the most physical guys of that era? There's a whole lot of guys who have those attributes, but where they rank among their peers is how I evaluate them.

I understand people's opinions are going to vary of course, but when I hear "it's nod bad" I get the feeling that you and others think It's basically average. And if that's the case I'd like to understand your line of thinking. Or anyone's for that matter. This only helps further discussion. If you bottle up your reservations than I have no way to give my take. In a competive sense, I don't blame you. Why would you want a person you're competing with to be able to respond in a sensible manner?

Yeah, I wish people would engage more too. That's not what some want to do.

One of the things that drives me nuts is how often players (especially O6) get these reputations based on literally 2, 3, 4, 5 sources. Be it Legends of Hockey. Newspapers clippings. Whatever. I know for a fact TDMM has echoed this sentiment among others. Having a few blurbs that say you were great doesn't make you great in an all time sense.

It's not just the number either. Context matters.

A quote that says "Player X was a great back-checker tonight", is not nearly as valuable as a one that says "Player X, who is the league' best back-checker, had a great game"

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I can agree with the use of VsX to help determine the value of a players offense, but it should never be the sole factor to determine the outcomes of playoff series, as that essentially eliminates the point of building teams for the ATD. When it starts to be overused, the concern is that the ATD becomes nothing more than an exercise in comparing VsX scores. What would be the fun in that?

Do you think that's actually the case?

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Off the top of my head, we got Nighbor, Walker, Smith, Lepine, Hay, Northcott, Phillips, and Boucher from that time period. Guys like Morenz, Joliat, Frederickson, Foyston, Ward, and Cyclone have some stuff too.

Where does Harris fall on that list? That's what I'm trying to figure out. He's better than all the guys in the second bunch, I'm pretty sure. Is he better than Hay or Smith, maybe....

Again, it's not about just finding quotes. I try to place the whole era in context. Was Harris one of the most physical guys of that era? There's a whole lot of guys who have those attributes, but where they rank among their peers is how I evaluate them.

Yeah, I wish people would engage more too. That's not what some want to do.

It's not just the number either. Context matters.

A quote that says "Player X was a great back-checker tonight", is not nearly as valuable as a one that says "Player X, who is the league' best back-checker, had a great game"

Thanks for clarifying. Appreciate you insights and thought sir!

How far below Harris is Foyston at this point? Honestly. See below.

Foyston was better offensively, but by how much? Harris led the PCHA in scoring. Foyston didn't. Harris led the PCHA in assists. Twice.

Yet here is the go to quote from LOH in his bio:

An exceptional scorer and playmaker, Frank C. Foyston was capable of dominating a game from center, rover or either of the wing positions. He was a supreme natural talent who earned accolades and fame wherever he played. While playing in the top leagues on the continent, Foyston was one of the first players to score over 200 career goals.

Now if somebody doesn't read my bio on Harris and then reads that, would they consider Foyston a better playmaker than the guy who literally led the same league twice in assists? Foyston never finished above 5th. I actually am chuckling because this is exactly what I'm talking about. If Foyston, a man who's assist record is terrible compared to Harris is considered by the average ATD'er an exceptional playmaker, then what is Harris?

And me chucking is NOT directed at you Dreak. You're as active as anyone and go deeper in discussions than most.

• Harris was clearly one of the best defensive forwards in the entire league, by 1913. I don't think anyone disputes that at this point if you read the bio. He was still regarded as such in 1922/23. Foyston was never cited as being anything special going the other way as far as I know. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Harris beat out Foyston for AS honors on at least one occasion and like Foyston was an AS at multiple positions.

Harris:
  • League Leader in Assists 2x (1919-20 and 1923-24)
  • League Leader in Points (1920-21)
  • League Leader in Penalty Minutes (1913-1914)
  • Stanley Cup Playoff Points Leader (1915-1916)
  • Stanley Cup Playoff Assists Leader (1915-1916)
  • PCHA Playoff Goals Leader (1920-21)
  • PCHA Playoff Points Leader (1920-21)
  • 4 x PCHA League Champion (1916, 1921, 1922, 1923)
  • PCHA First All-Team (1912*, 1913, 1916, 1917**, 1919, 1920, 1921***)

*Only 1 AS team in 1912. Harris was reserve player
**Unanimous choice at RW (Played for Portland)
***Utility position

Foyston:

1x PCHL "Champion, All-Round Player" (1917)
6x P.C.H.A. First Team All-Star (1917, 1918, 1920, 1921, 1923, 1924)
2x P.C.H.A. Second Team All-Star (1919, 1922)

NHA Points – 11th(1915)
NHA Assists – 3rd(1915)

PCHA Points – 2nd(1920), 3rd(1917), 3rd(1921), 4th(1919), 4th(1922), 4th(1923), 4th(1924), 10th(1918)
PCHA Goals – 1st(1920), 1st(1921), 2nd(1922), 3rd(1917), 4th(1919), 4th(1924), 5th(1923), 10th(1918)
PHCA Assists – 5th(1922), 6th(1924), 7th(1917), 7th(1923), 9th(1921)

Play-off Points – 1st(1914), 1st(1920), 2nd(1917), 2nd(1919), 5th(1925)
Play-off Goals – 1st(1914), 1st(1920), 2nd(1917), 2nd(1919), 5th(1925)
3 x Stanley Cup Champion (1914, 1917, 1925)

Foyston is better, no doubt. Has the MVP and slightly better AS record but that record of Harris', coupled with the fact he was clearly one of the best defensive F's over almost the entire length of the PCHA's existence, having fantastic longevity, like Foyston, and how big of a gap is there now? I guess what I'm asking is has the needle moved at all on Harris. Does the research we do impact how people view a player or not as it pertains to the competitive aspect of the exercise?

While Harris was certainly a good playoff guy, Foyston is arguably the best player of the era after Nighbor. So that IMO is probably the biggest gap looking at them side by side.

Foyston's in the HOF. That counts for something absolutely. But in the same breath people question Blair Russell, a HOFer, on a 2nd line with Bowie, but seem to indicate they would lean to Panarin, a dude with 391 NHL games to his name on a 2nd line for Ottawa? Panarin will have his time in the ATD. If he was on a 3rd or 4th line I wouldn't bat much of an eye. But him going up against a Westfall, Russell or Cully Wilson?

Guess I see that as a pretty one sided affair. That's all.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Do you think that's actually the case?

Not necessarily right now, but I’m concerned we’re headed in that direction. I just want to avoid situations where VsX trumps all. I don’t want to see the ATD turn into a competition over who can draft the highest VsX number. That’s all.

I mean, are we already not seeing it be brought up way too often when discussing teams? “My top 6 has a vsx score 15 points higher than yours. We will without a doubt score more.” I mean, if we use those stats as a definitive marker to decide the offensive effectiveness of one team over another, what’s the point in discussing anything else? In that case, shouldn’t we just crown winners based on that stat? That’s where my concern lies. That it’s turning into nothing but a vsx competition.

It can be useful tool, obviously. But there should be a line or a limit as to how much stock we put into those numbers. I get it, those are the numbers, but I don’t think anyone wants to see the ATD turn into an exercise where that’s the sole deciding factor to determine playoff outcomes. We can all agree with that, yeah?

Again, call me old school, but I personally take much more into account when deciding where my votes will go other than just looking at vsx scores. I hope others do the same.

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
The bottom line for this series as I see it, is that if Ottawa is to win, it will be based on their Big Three on defense.

It's Sprague Cleghorn, Guy Lapointe and Jimmy Thomson vs. Duncan Keith, Art Coulter and Hamby Shore.

To me this is a huge advantage for Ottawa that will apply for virtually the entire 60 minutes. Is it enough to push them to victory? People will decide.

And Pittsburgh's counter is our F group is just as huge an advantage and we have the benefit of Vezina in goal. A player who's routinely cited for his coolness under pressure and ability to dominate in playoff environments. Something Lundqvist has never done. To me, that is the series.

And again, some are still glossing over the superiority of Pittsburgh's F overall but also defensively. The gap in terms of defensive acumen among F's is massively in favor of Pittsburgh here. Defense doesn't just start at the blue line.

The best playoff players in this series are on Pittsburgh.

Beliveau, Keith, Vezina, vs Messier, Lapointe?, Lundy

Then it just tilts further the deeper you go down the rosters.

In a tight series, IMO, Pittsburgh is built to win games. Was a key competent of the roster.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Not necessarily right now, but I’m concerned we’re headed in that direction. I just want to avoid situations where VsX trumps all. I don’t want to see the ATD turn into a competition over who can draft the highest VsX number. That’s all.

I mean, are we already not seeing it be brought up way too often when discussing teams? “My top 6 has a vsx score 15 points higher than yours. We will without a doubt score more.” I mean, if we use those stats as a definitive marker to decide the offensive effectiveness of one team over another, what’s the point in discussing anything else? In that case, shouldn’t we just crown winners based on that stat? That’s where my concern lies. That it’s turning into nothing but a vsx competition.

It can be useful tool, obviously. But there should be a line or a limit as to how much stock we put into those numbers. I get it, those are the numbers, but I don’t think anyone wants to see the ATD turn into an exercise where that’s the sole deciding factor to determine playoff outcomes. We can all agree with that, yeah?

Again, call me old school, but I personally take much more into account when deciding where my votes will go other than just looking at vsx scores. I hope others do the same.

Again, I think you’re arguing against an imagined scenario. I don’t think anyone just looks at the vs.x numbers and cast their vote for the highest one. I use them to tell me who is better offensively, then look at other factors, combine everything together, and see if one team looks better.

Some guys are just so bad offensively that it’s hard to bring enough else to the table to make themselves valuable.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Again, I think you’re arguing against an imagined scenario. I don’t think anyone just looks at the vs.x numbers and cast their vote for the highest one. I use them to tell me who is better offensively, then look at other factors, combine everything together, and see if one team looks better.

Some guys are just so bad offensively that it’s hard to bring enough else to the table to make themselves valuable.

Are you talking about top 6 or across the entire roster? Just trying to clarify.

Lots of players in hockey history are very valuable that don't bring much offense to the table.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Here are a handful of the overviews I have of Bowie/Russell and their abilities and what people thought of them in the hockey world.

upload_2020-5-31_22-52-4.png

upload_2020-5-31_22-54-2.png

upload_2020-5-31_22-55-39.png

upload_2020-5-31_22-58-30.png

upload_2020-5-31_22-59-19.png

upload_2020-5-31_23-5-56.png

upload_2020-5-31_23-14-11.png

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Both.

We can disagree on where the line is, but at some point, you need to be able to move the puck up ice.

Moving the puck up the ice and scoring are two separate things though to be fair. Defensemen can move the puck as well as forwards.

Pitt's 1st and 2nd lines shouldn't have much issue w/ either. Pittsburgh's 3rd line is designed to defend and create chances on turnovers/fore check specifically (as well as the PK for those keeping score). As I said before, I'd love to hear the arguments on how a scoring line is going to play up to their averages when faced with seeing Gainey-Jarvis-Westfall constantly. That is literally 2 of the 3 greatest defensive wingers of all time and C who's certainly in the great category while being legendary in the dot. None of those guys are penalty risks either. An elite defensive line that doesn't spend time in the box is as important as anything a team can throw at you offensively IMO.

Would anyone say I'm being overzealous in calling that an elite shutdown line? I'm honestly curious.

I've got zero issue with that group clogging up the neutral zone and making teams dump. Get Gainey and Westfall on the forecheck w/Jarvis over the top forcing Dmen into dumb decisions as well.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
@Hawkey Town 18 how good was Panarin defensively in Chicago? Was he just a soft worthless bum? Shades of Pierre Turgeon? I would expect him to be less good defensively in Chicago than he was in Columbus and NYR tho, from lack of experience.

THN's player profiles are usually pretty detailed if a player is notable for being either good or bad defensively, and they don't mention Panarin's defense at all either way, just a lot of skill, and lack of size and physicality: - TheHockeyNews

Sorry for the delayed reply, I've barely had time to make some short posts in my own series. I would agree with TDMM here, Panarin is neither a plus nor a minus defensively in the ATD. In Chicago he would do some corner/board battling and use his speed to help on defense a bit, but nothing really notable.

Also in regard to his short NHL career, I think his last KHL season is at least worth something, he was 5th in league scoring with 62 points, first on his team (the leader was Radulov with 71 pts), and was named a 1st team AS. Then in the playoffs he was 1 point off the league lead and his team won the league Championship (his teammate Ilya Kovalchuk was named playoff MVP).

Considering the year after this he not only became a full-time NHL player, but was 4th in LW AS voting, I think we can say he was at least an NHL caliber player in 2014-15. Not saying we should adjust his vs.X score or anything like that, but I think it's fair to add one more year of NHL caliber hockey to his resume.

In regard to the McDavid comparison, McDavid has obviously been the better player since the two entered the league, but he's also being asked to play a bigger role in the ATD (primary playmaker of a 2nd line, while Panarin is in a 3rd wheel role), and at a much deeper position, so they are difficult to compare.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad