Red Deer gives players the finger

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
This isn't surprising. Charity one-off games never draw well, there needs to be something on the line for people to get excited.
It's a good wake-up call for the players. Hopefully the owners will get their wake-up call when they try to bring in replacement players and are met with similar crowds. Then the 2 sides can finally start to negotiate.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
They don't seem to have an problems supporting their junior team. And as mentioned earlier, ticket aren't exactly flying off the shelves in Winnpeg either. This is all indicative of just how little ground the PA has to stand on. They might as well just cave now because things are only going to get worse from here.

As for the article itself, when 800 fans turn up for the sole purpose of chanting "Comrie sucks" the NHLPA better take notice. And now for my favorite quote of the day:

"It was frustrating, but this has nothing to do with (the lockout)," Smyth said between periods. "Maybe we could have done a better job marketing, but I don't think we had enough time."

Sure thing, Smitty. It isn't because they realize what a bunch of greedy, self-interested swine you are. Yeah.... Denial is a fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Beukeboom Fan said:
Like someone else said - people won't pay to see shinny. Unless there's something on the line, people don't want to see some great atheletes just skating around.
Then why did the Oldtimers game virtually sell out the night before?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
good for Red Deer...maybe now they'll realize that everyone has better things to do (like watching the Rebels in the Playoffs) not some shiny game with nothing to play for

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
The Messenger said:
Lets not Forget American Idol and the Amazing Race were on TV Tuesday Night..

Hockey Fans have found others ways to fill their time ..
If fans really wanted to watch these guys they would have friggen Tivod American Idol and Amazing Race and gone to the hockey game. Bottom line, the fans did not care to see these particular players play this game.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
This makes me feel so good.. I'm cheering for the fans now. If only there were more situations like these... This puts a smile on my face.

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
Scugs said:
This makes me feel so good.. I'm cheering for the fans now. If only there were more situations like these... This puts a smile on my face.

Yep, three cheers for everyone in Red Deer that didn't show up (most of the city from what it sounds like)! :yo:

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
guymez said:
Then why did the Oldtimers game virtually sell out the night before?

That's a fine point! I'd say that the fans know what they are getting in an old-timer game, and want to see yesterday's hero's play. They probably feel that they can see Ryan Smyth & friends whenever the jackasses get the CBA straightened out.

All I know is that the "barn-storming" tour the players tried at the beginning of the year bombed as well. I think there is a huge back-lash against the current players (I'm sure the teams won't be held harmless either). I hope they realize the emnity that, unfair or not, most fans have for them.

And before someone says "the players don't care about the fans", everyone has to realize that over the long term - the fan's pay the bills. If both sides piss the fans off to a level that they don't expect, and the fan's don't came back as expected, both sides are hosed.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Sheesh.

Look, this is bad news for both sides. Why? Because of two things

a) people don't want to see NHL players without the element of competition involved.. I doubt it has anything to do with the actual players. And the old-timers arguement is invalid. You go to see old-timers to watch them play shinny, you go to see the current players to watch them compete.

b) I'm going to go out on a limb and see this as being reciprocal. NHL fans (at least US ones) don't want to see NHL players unless they're on teams and I bet that they don't want to see NHL teams without NHL players at NHL prices (ok, maybe they'll charge less for tix, but I bet they'll charge the same for concessions).

Actually, both of those things are worse for the owners than they are the players. If people are convinced that they're going to see a good competition, they'll come out. If a 3,000 arena stadium in a 75,000 person town can sell out like it does in Danbury, CT, then that just proves my point. No way would those 3,000 pay $40 bucks to see it though.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
nhl arenas will be just as empty with replacement players.

great to see fans speak with their wallets. (although bad for the charity).

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
Tawnos said:
b) I'm going to go out on a limb and see this as being reciprocal. NHL fans (at least US ones) don't want to see NHL players unless they're on teams and I bet that they don't want to see NHL teams without NHL players at NHL prices (ok, maybe they'll charge less for tix, but I bet they'll charge the same for concessions).
The question is, how much less can tickets be?
If the owners are expecting the players to be back at some point during the season, there's no way they can sell cheap season tickets. They'll be taking a massive loss.
I think both sides are essentially hosed until they can come to a deal.
An NHLPA league will not work. Replacement players will not work.
I cheer for the sweater, but I expect the player wearing it to have a certain skill level as well.

Hockey Moose

Rydified said:
They are coming to Regina tomorrow, and i'm going to support what they are doing for charity.

no your not...your doing it to get a game out of it. If you wanna support the chairty, go to your bank, signing up for a monthly donation from your account...

why do people always look for something in "RETURN" for their chairty money? Weather it's a tax break, a t-shirt or a sticker...somethings gotta come to you in order to donate.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Rydified said:
They are coming to Regina tomorrow, and i'm going to support what they are doing for charity.

Better just to support a charity by sending them the money directly.

By going to this game you support the NHLPA. Not necessarily with money, but you support them none the less.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
hawker14 said:
nhl arenas will be just as empty with replacement players.
Really? You expect NHL arenas to be at 13% of capacity?

If we get to replacement players, I'm not sure what we'll see attendance-wise, but my guess would be significantly north of your claim.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
Really? You expect NHL arenas to be at 13% of capacity?

If we get to replacement players, I'm not sure what we'll see attendance-wise, but my guess would be significantly north of your claim.
How So ??..

If Hockey Staved Fans in Canada do not show up to see NAME players and NHLers ..

What makes you think people in Nashville and Florida will show up to see FAKE players ??

Bauer83

Aug 27, 2004
The Messenger said:
How So ??..

If Hockey Staved Fans in Canada do not show up to see NAME players and NHLers ..

What makes you think people in Nashville and Florida will show up to see FAKE players ??

You are so oblivious to the point. They did not show up here in Alberta, because we are 90% pro-owner. Almost everyone agrees with what they are doing, and know that our teams would not be around if that is not the case. So they will show up here to see fake players, not cause of the good hockey, but to show their support.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Bauer83 said:
You are so oblivious to the point. They did not show up here in Alberta, because we are 90% pro-owner. Almost everyone agrees with what they are doing, and know that our teams would not be around if that is not the case. So they will show up here to see fake players, not cause of the good hockey, but to show their support.

yeah, for a game or two. then what ?

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
The Messenger said:
How So ??..

We're all speculating, obviously. My guess is that people are going to be much more inclined to watch NHL teams, competing, with the NHL brand behind them, in a league with which they are familiar, even without the best players (or some mix of NHLers and non-NHLers), than they will be to watch better players in a shinny tour, a tournament, or a startup league with which they have no familiarity. That's my guess. My question to hawker14 was about his claim that we would see NHL arenas at 13% capacity.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
hawker14 said:
yeah, for a game or two. then what ?

The support for replacement players on a different Calgary Flames messageboard is EXTREMELY high. Now perhaps that's all talk and the people won't back that up with their money but I doubt it. Here in Calgary we cheer for the team, for the jerseys. Whatever team Sutter ices I think will be supported very well in Calgary for more than a game or two.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
We're all speculating, obviously. My guess is that people are going to be much more inclined to watch NHL teams, competing, with the NHL brand behind them, in a league with which they are familiar, even without the best players (or some mix of NHLers and non-NHLers), than they will be to watch better players in a shinny tour, a tournament, or a startup league with which they have no familiarity. That's my guess. My question to hawker14 was about his claim that we would see NHL arenas at 13% capacity.

mid november with replacement players ?

i wouldn't be surprised to see 1500-2000 fans actually show up.

then again, maybe there are alot more people who like to throw their money away than i originally thought.

Last edited:

pacde

Dec 9, 2004
We get more than 18000 to a pre-playoff WHL game here in Calgary - and thats at $20 for the upper level seats. You can bet that whoever is on the ice with a Flames Jersey is going to be well supported. Having said that, I think we have some consensus here about the organization in this city - and I trust the new look flames will be competitive with the rest of the league and the quality isnt going to be that far below regular NHL standards. Heck, for the past seven years before last years run - we went and watched what amounted to a farm club for the rest of the NHL. Im betting the replacements will be at least that entertaining.

Remember its not a skills competition, its a hockey game. Im going to go because for me its about the heart the players put on the ice and I can imagine there might even be some improvement in that aspect. :yo:

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Flames Draft Watcher said:
The support for replacement players on a different Calgary Flames messageboard is EXTREMELY high. Now perhaps that's all talk and the people won't back that up with their money but I doubt it. Here in Calgary we cheer for the team, for the jerseys. Whatever team Sutter ices I think will be supported very well in Calgary for more than a game or two.

Calgary is a great hockey town, but once the novelty wears off and the Flames' fans see replacements for what they are ( you can't dress up a turd in fancy packaging, and sell it for premium chocolate prices without people catching on), i think the average fan would much rather spend $ 15 to see a Hitmen game than $ 50 to see a bunch of has-beens and never-will-be's.

this is nothing against Flames fans, as i love the city, i just can't see even 10,000 fans paying to watch garbage players game in and game out, in any city.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
The Messenger said:
How So ??..

Pure speculation. Who says fans in Red Deer are hockey starved? They have the Rebels. And since we're all speculating, I'd wager that the reason no one showed was simply because NHL players were involved and not many people wanted to support them. It was a message sending.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Flames Draft Watcher said:
And then what is the end hope by your support for Fake players ??

Do you want to keep your Fake players forever or you can't get rid of them fast enough to get Iggy and Red Deer's own Phaneuf and Kiprosoff back in the team Jersey's ..

By not supporting Fake players you might even get your Real ones back faster .. :dunno:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Vicious Vic said:
Pure speculation. Who says fans in Red Deer are hockey starved? They have the Rebels. And since we're all speculating, I'd wager that the reason no one showed was simply because NHL players were involved and not many people wanted to support them. It was a message sending.
What message did it send??? ..

The players were not making money ... The money was to go to Cancer research and other Charities .. Not sure the good people of Red Deer sent the right message there ..or the fans are so confused they have no idea what they are doing anymore ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad