Red Deer gives players the finger

Status
Not open for further replies.

se7en*

Icey said:
so to suggest that Edmonton is way ahead of Dallas is wrong.

No, it's not. There are tons of other indicators besides attendance that gauges a hockeytown. Now, Dallas fans love their team, I know that. As a hockeytown Edmonton is way ahead of Dallas because we have the history, passion, & player turnout to back it up. BTW the figure was 101% because of the Heritage Classic. I also believe Toronto, Philadelphia, & Minnesota were above capacity.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
reckoning said:
In 2001-02 Dallas missed the playoffs and actually finished two pts behind Edmonton in the standings yet finished ahead of Edmonton in attendance (11th to 15th); but i`m sure you`ll probably dismiss that as some aberration.
Just as a completely independent and mostly unrelated side-request, is there a site where we can look up these attendance numbers for past years?

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
Just as a completely independent and mostly unrelated side-request, is there a site where we can look up these attendance numbers for past years?

There is, but I can't hook you up with 'em, but.. I'm more than sure somebody on this forum can. I know this because I've gotten my info from reading these numbers on a thread in this forum with a site which was this 'postee's' reference.

..and don't remember which thread either. ..If only this person could come forward.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Hootchie Cootchie said:
It actually 16,839, but whos counting?

Completely laughable and futile to imply Dallas is a better hockeytown than here based on corporate tickets sold but many not used in a significantly bigger arena.

The question was would Dallas fans support the team if they were on the cusp of making the playofffs instead of one of the elite teams; I showed proof that they did and you responded with just opinion that they don`t. Could you offer any hard numbers about what percentage of Stars season tickets aren`t used? Yes, Dallas is a bigger area, but there`s also a lot more competition for the fans entertainment dollar. No disrespect, but how much is there to do in Edmonton on a Saturday night?

Edmonton is a great hockey town, and there should be something in the CBA to make it easier for them to keep their players ( revenue sharing would help just as much if not more than a salary cap, but for some reason while Oiler fans are committed to fighting for a hard cap to the end, they just shrug their shoulders about revenue sharing and say "oh, well"). I`m just tired of the pro-owner crowd making statements and then totally dismissing anything that contradicts them. Like, oh i don`t know, maybe saying that the attendance in Red Deer was " proof that all the fans hate the players" while at the same time when somebody brings up similar games that drew well in Vancouver or Dallas they respond " that doesn`t matter" or come up with ridiculous excuses like "the game in Vancouver was earlier when the fans hatred for the players hadn`t festered yet". Whatever.

Last edited:

Lanny MacDonald*

reckoning said:
The question was would Dallas fans support the team if they were on the cusp of making the playofffs instead of one of the elite teams; I showed proof that they did and you responded with just opinion that they don`t.

Actually, you have not shown proof of that because that has not happened in Dallas. Since the North Stars relocated to Dallas the team has been pretty much a perennial contender. Only the under-achievement of the team has been a problem post 1996.

1993-94... 97 points (42 wins), finished 5th overall (tie)
1994-95... 42 points (17 wins), finished 19th
1995-96... 66 points (26 wins), finished 22nd overall, Dallas' worst showing
1996-97... 104 points (48 wins), finished 2nd overall
1997-98... 109 points (49 wins), finished 1st overall
1998-99... 114 points (51 wins), finished 1st overall
1999-00... 102 points (43 wins), finished 5th overall (tie)
2000-01... 106 points (48 wins), finished 5th overall
2001-02... 90 points (36 wins), finished 17th overall, just a BLIP on the scope.
2002-03... 111 points (46 wins), finished 2nd overall
2003-04... 97 points (41 wins), finished 11th overall

Only once, 1995-96, have the Stars been out of playoff contention. And that year you point to as being comparable to Edmonton's situation, 2001-02 when Dallas just missed the playoffs, is an anomaly in the team's performance, which would likely have no affect on ticket sales. Only a prolonged period of poor play or failing t attain expectations do you see ticket sales begin to decline.

No disrespect, but how much is there to do in Edmonton on a Saturday night?

That is a red herring and a cultural question. What you might consider "something to do" may not appeal to someone from Edmonton. What someone from Edmonton might consider "something to do" may not appeal to someone from Dallas. Both are cities that offer different things for different people. There is an incredible number of things to do in any city if you look for them.

Edmonton is a great hockey town, and there should be something in the CBA to make it easier for them to keep their players ( revenue sharing would help just as much if not more than a salary cap, but for some reason while Oiler fans are committed to fighting for a hard cap to the end, they just shrug their shoulders about revenue sharing and say "oh, well").

I'm glad we all agree that the small market teams, including those in Pittsburgh, Carolina, Florida, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Columbus, Washington, Phoenix and Minnesota, should be able to some how hold onto their star players, even though it appears you don't have a grasp on the mechanisms and how they work to prevent inflation, which is the killer for the NHL. Those that argue "revenue sharing" as their primary basis for a solution have yet to point out how revenue sharing is not inflationary and is sustainable. That is the fault in the argument, one that no one can get by. Hand-outs are not sustainable in an inflationary system. That is why the cap with no sharing of revenues is more viable alternative to many.

I`m just tired of the pro-owner crowd making statements and then totally dismissing anything that contradicts them. Like, oh i don`t know, maybe saying that the attendance in Red Deer was " proof that all the fans hate the players" while at the same time when somebody brings up similar games that drew well in Vancouver or Dallas they respond " that doesn`t matter" or come up with ridiculous excuses like "the game in Vancouver was earlier when the fans hatred for the players hadn`t festered yet". Whatever.

Yeah, we definitely don't want to bring timing into the equation, do we? Timing has nothing to do with the players' incredible decline in popularity? And that would have no impact on ticket sales to player driven events now, would it. No, not at all. That impact wasn't felt in baseball? Nope. The players were always popular and the amount of animosity that built up against them had nothing to do with timing and the stance they took during the labor disruption. And that would not have any bearing on the situation in the charity games as well? A game played in December, when the possibility for a season was still there and the players hadn't said half of the moronic things they have to date would have sold no better than a similar game played in late March, after the season was long ago cancelled and the players had made more than eough statements to alienate the fans? No, that would have no bearing on things at all. Heck, using your logic, the reason the Dallas game did so well was obvious. There just wasn't anything to do in Dallas on that particular night in question.

:shakehead

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Vagabond said:
^I **** you not.. Then Toronto would be in trouble for they were 104% capacity. Vancouver was around the same number.. So, chief, it appears you've not done your job properly, look at all the buildings that are violating code.. 101 of section 303 verse 32, on page 74 and line 22. :sarcasm:

They were sell-outs not maximum capacity. There is a big difference.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
So what's the new excuse by the pro-nhlpa people regarding the fact that Winnipeg gave the players the finger? Same thing as what was said of Red Deer?

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Icey said:
They were sell-outs not maximum capacity. There is a big difference.

No, it was overall capacity. It wouldn't make sense if it was 101% sellouts, now would it. It could be 100%, 60% 84% sellouts. Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton and a few other teams had over capacity crowds at times which in the end resulted to 101% capacity, 104% capacity and so on and so forth. Look it up, I'm too lazy.

Bulldog fan

Timmy Dogs Alum 1999
Nov 5, 2004
101York Bld Hamilton
Back to fans giving the NHL players the finger. This Saturday's outdoor game in Hamilton is fast approaching and the venue (Ivor Wynne) is just a bit more then half sold out. The organizers were hoping for a sellout of 30,000+. It probably won't happen in hockey rich southern Ontario either. Is this lack of tickets also a finger to the NHL?

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Vagabond said:
No, it was overall capacity. It wouldn't make sense if it was 101% sellouts, now would it. It could be 100%, 60% 84% sellouts. Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton and a few other teams had over capacity crowds at times which in the end resulted to 101% capacity, 104% capacity and so on and so forth. Look it up, I'm too lazy.

Sure it would because a sell-out does not mean every seat in the house is sold. A sell-out means only single seats remain, whereas maximum capacity means every seat in the house is sold. So if Edmonton, Toronto etc. have maximum capacities of 101%, 103% what seats have those 1-3% been sold for or do they sell SRO tickets? I know the arenas in the states I have been to don't sell SRO tickets.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Smail said:
So what's the new excuse by the pro-nhlpa people regarding the fact that Winnipeg gave the players the finger? Same thing as what was said of Red Deer?

I thought the game in Winnipeg was cancelled?

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
Icey said:
I thought the game in Winnipeg was cancelled?
Yes it was, because we intelligent Winnipeg fans gave the NHLPA hucksters the proverbial finger loud and clear. Barely 1000 tickets sold including a good portion in 2-1 fire sale.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Icey said:
Did you even read what that comment about Edmonton related to because it had nothing to do with any of the GARBAGE you just spewed out. It was a conversation about raising/lowering ticket prices. I think if the NHL is in such a bad financial state as they claim, then lowering ticket prices is nothing but a recipe for disaster.

I didn't just take your quote at face value, I factored in your comments in previous posts (in this thread) and responded. In hindsight the 'post reply' key would have been a better choice, but I sense that you still would have gotten all worked up and made some reference to 'garbage' anyway.

Icey said:
My example of Edmonton had NOTHING to do with player salaries, but everything to do with revenue and you actually re-inforced what I said. If Edmonton sells out every game and struggles to be financially competitive (regardless of the reason), how is lowering ticket prices going to help Edmonton? How does lower revenues help Edmonton? It doesn't matter that their will be a cap and teams like Dallas, Detroit, Colorado will no longer be able to spend whatever they want, Edmontons revenue $$$ will drop with lower ticket prices. Lower revenues still mean less money to spend on players.
How can you deal with only one side of the equation and think that it is a valid argument? Don't expenses play a role? A cap does matter if it lowers the teams player expenses to the point were the net income goes up. Therefore lower ticket prices are possible, especially in a market like Edmonton were the owners got involved primarily to break even.
The key is budgeting on a fixed cost of doing business at a sustainable amount. Its only a matter of time before this happens. When the ineffectiveness of current union strategy (what exactly is that anyway?) becomes obvious to the majority of players, things are going to get quite interesting.
Icey said:
I think this league should worry about getting healthy first and then lower ticket prices.

Agreed...thats why they need (and will get) a new CBA with cost certainty.

Icey said:
And just for your reference, I have not always lived in Dallas. I grew up in a city that I watched a NHL team get ripped out of . I watched Gary Bettman and the NHL devastate a city without even caring or thinking about it. I know whats it like to support a small market team with litttle to no chance of winning. I know what its like to cheer for a losing team. I know its very easy to cheer winning team and its much harder to cheer for a team you know has no chance to win. I've done that a lot longer than I have supported Dallas. Gary Bettman sealed the Jets fate because he was greedy. Instead of helping them to survive he saw $$$$ and the money took over. Why wasn't he fighting for the small market teams then? But don't worry he's still not on your side. He may get you your cap and you might think that will solve all the problems this league, but don't worry he'll screw you over with revenue sharing and the small market teams will be no better off 5 years from now then they are today.

Bettman had virtually nothing to do with the demise of the Jets. The Dallas Stars probably had more to do with it than Bettman. I lived in Winnipeg in the early 90's (back when ticket prices were very affordable) and that city did not support that team as well as they should have. There were very very few if any sellouts during the regular season. Is that Bettmans fault? Is it Bettmans fault that at the time no one stepped up to procure the necessary funding for a badly needed new arena. Little wonder no one stepped up when they didn't even make it much past 75% of capacity over the regular seaon in the old Winnipeg Arena. The city of Winnipeg has no one but themselves to blame....with the possible exception of the big market teams who drove up salaries exponentially, which expedited Winnipeg's demise. (Kinda ironic to think that teams like Dallas played a role in Winnipegs demise...don't ya think)
So please explain how Bettman is responsible?
I guess Bettman should have been standing on Portage and Main all through the 80's and early 90's wearing a sandwich board with a sign pleading the city of Winnipeg to support their team.
In your defense however it is pretty easy to get caught up in the NHLPA's mantra of ......Blame Bettman For Everthing.

Icey said:
While hockey in Dallas certainly takes a backseat to football, baseball and basketball, those involved in the sport of hockey are very passionate fans. To those fans, hockey is very important. Did you know that there are more pro-hockey teams in the state of Texas than all of Canada? Do you know how much the hockey market has grown in Dallas since the Stars arrived and we have Mike Modano to thank for that.

And although I wouldn't necessarily say the fans here are pro-player or pro-owner, more they really just want hockey to be played, but not just any hockey, they want NHL pro hockey played. They were pissed when the season was cancelled, unlike fans in Canada who felt it was necessary. Fans here are very passionate and very involved in the lockout. When the season didn't start in september a group of fans held a wake at American Airlines Center for the loss of NHL hockey. A few months later Daley came to Dallas and held a town meeting. You should have heard the fans screaming at Daley when he said hockey fans understand why we are doing this and will be back when this is all straightened out. They were mad that he assumed they would just sit back and wait and then return when hockey decides it should return. I don't think its a conincidence that he has not done one since.

*snip*
Like Dallas, your owner has deep pockets and has never blinked twice before digging in.
*snip*

This more than anything highlights exactly why I don't fell sorry for Dallas fans at all. The Dallas Stars have the money to stay the course with the last CBA so who cares what the impact is on most of the league. How self serving is that? They don't give a rats ass about the financial sustainability of the league as a whole as long as Dallas has their annual shot at the Cup. That either speaks volumes about how stupid they are or how selfish they are...I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and go with the latter.
You call it passion....I call it self serving and shortsighted.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
reckoning said:
In 2001-02 Dallas missed the playoffs and actually finished two pts behind Edmonton in the standings yet finished ahead of Edmonton in attendance (11th to 15th); but i`m sure you`ll probably dismiss that as some aberration.
Iconoclast did a bang up job :handclap: of addressing this and backing up my claim. I don't think its necessary to add anything further.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Icey said:
Sure it would because a sell-out does not mean every seat in the house is sold. A sell-out means only single seats remain, whereas maximum capacity means every seat in the house is sold. So if Edmonton, Toronto etc. have maximum capacities of 101%, 103% what seats have those 1-3% been sold for or do they sell SRO tickets? I know the arenas in the states I have been to don't sell SRO tickets.

^You cant have 101%sell-outs. How, there're 41 home games. If 41/41 home games were sold-out, what would the percentage be? 100%, right? The only way there could be higher than 100% being sold-out would be if they had sold-out 42games out of 41, and that does not make sense at all. When we are talking about capacity being at 101% or 103%, what does that mean? It means there are 1-3% over capacity. How do they do it, I don't know. It states clearly that it's 103% capacity, not sold out. Why don't you get on the phone or something and call-up the Leafs management to find out.. I'm also aware of the distinct differences between that of a sell-out and what capacity is.

Phanuthier*

Vagabond said:
^You cant have 101%sell-outs. How, there're 41 home games. If 41/41 home games were sold-out, what would the percentage be? 100%, right? The only way there could be higher than 100% being sold-out would be if they had sold-out 42games out of 41, and that does not make sense at all. When we are talking about capacity being at 101% or 103%, what does that mean? It means there are 1-3% over capacity. How do they do it, I don't know. It states clearly that it's 103% capacity, not sold out. Why don't you get on the phone or something and call-up the Leafs management to find out.. I'm also aware of the distinct differences between that of a sell-out and what capacity is.
There's alot of ways you can oversell. In Edmonton's case, the obvious is the Heritage Classic.

Other ways would include box suites. Each box is given x number of tickets, and alot of box suite owners can choose to have few then x number of people in that box that night, but overload the box with over x number of people another night since those tickets arn't marked for dates.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Splatman Phanutier said:
There's alot of ways you can oversell. In Edmonton's case, the obvious is the Heritage Classic.

Other ways would include box suites. Each box is given x number of tickets, and alot of box suite owners can choose to have few then x number of people in that box that night, but overload the box with over x number of people another night since those tickets arn't marked for dates.

^How do they still end up in the end with a higher capacity crowd though? ..Or can they over crowd box suites all the time? Thanks for this info.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Vagabond said:

No need to get all snippy. I was simply asking a question that I assumed you knew the answer to since you were the one quoting the facts. Didn't realize you didn't know what the facts meant, but rather you were just reporting them. But since my cousin works for the Leafs perhaps I will ask her.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
guymez said:
How can you deal with only one side of the equation and think that it is a valid argument? Don't expenses play a role? A cap does matter if it lowers the teams player expenses to the point were the net income goes up. Therefore lower ticket prices are possible, especially in a market like Edmonton were the owners got involved primarily to break even.
The key is budgeting on a fixed cost of doing business at a sustainable amount. Its only a matter of time before this happens. When the ineffectiveness of current union strategy (what exactly is that anyway?) becomes obvious to the majority of players, things are going to get quite interesting.

I agree with that, but the old debt is still there. They have still lost millions of dollars. Its doesn't magically disappear just because you have a new CBA. Its kind of like running your credit cards up to the limit and then getting a new one. You may have a new credit card with nothing on it and lots to spend, but you still have the old debt. I just think the NHL should start to make some money before they start to lower ticket prices

Bettman had virtually nothing to do with the demise of the Jets. The Dallas Stars probably had more to do with it than Bettman. I lived in Winnipeg in the early 90's (back when ticket prices were very affordable) and that city did not support that team as well as they should have. There were very very few if any sellouts during the regular season. Is that Bettmans fault? Is it Bettmans fault that at the time no one stepped up to procure the necessary funding for a badly needed new arena. Little wonder no one stepped up when they didn't even make it much past 75% of capacity over the regular seaon in the old Winnipeg Arena. The city of Winnipeg has no one but themselves to blame....with the possible exception of the big market teams who drove up salaries exponentially, which expedited Winnipeg's demise. (Kinda ironic to think that teams like Dallas played a role in Winnipegs demise...don't ya think)
So please explain how Bettman is responsible?
I guess Bettman should have been standing on Portage and Main all through the 80's and early 90's wearing a sandwich board with a sign pleading the city of Winnipeg to support their team.
In your defense however it is pretty easy to get caught up in the NHLPA's mantra of ......Blame Bettman For Everthing.

I don't blame Bettman for everything, but for this I do hold him partily responsible. The NHL promised the city of Winnipeg that they would save the Jets and didn't. Whether he had no control over it or not, he made a promise he couldn't keep.

The Jets had a real bad owner. Barry Shendakrow was as bad of an owner that you could get. He was greedy, self-serving and selfish. He had probably the worst arena deal ever made and didn't care. At atime when the Jets badly need the proceeds from concessions and parking there were none, and he had no interest in even going to arena to ask for them. But Bettman should have stepped in. The NHL should have stepped in. Maybe its not Bettman's fault, but when your the man at the top as they say "the buck stops here" and with the NHL the buck stops with Bettman and anything and everything to do with the NHL is Bettman. That might not be fair, but its just the way it is.

But the big market teams had nothing to do with the Jets being sold, but had everything to do with Shendakrow being greedy. A group together with the City of Winnipeg has raised the money to buy a portion of the Jets (I believe it was 42%) for $32M which would leave Shendakrow with 22% of the team. They even agreed to let him keep a seat on the Board of Directors, the governorship of the franchise and two year consultant fees to help a new person to run the day to day operations. But Shendakrow was greedy and wanted more. He not only wanted a seat on the board of directors, he wanted the presidency.

But the Jets could have sold out most nights if the manangement had even resembled compentency in mangement. But still 12-13,000 filled that arena every night. This team was no different from Buffalo and Ottawa, yet Bettman saved those team.

This more than anything highlights exactly why I don't fell sorry for Dallas fans at all. The Dallas Stars have the money to stay the course with the last CBA so who cares what the impact is on most of the league. How self serving is that? They don't give a rats ass about the financial sustainability of the league as a whole as long as Dallas has their annual shot at the Cup. That either speaks volumes about how stupid they are or how selfish they are...I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and go with the latter.
You call it passion....I call it self serving and shortsighted.

Nobody is asking you or anyone else to feel sorry for Dallas fan or any other large market team, but to take it out on the fans of team is just....well childish. You can hate Tom Hicks or Doug Armstrong for signing those players, but as a fan I had nothing to do with the signings. And as a fan I don't consider myself selfish or shortsighted, but passionate. I was unaware that I need to be a fan of a small market team in trouble to be considered passionate.

I cheer for whomever they put on the ice whether they pay them $9M or $900,000, that what fans do. I haven't supported all those signings. I hated when they signed Guerin. I thought it was a waste of money and I still belive that. Nothing would make me happier than have Tom Hicks ship Guerin out of town, gee maybe Edmonton will take him back. Nothing made me happier then when the Stars refused to ante up to Derian Hatcher last summer. Perhaps that was the beginning of their smarter ways. Although they do still have some big names signed, I think they planned for the new CBA better than Detroit, Toronto and Philadelphia who just seem to sign and sign not caring about the new financial landscape of the league.

I admire players like Jere Lehtinen who last summer signed a contract extension and when the Stars asked him what he wanted he said all he wanted was a no trade clause. They gave it to him, along with a slight raise, afterall he is a 3 time selke winner, nominated 5 times, I think he deserved the no trade clause.

I admire players like Don Sweeney, Stu Barnes and Rob DiMaio who take pay cuts to play for the team, yet play their heart and soul out every night. I think you would be hard pressed to find a night that any of those players did not earn their paycheck. I hate players like Marty Turco who think they are better then they are and hold out for more money when they are not worth it.

So if it was my choice I would take a team made up of Jere Lehtinens, Rob DiMaio's, Don Sweeneys over a team of Bill Guerin, Jason Arnott and Marty Turco any day of the week.

I don't blame the fans in Edmonton for the team they put on the ice, so why do you blame the fans in Dallas for the team they put on the ice? Do you think Tom Hicks cares what I think about his Guerin signing or any of the signings? And I truly believe that if Hicks has won by spending all that money he wouldn't be singing the salary cap tune, but he lost and wasted his money. There is no easier way for him to stop spending the money than to jump on the salary cap bandwagon.

And if you back and read some of my posts you will see that I have always said that this league needs a salary cap. I think the players should have taken Bettmans $42.5M offer and I think they should take the $37.5M because it may not be a great thing for the players, but its the best thing for the health of this league. I want this league around today, but I also want it around in 10 years. I want all the teams to compete. But I think there are things in the prosposals that are too pro-owner that I don't like. I think the owners want to make their proposal risk free on their part and yet reap all the benefits. The owners not only don't trust the players, they don't trust each other. They may all be on the same page right now, but just wait until the CBA is signed and FA signings start and you will see the backstabbing start up once again. You have owners like Bill Wirtz who won't spend a dime and doesn't care if he wins or loses, he only cares about how much money he makes. An owner who could give a crap about his fans. An owner who won't even televise the home games . he's not alone there are a lot more like him and I think the NHL should force owners to spend a certain amount on players, TV, etc so this game grows. As long as there are owners like this, this game will never move forward and grow.

I think they are just bullying the players and that is why I a more pro-player than pro-owner.

Phanuthier*

Vagabond said:
^How do they still end up in the end with a higher capacity crowd though? ..Or can they over crowd box suites all the time? Thanks for this info.
Lets take an example. Maybe that will be easier to understand.

Lets take a building with 30 box's. Each box can hold 15 people. Seating capacity is 17,000.

Now lets say on Night 1, the Anahaim Mighty Ducks play the Nashville Predators (home) - not exactly a game everyone wants to go to. So, out of 450 possible tickets for that night, lets say only 150 go - that leaves 300 tickets. Lets say the next night, Nashville plays Minnisota, again 300 box tickets unused. Toronto the next night. Now since everyone is boycotting Toronto for their reckless spending, 400 tickets are unused. Now the next time, Nashville plays the Calgary Flames, a brewing rival. Now the area sells out the 17,000 tickets (including the 450 box ones) but since the hockey tickets are unmarked for date or event, the leftover 1000 tickets from previous games are used - thus, 18,000 people show up to that game for a "max seating capacity" of 17,000.

Lanny MacDonald*

Splatman Phanutier said:
Lets take an example. Maybe that will be easier to understand.

Lets take a building with 30 box's. Each box can hold 15 people. Seating capacity is 17,000.

Now lets say on Night 1, the Anahaim Mighty Ducks play the Nashville Predators (home) - not exactly a game everyone wants to go to. So, out of 450 possible tickets for that night, lets say only 150 go - that leaves 300 tickets. Lets say the next night, Nashville plays Minnisota, again 300 box tickets unused. Toronto the next night. Now since everyone is boycotting Toronto for their reckless spending, 400 tickets are unused. Now the next time, Nashville plays the Calgary Flames, a brewing rival. Now the area sells out the 17,000 tickets (including the 450 box ones) but since the hockey tickets are unmarked for date or event, the leftover 1000 tickets from previous games are used - thus, 18,000 people show up to that game for a "max seating capacity" of 17,000.

That makes no sense what so ever. I'm not sure whether you are not explaining what you are thinking properly. The tickets (box seats) are alreay accounted for in the sales, so how can they be counted a second time to achieve more than capacity? The only way you achieve more than capacity is if more seats are openned up, if standing room is allowed or a special event where additional seats allow for an over-flow. Examples of such would be the Flames opening up the nose-bleeds, the Red Wings allowing standing room (allowable under their fire bylaws I guess) and the Oilers with the Heritage Classic. The Heritage Classic is what put the Oilers over the 100% as that extra 50,000 tickets is added to their ticket total. The other ways don't make much sense because of the fire safety bylaws that the Flames and Oilers both have to live with (you of all people should know the rules governing occupancy of the suites as well as standing room). Can you clarify the point you're trying to make because it seems rather confusing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad