Red Bull Crashed Ice

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
just watched the first tournament of this years championship
I always liked it but I watched it a bit closer this year since a hockey-mate of mine qualified
as I`m not a good skater so I have hugh respect for this guys so I wanted to ask if any of you guys tried it?
and where you live, how valued is this sport?

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
I don`t know where you are from but in my area (austrian/german boarder) its pretty easy to take part because there are plenty of chances to qualify

but there are just 4 events, and only one in NA

Katharina

Jun 5, 2010
Saw some ads for it, it looks ****ing nuts. Is it on tv too or do you have to be there to see it?

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
A friend of mine does it and he's ranked somewhere in the low 30's in the world ranking. I don't have a death wish so I won't be trying it any time soon.

Thresh

Dec 30, 2010
This looks amazing, i'd love to do it!

Now i just need to learn to skate really really really really really really well and get over the fear of crashing.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I don't want to brag, but I would be absolutely sick at this sport.

Now when I say sick, I don't mean pneumonia or anything, I'm just thinking a few broken bones and stuff.

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
A guy on my team applied. He's a good skater, but I don't think he'd be on par with the guys that compete. Then again he is a bit crazy, so he has that going for him.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
This year's track was slower than in previous years. There's a tight turn about half-way through that requires you to turn about 270 degrees.

If you want to get involved, you have to register for a qualifier in your coutnry. Keep in mind that you will hit speeds of nearly 70km/h. Momentum and some strong strides will get you out of the gate pretty quickly. After that it's just managing the jumps and handling the turns. This year's Canadian track had this wicked 270 degree turn. Watching the slowmo replays, it was amazing to see how sloppy some of the guys were performing their tight turns.

At that speed, your reflexes are probably more important than your skating speed. It's not that difficult in terms of what you need to do on your skates, but you have to know the track well and have your timing right. You might be able to make a shallow turn, but if you can't react to it at that speed you're going to smash the wall.

I think a strong skater with experience in downhill skiing could do well at the sport.

2fast4u2*

I tried out for it for the first 2 years when they started it.....great experience IMO....wasnt that hard to try out for BUT i hear they are making it harder now.....i still have all kinds of stuff they gave you for tryin out......gonna hold onto it might be worth money later on lol

2fast4u2*

The try outs are NOTHIN like what you see in the competitions...not even close

2fast4u2*

Did you know that majority of the guys that make it to Quebec are drunk when they end up competing? Red Bull and Vodka is the drink au jour down there BIGTIME

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad