Red Berenson Steps Down At U-M

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What's Toronto going to do now that they're losing their coach?

Literally 1 reply to this thread and you beat me to the joke.

Anyway, good for Red. It's pretty crazy my entire life he's been at Michigan. Truly the end of an era. He's an institution to Michigan hockey.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What is the joke?

That Babcock was going to take over the Michigan program. There was some speculation he'd leave the Wings to do that, due to family connections and it being such a cushy job, instead of pursuing another NHL gig.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
What a great coach! I'm glad I got to watch him throughout the years, even though his teams sometimes steamrolled my Badgers. Hats off to a stellar career:handclap:

Blash's name has been in the rumor mill, btw. It wouldn't shock me if he landed there. I doubt Mel Pearson leaves Tech; he's an alum and seems happy to be rebuilding their program.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Was working a U of M football game for ESPN one time, and got caught in an elevator & got to talk Wings with him. Great representative for hockey, U of M, and the Wings.

Good luck in retirement Red!

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
What a great coach! I'm glad I got to watch him throughout the years, even though his teams sometimes steamrolled my Badgers. Hats off to a stellar career:handclap:

Blash's name has been in the rumor mill, btw. It wouldn't shock me if he landed there. I doubt Mel Pearson leaves Tech; he's an alum and seems happy to be rebuilding their program.

Mel took the Tech job to get head coaching experience and become a viable option in AA as a successor. I think he would leave Tech at the drop of a hat for Michigan.

Cole was also a good hire at State FWIW.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Mel took the Tech job to get head coaching experience and become a viable option in AA as a successor. I think he would leave Tech at the drop of a hat for Michigan.

Pretty happy with the hire.

Congrats to Red, most of you know I don't like U of M all that much. But I respect Red Berenson as much as anyone in the hockey world. He did a great job there and by all accounts is a spectacular person on and off the ice. I hope he enjoys his retirement, I expect we will see him in the area from time to time.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Only he could decide when he could go but he easily could've left after the CCM line and Werenski all left. He has one of his weaker teams in recent meomory this season.

Great career for Red...hopefully the program can endure his departure.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish

That might be the prevailing notion among fans, but not so much with the hockey writers, re: Pearson. I'm sure the job is his if he wants it, given his history with UM. Whoever takes the job has to be ready for A LOT of scrutiny.

I also like the hire of Cole at MSU. Hiring Anastos was kind of a head-scratcher in the 1st place. Best of luck to Cole getting a great program back on track.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
That Babcock was going to take over the Michigan program. There was some speculation he'd leave the Wings to do that, due to family connections and it being such a cushy job, instead of pursuing another NHL gig.

Ah ok, thanks!:)

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Buccigross and Mike Spath are reporting that UM has hired Mel Pearson as head coach.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Not sure if you saw the U18's but Quinn Hughes looked great.

I didn't get to see any of it, but I read some glowing reports on the kid from the tourney. Should be a good one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad