Records You Are Certain Will Never be Broken...

cmm1246

Sep 26, 2016
Exactly what I came to post lol
Me too. I can see some rule changes to get scoring up higher, but player safety is never going to go backwards, so I think this is one of the most unbreakable records in all of sports. It's insane to think about in today's game.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I am just wondering, what was so different in the game back then that allowed a goalie to play 500 straight games? What if you tried to play a goalie in every single game nowadays, would he die? Would he get seriously injured?

I'm sure there will be factors given, but one I think first hand is that goalies are too coddled these days. Hardly ever will they play a back-to-back. The days of a Brodeur starting 77/78 games for a team are long gone.
It's a much less physically demanding position when you're standing up the majority of the time.

Reactions: 1989

klefbombs shoulder

Jul 21, 2023
Off the top of my head:

1. Gretzky's 1963 career assists. Highest active is Crosby with 996.
  2. Gretzky's 2857 career points. Active leader is Crosby with 1581.
  3. Gretzky's 163 assists in a season. Active leader is McDavid with 96 (and counting).
  4. Gretzky's 382 career playoff points. Active leader is Crosby with 201.
  5. Roy's 151 playoff wins. Active leader is Fleury with 92.
  6. Hall's 502 consecutive starts. Active leader probably has under 20?
  7. Brodeur's 691 career wins. Active leader is Fleury with 560.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
A lot of the counting stats I wouldn't ever say would be untouchable. Really unlikely sure, but the game could change drastically, you never know that. The Hall consecutive starts will legit never be broken. Its like IP numbers for baseball. It just won't happen.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe.....Robinson had +120 one season, so maybe not impossible.
Fair, but that was a comparable era though.

The amount of team dominance it would take just doesn't seem possible today.

Reactions: Dog

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Fair, but that was a comparable era though.

The amount of team dominance it would take just doesn't seem possible today.
As their are more teams the talent is not going to be same as teams playing 6-10 teams. So yes you will not see that broken. As right teams as right time with more dominant dynasties.

Last edited:

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I am just wondering, what was so different in the game back then that allowed a goalie to play 500 straight games? What if you tried to play a goalie in every single game nowadays, would he die? Would he get seriously injured?
He could get injured since it’s a more acrobatic position now, but also, he could just get burned out. Think about it, he’s the only player on the team playing an average of 60 minutes per night.

Everything is much faster now, including the average shot speed. And the game is the most offensive it’s been in two decades.

The level of focus and physicality needed is just so much higher today than it was in the past.

So you could play a single goalie all season, but why would you? It’s just bad strategy to do so at this point.

And if he gets injured, you want your backup already in playing shape having played a lot of games throughout the season.

Reactions: Dog

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Mario Lemieux 13 SHG in 1988-89 highly doubt will be beaten. Phil Esposito 550 shots in 1970-71 and 2nd is Ovechkin at 528 shots in 2008-09. If Ovechkin could not do it probably unbeatable.

Last edited:

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
A lot of the counting stats I wouldn't ever say would be untouchable. Really unlikely sure, but the game could change drastically, you never know that. The Hall consecutive starts will legit never be broken. Its like IP numbers for baseball. It just won't happen.

Ya like I could see them continuing to hamstring defense and goalies. They would be fine with 8-10 goals a game. NFL continually makes defense harder. I pretty much expect them to continue to do that.

Reactions: TLEH

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Theoren Fleury's 3 SH goals in a game is pretty good (the team record is 4 for context). There's quite a few with 2 SH goals in a game, so maybe it gets tied. Very unlikely that record gets broken.

Reactions: dukeofjive

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Halls starting streak is amazing

Gretzky’s 50 in 39 is mind blowing

Richard’s 11 Cups

Gretzky’s career points and 163 assist season.

Mario’s shorthanded goals in a season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad