Records You Are Certain Will Never be Broken...

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I think about 15 years ago many people would have bet their life savings that Gretzky's career goals record would never be broken in their lifetimes. It's not a done deal yet, but it appears Ovechkin will in fact break that particular record.

What are some records you will be shocked to see broken?

There's no way Gretzky's career points record will ever be eclipsed. I don't think anyone will ever score more than 215 points in a season... at least not in an 82 game season. If the NHL expands its regular season schedule to 100 games or something and scoring further rises, then it may happen (still wouldn't bet on it, though).

I can't see anyone ever scoring ten or more points in a single game again. If someone like, say, MacKinnon or McDavid manages seven or eight points through two periods, then unless the score is reasonably close his team will probably bench him for all or most of the third period and not give that player PP time in the final period.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Gretzky holds many records that probably won't be touched. Hall's consecutive games is not going to be touched. As for comparison that's 6 straight seasons playing 82 games is still only 492 games he holds it at 502. His 552 including playoffs probably won't be beat either.

Last edited:
Reactions: RegDunlop

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Buffalo Sabres Playoff drought.

There are kids going into high school who were not alive the last time the Sabres made the playoffs.

Oh... and it's still accumulating years.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Absolutely incredible record. A goalie would need to play every single game for 6+ seasons. Most goalies nowadays don't even play more than 5 games straight.

I am just wondering, what was so different in the game back then that allowed a goalie to play 500 straight games? What if you tried to play a goalie in every single game nowadays, would he die? Would he get seriously injured?

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I am just wondering, what was so different in the game back then that allowed a goalie to play 500 straight games? What if you tried to play a goalie in every single game nowadays, would he die? Would he get seriously injured?
I'm sure there will be factors given, but one I think first hand is that goalies are too coddled these days. Hardly ever will they play a back-to-back. The days of a Brodeur starting 77/78 games for a team are long gone.

Reactions: Dog

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Well, for players safety I believe we won't ever see a modern goalie play full 82 games or even 75+ games. My guess maybe we might see someone get close to 70 games eventually. Depends on few factors from training, injuries, and being on right team at right time I suppose.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Dave Schultz 472 PIMs in a season

Tiger Williams, 3,971 PIMs career

Liam O'Brian is leading the NHL with 153 PIMs. He would need 219 more to hit Schultz's record.

Corey Perry leads the NHL with 1, 424 PIMs for his career.
Teams barely pass 500 pims in a season, so that.

Howe's playing in 4, or 5 decades, or whatever it was.

Anyone playing in more than 2 centuries.

The two fastest goals, which I believe Montreal set, or tied at 2 seconds. If the NHL changes rules where a faceoff can be somewhere else other than centre ice and the other team's goalie sucks, or they leave the goalie pulled I could see 1 second.

Fastest hat trick at 8 seconds, or whatever it was.

Selanne's goal total for a rookie. I believe his point total is also a record, so both.

The sens-flyers game for most pim in a game.

50 goals in 39 games, though the way goalies are trending I could potentially see this one being beat.

5 consecutive cups, which happened in a 6 team league and was fairly hard to do even then. The Islanders almost winning 5 while playing 4 series per playoff year is super impressive. I'd consider that more impressive than the Habs 5

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Brodeur's most wins as a goalie record is more unattainable then Gretzky's records. The age of a starter's playing 70+ games a season are over.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
I wouldn’t make any bets on the subject without heavy caveats to account for changes in rules / expansion / etc. If somebody does the math to figure out 15 goal games make owners more money then a lot of untouchable records will fall.

Which highlights how ridiculous it is that the untouchable goal record is about to fall in a worse scoring era.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I was going to say the Sittler single game pt record, but I think all it would take is a somewhat fluke performance sort of like Sam Gagner getting 8 pts - in on every one of his team goals that game. Like some have said if a superstar was at like 7 or 8 pts with their team up by 5 goals into the 3rd they might get sat. But if they're 1 pt a way I could see a coach putting him in for 3rd period pps or just to see if they could tie or break the record.

Hall's consecutive gams goalie record is up there for sure.

The 92 goal season is probably close to unbreakable too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad