Proposal: Reclamation project to Ottawa

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
It only makes sense to move Zacha in a hockey trade. 2nd round pick does nothing for us, and I'm not a fan of Zacha in the least.
I’d rather have a 2nd round pick than Zacha, personally. But I’d much prefer getting someone like Nino in a trade if that was an option.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I’d rather have a 2nd round pick than Zacha, personally. But I’d much prefer getting someone like Nino in a trade if that was an option.

I can't blame you for feeling that way about Zacha...I'm tempted to make that sort of trade just so we can be over and done with it and people stop falling for the trap lol.

I'd like to get Nino from Carolina too, but my ideas usually involve getting Bean as well and probably giving up Palms lol. But I'd definitely take a shot on Nino.

Reactions: SteveCangialosi123

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'd happily send you Lias Andersson for a 2nd.

Ottawa wont give a first for Puljujarvi, maybe their latest 2nd

I can live with that... DAL 2020-2nd maybe?

It's not my call (believe it or not), but depending on the Rangers draft board and who's there, I think they would be amenable to that.

I think Lias for a 2nd is a good trade for both teams. I still believe he will end up in the NHL.

Gotta fix that attitude first.

The slow boots are more of a lack of concern, IMO. If he could skate at an NHL level I'd imagine more people would be willing to overlook the 'tude

IMO, Rangers botched his situation. Rushed him, then put him in a position where he couldn't succeed. I (as well as a few Rangers posters) thought he had a really good training camp last year and was going to be utilized on the third line, but he started on the fourth line with Brett Howden and was sent down. Played less than 10 minutes a game. I don't think the frustrations necessarily show signs of immaturity. The World Juniors medal toss gets blown out of proportion.

Individually, he needs to play with faster players, but the Senators organization is building a roster with a lot of speed. Has he grabbed the bull by the horns? Nope. But, he is still just 21-years old, and if he is moved, which I think is increasingly more likely now that he is staying in Sweden, I think he plays with a chip on his shoulder for the next organization he goes to. I think this is one of those cases where it is both player and team.

Going to Ottawa would be a great situation for him. Longer timeline, less media scrutiny, and a roster that complements his strengths (he has a solid two-way game). HF will tell you he has "no value," but 21-year olds who need a change of scenery are always worth 2nd/3rd-round picks, especially to a team that has a treasure chest of picks the next two years.

Sounds like Nikita Filatov to me. He was also a top ten pick who moved onto another organization (Ottawa). The cost was a third round pick, and it didn’t work out, but it was worth taking the risk in my mind.

Want to move on from the distraction.
He is an effin ingrate who had sufficient time w/Kreider and Zib, and did not produce/deserve to stick.

This guy was a huge overreach at 7; that said, the draft was bad and he was closer to 18OA consensus.

That he didn't cut the mustard then does not mean he for certain can't cut it in the future. Why?
He lacks skill but actually has proven successful, including as a boy in a man's league in Sweden, due to his drive.
Take Habs Gallagher. You look at him, you see nothing. No speed, no shot, no etc.; however, when it is time to put up or shutup, somehow, some way, the guy gets it done. And commendably so.

Rangers missed out on Glass. After that things get iffy. Hindsight should have shown balls and traded pick for future 1st +, but it was a 7OA and we had big need and high hopes.

Now LeoDrai first couple of months in NHL were totally unpretty.
But he got that worked out.

That is what you are buying.
An elc guy who needs to skate at NHL level, which may/may not be doable. But it is worth a shot to the right club.

worst case, 4th liner or bust
best case, 3rd liner who pinches minutes on 2nd line in emergency

Not only don't I wanna quibble, give me DAL 2nd and I will throw in return of OTT 2021 4th.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
If Sakic decides to cut ties with Jost, probably a 2nd + 3rd/4th.

After this playoffs I don't see that happening though - the previous 2 playoffs he's been one of our most consistent forwards. His regular season play leaves a lot to be desired, but for whatever reason he's been a great playoff performer.

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
Sounds like Nikita Filatov to me. He was also a top ten pick who moved onto another organization (Ottawa). The cost was a third round pick, and it didn’t work out, but it was worth taking the risk in my mind.

IMO, Lias has a higher hockey IQ than Filatov did. That, and he projects more as a grit player, and I think that attitude/chip factor will eventually will him back into the NHL. I say "solid" third line guy, potentially high-end fourth line guy is more realistic for him now. If he stays at C, probably bottom line, but as a wing, I think he can excel next to a more "skilled" 3C.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.

After this playoffs I don't see that happening though - the previous 2 playoffs he's been one of our most consistent forwards. His regular season play leaves a lot to be desired, but for whatever reason he's been a great playoff performer.

Yost has 6 points in 24 playoff games. He might be a good soldier but he is not a point producer. He might get you guys a 2nd but that would be as high as I would go.

Pool party on the other hand is interesting. I think he is under rated. I might be talked into giving up the Islander's pick if I was the Sens.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Dal Colle? Seems to have at least become an NHLer at this point but will probably never get a shot on anything higher than our 3rd/4th line.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Dal Colle? Seems to have at least become an NHLer at this point but will probably never get a shot on anything higher than our 3rd/4th line.

The problem is Ottawa already has plenty of younger players looking to make the jump. Most of whom have had more success at the pro level. I think the basis of the thread is a bit off the mark for that reason. Batherson, Norris, Formenton, Brown are all deserving of an opportunity, after those four there is still Balcers, Chalpik and Abramov at forward who could prove useful. I don't see how wasting an asset to acquire a player who didn't work out elsewhere is of any benefit. I do believe Ottawa will be in the market to acquire a player or two but I think it will be a more established player than some of the names mentioned in this thrad.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Time and space. It's why a lot of guys on the Islanders succeed when it comes to playoffs. Give them space and they don't know what to do. Over think plays and try to do too much. Hard working players excel with no space. Hard to pay against. Attack every rebound. Cycle and crash the net. There's not much to think about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad