Pre-Game Talk: Recent Play

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Figured this has been a topic of discussion and found a Twitter thread that breaks it down a little:

The full thread is worth a read, but do those who don't want to Twitter, here's some bullet points:

- In the 14 games since Svech went down, we've had 7 wins and 7 losses.
- 3 of those 7 losses were shutouts.
- Aho, KK and Necas all have 9 points in those 14 games. Noesen has 8.
- The rest of the forward group has no more than 4, individually. The worst offenders are TT (3 points in 10 games), Staal, Jarvis (3 points in 14 games), and Puljujarvi (1 point in 12 games).

Outside of that Twitter thread, you can actually expand it a bit further, since the two games before Svech went out were a 4-0 loss to Vegas, and a 1-0 win against Philly (where Svech had the only goal). So instead of 14 games, you can change it to 16 games and no numbers would change.

And since the PP has been a topic of discussion, we are 5/38 (13.1%) in those 16 games. Aho has 2, Burns, Skjei and Svech have 1. It also shows we're barely drawing above two PP opportunities a game (which is ridiculous in it's own right), but shows how important it is to convert on the chances we do get.

So in the past 16 games (a little under a month), we've been shutout 4 times, our forwards have produced 1.5 goals per game (thank God our defensemen put up goals), and our powerplay is at 13.1%

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
But injuries and there's always next year™. I'm also told being the 2010s San Jose Sharks and Nashville Predators is perfectly fine. Real success is cool, but having fun and defending subprime lending guy is cooler.
But whatever ridiculous thing this is you keep going with that ignores any perfectly legitimate arguments on the other side to be a dick is actually the coolest.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
We are the easiest playoff team to shut completely down by far..

If we play NYR we are a first round out. If we don't we are a 2nd round out. The end.
I can’t see anything wrong with your logic. Well, except for that I could see the Isles and the Panthers beating the team in the first as well, not just the Rangers.

Reactions: DaveG

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Major oof.

No surprise so many of our forwards have barely put up any points the past few weeks since Svech got injured. Really, I doubt they'd be much better even with Svech let's be honest. Especially people he never shares a line with (Staal comes to mind).

What really stands out to me is all of the shutouts against this team. That really supports the notion we need more goal scoring in our roster IMO. Even before Svech got injured, teams shutout Carolina 3 times (including Vegas which he was injured in).

I tried looking up times shutout for a "rankings" to see who has gotten shutout the most this season, but I kept getting shutouts that a team recorded. Maybe the more stats website familiar can post that information.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
It’s the vibe around the team to me. After having these fantastic regular season records for a few seasons now, it is disappointing and a little anti-climactic to end the season and kinda back into the playoffs in this fashion again. Instead of revving up and having a nervous excitement about the possibilities like some of our potential competitors appear to be displaying. I’m not saying they are DOA but they look lost with no swagger.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I can’t see anything wrong with your logic. Well, except for that I could see the Isles and the Panthers beating the team in the first as well, not just the Rangers.
Isles I think we beat. Panthers is a toss up for me.

NYR NJD TOR BOS all losses. TBL a toss up but probably a loss.

Reactions: MinJaBen

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Isles I think we beat. Panthers is a toss up for me.

NYR NJD TOR BOS all losses. TBL a toss up but probably a loss.
I think Isles and Panthers both can beat us, but in very different ways. The Isles will play our game in front of a better goalie and can win 1-0 games. Florida will give up some goals, but can out score their problems against our offense.

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
But injuries and there's always next year™. I'm also told being the 2010s San Jose Sharks and Nashville Predators is perfectly fine. Real success is cool, but having fun and defending subprime lending guy is cooler.
Winning all season and losing in the playoffs is better than losing all season and not playing in the playoffs. I really, really don't understand how anybody would possibly feel otherwise.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Winning all season and losing in the playoffs is better than losing all season and not playing in the playoffs. I really, really don't understand how anybody would possibly feel otherwise.
2006 was fantastic. 2009 was a great run.

They really didn’t make me feel better about 2010-2018.

Reactions: DaveG

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Any 2 Wolves worth a shot to combine with Jarvis on the 4th line?

Edit: if there aren't and we are stuck with the old guys S & S then that's an indictment on minor league development and of course drafting (because those 2 guys are brutally bad this year).

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Without Svech and Patches, and with all our goalies falling to earth at the same time, we probably have the weakest roster going into the playoffs.

With Svech and Patches out at least a significant chunk of next year at a best case scenario, things arent going to get much easier and without some significant changes this summer we are going to struggle to contend for the division crown next year, and we could be in danger of missing the playoffs if someone else makes serious strides. We have fought like hell lately just to be a .500 team since Svech went down. That's not going to cut it next year.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Without Svech and Patches, and with all our goalies falling to earth at the same time, we probably have the weakest roster going into the playoffs.

With Svech and Patches out at least a significant chunk of next year at a best case scenario, things arent going to get much easier and without some significant changes this summer we are going to struggle to contend for the division crown next year, and we could be in danger of missing the playoffs if someone else makes serious strides. We have fought like hell lately just to be a .500 team since Svech went down. That's not going to cut it next year.
It’s a little early for roster speculation but 3rd and 4th lines need a re-work with some size. Plus, although I like ghost I’d prefer a bruising d on the 3rd pair with Chatfield. Too bad our Ru asset won’t available.

Btw: even if they get back by Feb we can’t count on Svetch and Patches pkaying at their usual levels.

I’m unfortunately not expecting Svetch to produce until the following year and of course by then our D corp will need a modification.

We may have missed our window.

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
It’s a little early for roster speculation but 3rd and 4th lines need a re-work with some size. Plus, although I like ghost I’d prefer a bruising d on the 3rd pair with Chatfield. Too bad our Ru asset won’t available.

Btw: even if they get back by Feb we can’t count on Svetch and Patches pkaying at their usual levels.

I’m unfortunately not expecting Svetch to produce until the following year and of course by then our D corp will need a modification.

We may have missed our window.
Until we get a top end player that the opponent needs to scheme around, I am not sure we've ever really been in a window to begin with

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Team is good when healthy. Team is never healthy. Team has lots of fans who make excuses. Team has fans who think making the playoffs annually when half the league makes the playoffs is some kind of an accomplishment because prior coaching/ownership was literally so horrible they didn't make it for a decade. Team has too many sycophants.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Team is good when healthy. Team is never healthy. Team has lots of fans who make excuses. Team has fans who think making the playoffs annually when half the league makes the playoffs is some kind of an accomplishment because prior coaching/ownership was literally so horrible they didn't make it for a decade. Team has too many sycophants.
Just a sad post.

There isn’t a recipe for success in the playoff formula but a hot goaltender. There is 0 way to predict that.

Reactions: cptjeff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad