Recent ESPN new format snafus

kk

diehard NYI/WPG fan
Jun 29, 2007
Taiwan (from Manitoba)
Seems like there's a ton of deserved outrage. Whole leagues auto-drafting because of one stretch last night the site couldn't for the most part be accessed unless you figured a work-around, and not everyone is computer savvy that way. There wasn't anything wrong with the old format. They removed the active scripts usage mid-season last year, all sports. That sucked. But they have given us a front page chat box in the new format. That said though, it's been so riddled with glitches and lacking full LM functionality, I can't feel stronger how bad this was a screw up for them. Whole leagues drafts were ruined this year. No notice. No "we're going to be down for a few hours" notice, nada, nothing.

There's a Reddit thread where many describe their leagues last night auto-drafting completely. ESPN apologizes. Good lord... My drafts went okay, but there's been a lot of people who have had quite the opposite experience. In one keeper, we had some players taken out of the database so their spots weren't filled anymore in the keeper rounds of the draft. Who is sailing this ship?

So how bad does this play out for them, do you think? And it seems they rolled this out not fully ready for the hockey first, and basketball too. Baseball and football next year to follow. There's a strict limit on the amount of content you can even put on the front page LM Note now too. Why do that?! There's no new features, only stunting what we had and with glitches and down times when leagues are drafting the night before the season opens.

Okay, rant over. I am just curious how much outrage there is about this. Not the end of the world, I know. But it's also not rocket science how to deliver these services while getting your advertising revenue. I can only shake my head.

kk

SooperSingh

Sep 19, 2008
Calgary
We have a league that im a league manager in, and i absolutely hate the new format. They've removed bunch of useful features including league history. I used the online chat system with four different people in a day and they said some of the features may return once season starts though i dont see anything as of yet.

We have some conflicting records back from 2015 season showing someone other than who actually won as the winner now and I requested records and they basically said there's nothing they can do.

They're trying to make things "mobile" friendly but they've basically removed all the fun features. I can't even post images/videos as the League Manager's features. The only options available are to basically change the font style- underline or bold lol

joshd5

Aug 29, 2013
My league had a weird issue where it wouldn't let teams keep certain players. The two I know of for sure were Kyrou and Jacob Larsson. The teams that selected them as keepers had to select different keepers. I ended up having the league avoid drafting those players and then had the teams add those players after the draft. ESPN seems to have taken away a lot of LM abilities in Hockey leagues which is frustrating. I don't know if it's just me missing something or if it's happening in all leagues but I can't edit or delete posts. I e-mailed ESPN about it and got a response back around 3 weeks later basically saying they were making changes and there were bound to be issues.

kk

diehard NYI/WPG fan
Jun 29, 2007
Taiwan (from Manitoba)
I can't even post images/videos as the League Manager's features. The only options available are to basically change the font style- underline or bold lol

You can still include images and YouTube videos using the same coding as last year. They just have not listed the code names like they used to. [image ] xxx [/ image] still works, as does YT. (leave the spaces out)

But yes, agree with everything else you said. They took our own league history, trophies, and any other pertinent info out. Not impressed.

Reactions: SooperSingh

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
figures that when I go on to see how my team is doing tonight it's down.

I sent a lengthy email to their support staff straight up asking who was dumb enough to okay a change with this many bugs and hiccups, but ultimately it'll be for nothing.

I feel like I'll be moving over to fantrax or yahoo next year. ESPN was my favourite fantasy sport service, but with this change they're easily the worst.

Reactions: Oley49

JayKnowsHockey

Nov 27, 2017
Worse part right now is that they dont even have the right schedule, its a joke.

We use weekly matchups and you cant even tell how many games a guy has during that week. So now we have to use a different site to see schedule. Like WTF is going on ESPN.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
I've moved my league to Fantrax and it makes me feel like I've been wasting my life, even before the recent changes (which have made ESPN garbage) Fantrax is a much better experience. So much customization and control for the commish.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
ESPN was my favorite. I mean FanTrax is the best but theres no app. u can add it on your home page as an icon from the website but hard to explain to people that dont know how to do stuff like that (my entire league)
ESPN is a damn joke now. this change serves no real purpose, its a change for the sake of making a change and because of it my life has become a nightmare.
why can I not even see my weekly moves? or list all player with a gametime next their names, I have no Edit Rosters (basically in playoffs when people are eliminated and they add a player, I cant go and drop that player for the active rosters)

with Edit Rosters missing, any Idea how long it took me to manually trade all the draft picks in the off season, about 4 hours. I had to make a second account, add second user, send trade offer, delete 2nd user, create 2nd user on team I sent trade to, Accept trade. delete 2nd user and repeat. I had around 30 trades to do. I had to relog in to my email over 60 times throughout this process.

I have gone on their customer service many times now and its all the same song and dance. we are sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you, theres no time frame to when this will be fixed. Im on a verge of deleting my keeper league from the past 5 years and move to Yahoo. ESPN has basically spit in our faces. theres is no reason for them to make any changes when they didnt add anything to the table other than taking away options that made ESPN great. most pathetic update I have ever seen, UPDATE more like a Downgrade. I would rank them 1/10 this year. god awful and I will not be returning ever again to ESPN after this.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I've had some young players who are starting their first nhl game not record a single stat with espn despite playing and putting up points themselves.

If you're getting alot of bugs with ESPN on firefox, try chrome. It seems to have fixed one big annoyance I had where I couldn't set any lineup in advance. Only 'todays'. Every time I tried to skim ahead with firefox it was just automatically flip back to today's date. Bleh.

SooperSingh

Sep 19, 2008
Calgary
You can still include images and YouTube videos using the same coding as last year. They just have not listed the code names like they used to. [image ] xxx [/ image] still works, as does YT. (leave the spaces out)

But yes, agree with everything else you said. They took our own league history, trophies, and any other pertinent info out. Not impressed.
Thanks for that! I was able to add an image but what's the code for adding you tube videos?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It’s an absolute disaster. I used to put a lot of time into my fantasy playing around on the waiver wire, looking at everyone else’s roster etc. Don’t even want to log into the website this year

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Right now I can't see schedules. That's the main issue for me. Both app and homepage claims that every single player on my team plays Chicago every single day, which I'm quite sure they don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad