Recalled/Assigned: Recall: Zac Dalpe and Phil Varone (Dalpe assigned 1/15)

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres 5m5 minutes ago
NEWS: The #Sabres have recalled forwards Phil Varone and Zac Dalpe from @AmerksHockey.

Interesting, didn't expect to see Dalpe up here.

Additional Q - does Dalpe become the ugliest Sabre of all time? I googled him and cringed at his picture.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres 5m5 minutes ago
NEWS: The #Sabres have recalled forwards Phil Varone and Zac Dalpe from @AmerksHockey.

Interesting, didn't expect to see Dalpe up here.

Additional Q - does Dalpe become the ugliest Sabre of all time? I googled him and cringed at his picture.

Is he Rod Brind'amour ugly? or Nicko McBrain ugly?

wheelklown

Dec 19, 2014
Batavia, NY
Glad to see Varone back. Love the way he plays, relentless on the puck and always seems to be in the right spot.

I went to the Amerks game saturday night and even though he and Grigs were noticably tired from the three games in three days, Varone was still putting it all out there and had a few chances.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Glad to see Varone back. Love the way he plays, relentless on the puck and always seems to be in the right spot.

I went to the Amerks game saturday night and even though he and Grigs were noticably tired from the three games in three days, Varone was still putting it all out there and had a few chances.

Was there as well and Dalpe was hustling. Finishing checks and in on the forecheck.

timnsr72

Jul 5, 2009
Rochester NY
The Varone and Dalpe call up leads me to believe they may be rewarding effort, rather than calling up the most skilled player.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Is he Rod Brind'amour ugly? or Nicko McBrain ugly?
20140103_ajl_bb9_128.0.jpg

He's not even the ugliest current Sabre :dunno:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Wondering if Larsson is in their plans. If he's not, they should consider a deal.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Wondering if Larsson is in their plans. If he's not, they should consider a deal.

Can't imagine he helped himself by complaining about being put on the 4th line. I think the question is ultimately whether he isn't in Nolan's plans or whether he isn't in both Nolan's and Murray's plans. If it's the latter, I could see him included in a deal at the deadline, especially considering I don't think he's waiver-eligible next year (RIP Capgeek). If it's the former, perhaps he gets another shot with the team if/when Nolan is whacked. I could see him on the roster next year, but he better figure out how to make his game work with limited top-9 minutes.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Yep. I know that was the reason Nolan and Murray talked during practice the other day. They felt the callups were getting burned out.

Rochester has played 38 games.

Grigo has played 43 total.
Larsson has played 41.
Schaller also 41.
Pysyk and Varone 39.

Makes sense that our "main" callups are burned out. They played 5 over their last 7 and then again on Saturday, making 6 out of 8.

I'm a little surprised that it's Varone up and not Ellis or D'Amigo.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Rochester has played 38 games.

Grigo has played 43 total.
Larsson has played 41.
Schaller also 41.
Pysyk and Varone 39.

Makes sense that our "main" callups are burned out. They played 5 over their last 7 and then again on Saturday, making 6 out of 8.

I'm a little surprised that it's Varone up and not Ellis or D'Amigo.

Yeah some of the kids need a break. I'm glad they brought up Dalpe and gave him a chance. As for choosing Varone over D'amigo (Ellis is sick anyways), I just don't think they could justify not bringing up Varone after how well he performed in his 3 games up here.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
Can't imagine he helped himself by complaining about being put on the 4th line. I think the question is ultimately whether he isn't in Nolan's plans or whether he isn't in both Nolan's and Murray's plans. If it's the latter, I could see him included in a deal at the deadline, especially considering I don't think he's waiver-eligible next year (RIP Capgeek). If it's the former, perhaps he gets another shot with the team if/when Nolan is whacked. I could see him on the roster next year, but he better figure out how to make his game work with limited top-9 minutes.

Larsson is waiver eligible next year, so they'll have to make a decision on him in training camp next year or risk losing him on waivers. I hope he's at least around as an extra forward next year. I think he'll get another chance down the stretch when some combination of Stafford, Stewart, and Mitchell are moved, so hopefully we'll have a better gauge on him by the end of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad