Rebuild this team

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Did we not rebuild the D this year, or have I been watching some other team that has been icing 3 rookies on the blue-line?

Why in the world would you think what we're seeing up-front is GMDPs plan to rebuild the Fs? It's a stopgap to give some space to Wilson and Smith, and next year FF and hopefully 1 or 2 more from Milw, then add an FA or 2 when we have a mature D and the OLD Cs are gone. (cause, c'mon, we saw those kids last year - not a one was ready to play this year except MAYBE Beck)

A 3yr rebuild while hoping to stay competitive for the last 2 PO spots, rather than just completely stinking up the joint. If Peks doesn't go down you know - as bad as we've been on O - we're right behind MIN cause surely he'd have won a few these not-ready-for-prime-time backups have just bombed on, and the start to the rebuild looks pretty good.
Yes, I think I agree with this.

:handclap:

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
And that works fine too. I see him splitting time between the 3rd and 4th line. He's good on the PK.

I'll tell you something else why I like him. I saw him take a monster back breaking hit in a preseason game when he was first coming up. I was like, ouch, there is no way he's coming back out for the rest of the game. Next shift, he was out there. Klein is the same way. I've seen him go into the boards weird, looking like he's broken an ankle or some other crazy stuff and he's back out on the next shift. It's guys like this that are great to have on a team because all they want to do is get back out on the ice for their next shift and play hockey. It's about the team to them. While Spaling and Klein aren't spectacular, they are key cogs that you need to build a winner.

I think Watson could turn in to another Fisher in time and honestly, that means a great third line center with grit who can sometimes play the second line if need be. Once again, a good guy to have on the team to build around.

I really feel if we got rid of a lot of the redundancy of players that we have, added two quality top 6 guys to the young guys we have on the team, we're not that far off. Problem is, where do you get top 6 guys and who do you give up?

That's the $1,000,000,000 ?...

I really think we could get away with moving Josi for a nice asset.

I truly think a couple of roster moves and an exit interview with Trotz would improve the Preds more than people think.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Did we not rebuild the D this year, or have I been watching some other team that has been icing 3 rookies on the blue-line?

Why in the world would you think what we're seeing up-front is GMDPs plan to rebuild the Fs? It's a stopgap to give some space to Wilson and Smith, and next year FF and hopefully 1 or 2 more from Milw, then add an FA or 2 when we have a mature D and the OLD Cs are gone. (cause, c'mon, we saw those kids last year - not a one was ready to play this year except MAYBE Beck)

A 3yr rebuild while hoping to stay competitive for the last 2 PO spots, rather than just completely stinking up the joint. If Peks doesn't go down you know - as bad as we've been on O - we're right behind MIN cause surely he'd have won a few these not-ready-for-prime-time backups have just bombed on, and the start to the rebuild looks pretty good.

This is a good post and I admit that I keep forgetting that we have Jones, Ekholm, and Ellis all on the blue line (in addition to Josi who just graduated from being a prospect).

However, where I (somewhat) disagree is with his handling of rebuilding our forwards. The "staying competitive" point is a good one, however, he went way too overboard in signing grinders and mediocre boarder line 2nd liners (Stalberg) to long contracts for a rebuild. At least Cullen is only here for another season.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Away from Trotz he's playing against teenagers; under Trotz he has to play against men.

Stop paying attention to reality. Young kids like Forsberg in the future, Ekholm, Ellis, Jones, Josi, Smith, Wilson, Bourque and Hornquist will never be given minutes to develop by Trotz as young players.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Stop paying attention to reality. Young kids like Forsberg in the future, Ekholm, Ellis, Jones, Josi, Smith, Wilson, Bourque and Hornquist will never be given minutes to develop by Trotz as young players.

Reality is Trotz game plan with "young kids" had us drafting 4th last year and has us 2 points out of the cellar in the Central division of the Western Conference.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
My thing is it really isn't that hard to make the playoffs in hockey. More than half the teams do. The hard part is getting to the 3rd round of the playoffs. That is where the elite teams end up and we are not even close to that right now. We are better off not making the playoffs this year and even next year in order to stock pile some truely strong prospects for the future. Can you imagine if we suck really bad next season and end up with the top pick? Mcdavid could be the type of player that would be considered a generational talent. That is how you can build a team that will compete for cup every year. Through the draft!

Personally I would look into trading away some of our veterans for high picks in next years draft and not this one. You might just get lucky and get that number one pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00