Rebuild this team

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Why will we not go ahead and rebuild this nightmare?

Lets look at some other teams.

Pittsburgh
2003 1st overall pick-Fleury
2004 2nd overall pick( worst team but lost lottery to caps)- Malkin
2005 1st overall pick-Crosby

Tampa Bay
2008 1st overall pick-Stamkos
2009 2nd overall pick- Hedman

New York Islanders
2009- 1st overall pick-Tavares

These teams have thes star players because at some point they sucked it up. We need to do the same thing. Look at these franchises today. Once you get good players people will come watch the games and winning will come. We just do not need to be afraid of a rebuild. We need to trade who we can and get draft picks and/or prospects and rebuild this mess. I know I have said this before but the mediocrity must stop. If we are scared about the fans not coming out call the Islanders and ask them about the 300% increase they had once Tavares was drafted. Exciting players will bring out more fans.

I love hockey and I love the Predators but it is time to start fresh. If Weber and Rinne want to stay so be it if not trade them for what we can. Next year is the year to get draft picks. The 2015 draft is a good one. We do not need to be trading for 30+ year old players and trying to make a push into the playoffs we need to trade what we can and go for top three pick or two if we trade Weber.
Edmonton is trying a rebuild and they have a very solid top line but that is about it no goalie, no defense to speak of. We just drafted Jones we have Josi both young pieces along with Ellis and Ekholm. We have some young defenseman. We drafted Saros the kid who just owned the WJC. We have Maz and Hellberg. We need that top end offensive threat now. Who knows how long it will take but once you get some offense in here to go with the young defensive players we have already in place. We also have Forsberg who could blossom into something nice. Weber would fetch us some nice pieces. Klein could as well but he would probably want to stay. I just want to see something exciting on the ice for once and not the same old system. So Trotz and Poile probably need to go as well. Lets rebuild this.
I for one believe the Predators are one team who deserve a McDavid type player on our roster but to go after him will require us to take it to the gut.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I have never, and will never, promote tanking. What I am 100% in favor of is shipping off our older players for younger pieces, which will likely end in us losing more games and getting a better pick. I want the guys to play hard every single night, but if we lose, that's ok (for now).

I do think we should explore options for Weber and trade him only for an overpayment, but I don't think Poile does it. Related to that, if we are rebuilding, I want someone else to oversee it. Poile has served this franchise well, but it's time for a new direction IMO.

Out: Legwand, Cullen, Nystrom, Hendricks
Maybe, for very good value: Weber, Rinne, Klein, Hornqvist, Borque, Wilson, Ellis
Keep as a mentor: Fisher. I love this guy, ok?

At that point, draft good forwards and go.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Why will we not go ahead and rebuild this nightmare?

Lets look at some other teams.

Pittsburgh
2003 1st overall pick-Fleury
2004 2nd overall pick( worst team but lost lottery to caps)- Malkin
2005 1st overall pick-Crosby

Tampa Bay
2008 1st overall pick-Stamkos
2009 2nd overall pick- Hedman

New York Islanders
2009- 1st overall pick-Tavares
Red Wings haven't had a top 10 pick in over 20 years. They've had a top 20 pick once in 20 years.

There are other examples of teams who were built without absolutely sucking, but the RWs certainly are one.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
I have never, and will never, promote tanking. What I am 100% in favor of is shipping off our older players for younger pieces, which will likely end in us losing more games and getting a better pick. I want the guys to play hard every single night, but if we lose, that's ok (for now).I do think we should explore options for Weber and trade him only for an overpayment, but I don't think Poile does it. Related to that, if we are rebuilding, I want someone else to oversee it. Poile has served this franchise well, but it's time for a new direction IMO.

Out: Legwand, Cullen, Nystrom, Hendricks
Maybe, for very good value: Weber, Rinne, Klein, Hornqvist, Borque, Wilson, Ellis
Keep as a mentor: Fisher. I love this guy, ok?

At that point, draft good forwards and go.

That is what I am talking about. I want to see an excitement in the arena and I do not care if we lose every night 5-4, 6-3 as long as we look like we are giving 100%.

I noticed on another thread on here asking about a 3 or 5 year plan. I see a three year turn around being a reality depending on what we draft over the next two years.
Think about this.
2012- 11th pick-Filip Forsberg via Erat trade (rated #1 European Skater that year)
2012- 37th pick- Pontus Aberg ( rated #6 European Skater that year)
2013-4th pick-Seth Jones ( most had him #1)
2014- if it was decided today we would pick 7th who knows

we already have some up and coming youth we just need some more.

Last edited:

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Pittsburgh enjoyed 5 consecutive years of top 5 picks with four top two overalls to rebuild ... it resulted in one Cup.The Hawks had two consecutive top three picks, five top 11 in a row and broke a 49 year Cup drought. Tampa had three top 6 picks in a row and has selected in the top ten in five of the past six drafts and is just now starting to turn the corner. The Isles had five consecutive top 5 picks including the #1 overall used for Tavares. All had multi-year runs of not just missing the playoffs but of sitting at the bottom of league standings ... nine of ten years missing for the Hawks with a one and done to prevent ten years straight of missed post seasons; no series wins for the Isles since 92-93, missing the playoffs 13 times since then; four straight missed post seasons for the Pens, plus benefiting from the lockout year draft.

Then there is Edmonton ... missed the post season in thirteen of the past twenty seasons, three consecutive #1 overall selections, selected in the top 10 in seven of the past eight drafts .... still residing in the cellar.

Rarely is it one bad year, get the early draft pick, quick rebuild. As the Oilers illustrate, multiple sure fire picks do not guarantee success. That's without getting into the coaching carousels most of those teams underwent trying to find a fix (Constantine, Brooks, Hlinka, Kehoe, Olczyk, Therrien in a six season stretch for the Pens).

If a full rebuild happens, expect several years of seasons that make 2013-14 look good in comparison. I can't imagine how depressive these boards will get if we play like the early 2000s Hawks, Isles, or Oilers. A 2nd round loss sends this place into a tailspin wanting everyone's head ... think what 5+ seasons of not even sniffing the post season will do.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Pittsburgh enjoyed 5 consecutive years of top 5 picks with four top two overalls to rebuild ... it resulted in one Cup.The Hawks had two consecutive top three picks, five top 11 in a row and broke a 49 year Cup drought. Tampa had three top 6 picks in a row and has selected in the top ten in five of the past six drafts and is just now starting to turn the corner. The Isles had five consecutive top 5 picks including the #1 overall used for Tavares. All had multi-year runs of not just missing the playoffs but of sitting at the bottom of league standings ... nine of ten years missing for the Hawks with a one and done to prevent ten years straight of missed post seasons; no series wins for the Isles since 92-93, missing the playoffs 13 times since then; four straight missed post seasons for the Pens, plus benefiting from the lockout year draft.

Then there is Edmonton ... missed the post season in thirteen of the past twenty seasons, three consecutive #1 overall selections, selected in the top 10 in seven of the past eight drafts .... still residing in the cellar.

Rarely is it one bad year, get the early draft pick, quick rebuild. As the Oilers illustrate, multiple sure fire picks do not guarantee success. That's without getting into the coaching carousels most of those teams underwent trying to find a fix (Constantine, Brooks, Hlinka, Kehoe, Olczyk, Therrien in a six season stretch for the Pens).

If a full rebuild happens, expect several years of seasons that make 2013-14 look good in comparison. I can't imagine how depressive these boards will get if we play like the early 2000s Hawks, Isles, or Oilers. A 2nd round loss sends this place into a tailspin wanting everyone's head ... think what 5+ seasons of not even sniffing the post season will do.

I can handle the loss to the Canucks, the Coyotes on the other hand ... Phoenix was still trying to find an owner is all I'm saying

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
I don't think there is a "fix" per say, but a few things that could happen that would give us a chance to be much better quickly.

1. the obvious one-Pekka gets healthy. Someone on OTF did an analysis and after a lengthy research and a bunch of stats said we would be 6 points better with him this year. I think it may be 2-3 points lower, but whatever. A healthy NHL goalie is essential.

2. Smith, Forsberg, and Wilson have to continue to develop. Smith we need to develop into a 25 goal scorer, Wilson is a tick under .5 a game. We need him at least to hit the .6 ppg mark. Forsberg is the wild card. He could be a ppg guy, he may be Simon Gamache. If these are the three offensive pieces we are building around the next 2-3 years, we need them to contribute 70-75 goals over the course of the season. Add in Hornquist for 100 goals from 4 of a top 6. Center is still the big issue here. It makes no sense to let a guy like Legwand go only to sign his clone-a 50 point player. And really only Marleau and Thornton are the 2 UFAs that would be nice, but they are on the wrong side of their careers. After that, you have Stastny, Grabovski, and Legwand. (before anyone touts Grabos scoring, he has 4 more points than Legwand playing with Ovie, Backstrom, etc. I don't know about offering 6 million to any of those 3 guys for half a point to .75 ppg.

3. This roster as it stands is pretty close to set for next year as well, with Legwand being the only F or D UFA. Splaing, Ellis, Ekholm all RFAs. So you have to decide what you have coming up that is really an option to help us. If Watson can handle a top 9 role, you have to decide whether to trade Cullen, or resign Legwand. I doubt Fisher or Gaustad are going anywhere. I think Beck has a role on this team, but a bottom 6 one. A tweener if you will. Sissons and aberg are still more than a year away IMO. I am not worried about our D. I like it. I like the top pair, I like what I can see out of E/jones and can see that as an awesome pair, and I like what Ellis and Klein bring at ES as well as what they do with their respectice special team jobs.

4. If I were GM, I would deem Watson a top 9 center. I would resign Legwand for 2 yrs/5mil per or 3yr 4.5 million. (and before the pitchforks come out, Weiss got 4.9 for less than what Legwand brings) If he hits the open market, he will get 5.5-6 on a short deal. I would then turn around and trade Cullen for a low 1st. AKA to a contender. I would bring Watson up immediately. I also trade Bourque for whatever I can get for him. a 3rd? 4th? I like Becks size for than GB speed. However this does 2 things, we get much slower as a team minus 7 and 57. But we also get much, much bigger. I would also try to get something for Clune or Hendricks, but the reality is, Clune probably gets waived.

5. At the draft, you draft the 2 BFA, not BPA and hope 2-3 years down, they develop into 1st line talent. (this is with our pick and the Cullen pick.)

you roll next years D and G just like this year, and our F corp is a bigger group.

Wilson-Fisher-Hornquist
Smith-Watson-Stalberg
Beck-Legwand-Forsberg
Nystrom-Gaustad-Hendricks
Spaling is super utility player/scratch/player who plays when motivating a top 9er.
Clune is waived.

In stock we would have 4 potential top 6 Forwards in the 2 forward draft picks, Sissons, and Aberg. Also have bottom 6 options like Salomaki

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
I don't think there is a "fix" per say, but a few things that could happen that would give us a chance to be much better quickly.

1. the obvious one-Pekka gets healthy. Someone on OTF did an analysis and after a lengthy research and a bunch of stats said we would be 6 points better with him this year. I think it may be 2-3 points lower, but whatever. A healthy NHL goalie is essential.

2. Smith, Forsberg, and Wilson have to continue to develop. Smith we need to develop into a 25 goal scorer, Wilson is a tick under .5 a game. We need him at least to hit the .6 ppg mark. Forsberg is the wild card. He could be a ppg guy, he may be Simon Gamache. If these are the three offensive pieces we are building around the next 2-3 years, we need them to contribute 70-75 goals over the course of the season. Add in Hornquist for 100 goals from 4 of a top 6. Center is still the big issue here. It makes no sense to let a guy like Legwand go only to sign his clone-a 50 point player. And really only Marleau and Thornton are the 2 UFAs that would be nice, but they are on the wrong side of their careers. After that, you have Stastny, Grabovski, and Legwand. (before anyone touts Grabos scoring, he has 4 more points than Legwand playing with Ovie, Backstrom, etc. I don't know about offering 6 million to any of those 3 guys for half a point to .75 ppg.

3. This roster as it stands is pretty close to set for next year as well, with Legwand being the only F or D UFA. Splaing, Ellis, Ekholm all RFAs. So you have to decide what you have coming up that is really an option to help us. If Watson can handle a top 9 role, you have to decide whether to trade Cullen, or resign Legwand. I doubt Fisher or Gaustad are going anywhere. I think Beck has a role on this team, but a bottom 6 one. A tweener if you will. Sissons and aberg are still more than a year away IMO. I am not worried about our D. I like it. I like the top pair, I like what I can see out of E/jones and can see that as an awesome pair, and I like what Ellis and Klein bring at ES as well as what they do with their respectice special team jobs.

4. If I were GM, I would deem Watson a top 9 center. I would resign Legwand for 2 yrs/5mil per or 3yr 4.5 million. (and before the pitchforks come out, Weiss got 4.9 for less than what Legwand brings) If he hits the open market, he will get 5.5-6 on a short deal. I would then turn around and trade Cullen for a low 1st. AKA to a contender. I would bring Watson up immediately. I also trade Bourque for whatever I can get for him. a 3rd? 4th? I like Becks size for than GB speed. However this does 2 things, we get much slower as a team minus 7 and 57. But we also get much, much bigger. I would also try to get something for Clune or Hendricks, but the reality is, Clune probably gets waived.

5. At the draft, you draft the 2 BFA, not BPA and hope 2-3 years down, they develop into 1st line talent. (this is with our pick and the Cullen pick.)

you roll next years D and G just like this year, and our F corp is a bigger group.

Wilson-Fisher-Hornquist
Smith-Watson-Stalberg
Beck-Legwand-Forsberg
Spaling is super utility player/scratch/player who plays when motivating a top 9er.
Clune is waived.

In stock we would have 4 potential top 6 Forwards in the 2 forward draft picks, Sissons, and Aberg. Also have bottom 6 options like Salomaki

Her name is Clare Austin & she writes for Raw Charge, a TBL blog

wentz22

Nov 21, 2013

Wilson-Fisher-Forsberg
Smith-Legwand-Hornqvist
Beck-Watson-Stalberg
Clune is waived.

Forsberg needs to play in a top 3 role, at worst top 6. Stalberg doesn't look like he can crack the top 6 either. And Watson needs to be 3rd line C, 2nd line would most likely be to much for him in his first season.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
Heck with it, i'm playing GM like it's NHL'14.

1. Ship Weber off to Edmonton for RNH, Nurse, and the Oil's 1st this year.

2. Ship off Leggy to the first contender that will give us a 1st.

3. With 3 first round picks, bundle our pick and Edmonton's 1st (or our other 1st) to go and get Sam Reinhardt.

4. Use Weber's cash savings to sign a vet defender like Dan Girardi or something like that.

By 2015-16, my rebuild is complete:

Wilson-Reinhardt-Hornqvist
Forsberg-RNH-Smith
Stalberg-Watson-Bourque
Nystrom/Clune/Hendricks/Gaustad/Who Cares

Jones - Josi
Klein - Vet Defender
Nurse - Ellis/Diaby/Ekholm

Pekka
Hellberg/Mazanec

BOS77

Jul 17, 2011
Nova Scotia
I won't trade anyone fire the coach, take the time needed to get the right one and then see how your players preform, i think there would be a few surprises.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

3. With 3 first round picks, bundle our pick and Edmonton's 1st (or our other 1st) to go and get Sam Reinhardt.

4. Use Weber's cash savings to sign a vet defender like Dan Girardi or something like that.

Forsberg-RNH-Smith
Stalberg-Watson-Bourque

Jones - Josi
Klein - Vet Defender

Pekka
Hellberg/Mazanec

This the only way I can see the situation fixed quick as well. It would make the team more competitive long term. There will still be a struggle with that 3rd line but its sure a step forward with the first two lines and could be the first time the team had a legit top line in a few years. The defense takes a little hit next year but would be fine long term.

If Weber stays next season could be a repeat of this one and another year where a defenseman leads the team in scoring. I can remember no team in history where a defenseman lead a team to the cup. Defensive contributions to scoring are great. But this organization has came to rely on it too often. TAke a look at the box scores for the past two season and notice the number of shots from the perimeter by defensemen. The scoring percentage from these shots is far less than playmaking forwards. This team has not had the latter and depend on the big boom of Weber Josi even KK as the first option, it has further trickled down to the forwards. There is a reason Horni has been successful in front of the net yet struggles in the slot area.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
This the only way I can see the situation fixed quick as well. It would make the team more competitive long term. There will still be a struggle with that 3rd line but its sure a step forward with the first two lines and could be the first time the team had a legit top line in a few years. The defense takes a little hit next year but would be fine long term.

If Weber stays next season could be a repeat of this one and another year where a defenseman leads the team in scoring. I can remember no team in history where a defenseman lead a team to the cup. Defensive contributions to scoring are great. But this organization has came to rely on it too often. TAke a look at the box scores for the past two season and notice the number of shots from the perimeter by defensemen. The scoring percentage from these shots is far less than playmaking forwards. This team has not had the latter and depend on the big boom of Weber Josi even KK as the first option, it has further trickled down to the forwards. There is a reason Horni has been successful in front of the net yet struggles in the slot area.

Bobby Orr, Nicklas Lidstrom, Scott Niedermayer

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Forsberg needs to play in a top 3 role, at worst top 6. Stalberg doesn't look like he can crack the top 6 either. And Watson needs to be 3rd line C, 2nd line would most likely be to much for him in his first season.

thanks for the feedback. However you put too much stock in what order the lines in. I was trying to match strengths of each player in a line.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
If you want to rebuild you have to get a GM willing to move redundant pieces or pieces that don't fit into our future. With that said, Poile needs to be replaced and in doing so, the new GM will want his stamp on the coaching position as well so Trotz is gone. The other reason Trotz is gone is all of the players he wants on the team could be jettisoned by the new GM.

Once a new GM is in place, look at the roster and decide who is part of the future and who we need to part with. We've got three aging centers that will garner us some nice draft picks in Legwand, Fisher and Cullen. I wouldn't be opposed to keeping one of them for the time being but we should be able to land a few firsts and/or seconds for these guys. I'd get rid of the albatross contracts of Gaustad, Nystrom and Hendricks in a heartbeat. Even if it means receiving low round picks for these guys, so be it, it opens up cap and roster space. Gaustad should fetch a 3rd at worst as he's a valuable commodity in the dot.

Doesn't leave much of a roster now does it. If we do any or more likely, most of those moves, Weber would likely ask to be moved privately. The new GM then can put his stamp on this team. Acquire either a top 3 center like Backstrom or Duchesne or find a team willing to part with two top 6 forwards and a few 1st round picks. That should help the forward corps dramatically. Maybe a Schenn and either Vorachek or Couts. I'd move one of Wilson or Smith back to center and let them assume the role of the second line center, depending on whom we acquire via the Weber trade. Spaling as the number 3 and bring Watson up to be the 4th line center and let him grow with the team. In time he should supplant Spaling as the number 3 and they effectively switch spots. If we acquire multiple guys in a Weber trade we have Forsberg, Smith, Hornqvist and the player acquired via the trade as our top 6 wingers to go with the center we've acquired and Wilson as the centers, or Smith is the center and Wilson is on the wing. Bourque can stay and play wing with Spaling. If we're feeling saucy play Stalberg on the other wing. If not, bring up Beck and give him some time with the big club. If we want, we can hold on to Nystrom and let him play on the 4th line with Watson and Clune. If any of the other kids in Milwaukee make enough noise and want to join the party here in Nashville, so be it. If we suck for the rest of the year, we should have a lottery pick to add to the talent we have plus we should have a bunch of other high round picks to help fill out some depth and maybe we get lucky on a risk player.

We still have a good yet young blue line if we unload Weber but if it gets us moving in the right direction again, so be it.

First and foremost though, the architects of this team have to be removed for a renovating squad to come in and redo the team from the ground up.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
If we do any or more likely, most of those moves, Weber would likely ask to be moved privately.

Unfortunately, I think this is only a matter of time.

Prince Valium never struck me as a guy too enthused to be Mr. Predator. I know all the rhetoric about how "if he didn't want to be in Nashville he wouldn't have signed the offer sheet yadda yadda yadda". I don't believe it one bit.

Weber and his agent have never been shy about doing things in public, so I have no doubt that it will get out if/when he wants out - and then we lose leverage.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
If you want to rebuild you have to get a GM willing to move redundant pieces or pieces that don't fit into our future. With that said, Poile needs to be replaced and in doing so, the new GM will want his stamp on the coaching position as well so Trotz is gone. The other reason Trotz is gone is all of the players he wants on the team could be jettisoned by the new GM.

Once a new GM is in place, look at the roster and decide who is part of the future and who we need to part with. We've got three aging centers that will garner us some nice draft picks in Legwand, Fisher and Cullen. I wouldn't be opposed to keeping one of them for the time being but we should be able to land a few firsts and/or seconds for these guys. I'd get rid of the albatross contracts of Gaustad, Nystrom and Hendricks in a heartbeat. Even if it means receiving low round picks for these guys, so be it, it opens up cap and roster space. Gaustad should fetch a 3rd at worst as he's a valuable commodity in the dot.

Doesn't leave much of a roster now does it. If we do any or more likely, most of those moves, Weber would likely ask to be moved privately. The new GM then can put his stamp on this team. Acquire either a top 3 center like Backstrom or Duchesne or find a team willing to part with two top 6 forwards and a few 1st round picks. That should help the forward corps dramatically. Maybe a Schenn and either Vorachek or Couts. I'd move one of Wilson or Smith back to center and let them assume the role of the second line center, depending on whom we acquire via the Weber trade. Spaling as the number 3 and bring Watson up to be the 4th line center and let him grow with the team. In time he should supplant Spaling as the number 3 and they effectively switch spots. If we acquire multiple guys in a Weber trade we have Forsberg, Smith, Hornqvist and the player acquired via the trade as our top 6 wingers to go with the center we've acquired and Wilson as the centers, or Smith is the center and Wilson is on the wing. Bourque can stay and play wing with Spaling. If we're feeling saucy play Stalberg on the other wing. If not, bring up Beck and give him some time with the big club. If we want, we can hold on to Nystrom and let him play on the 4th line with Watson and Clune. If any of the other kids in Milwaukee make enough noise and want to join the party here in Nashville, so be it. If we suck for the rest of the year, we should have a lottery pick to add to the talent we have plus we should have a bunch of other high round picks to help fill out some depth and maybe we get lucky on a risk player.

We still have a good yet young blue line if we unload Weber but if it gets us moving in the right direction again, so be it.

First and foremost though, the architects of this team have to be removed for a renovating squad to come in and redo the team from the ground up.

Curious on why you want to hold to Spaling? I'm kinda ok with it but he would be my 4th line center and the big man Watson would be 3.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Unfortunately, I think this is only a matter of time.

Prince Valium never struck me as a guy too enthused to be Mr. Predator. I know all the rhetoric about how "if he didn't want to be in Nashville he wouldn't have signed the offer sheet yadda yadda yadda". I don't believe it one bit.

Weber and his agent have never been shy about doing things in public, so I have no doubt that it will get out if/when he wants out - and then we lose leverage.

Bet we don't get anything for Legwand either. He probably stays he loves wearing his ski mask to work and getting away with it.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Curious on why you want to hold to Spaling? I'm kinda ok with it but he would be my 4th line center and the big man Watson would be 3.

Let Watson learn the game. No need to rush him. Spaling is as productive as the other grinders on the team, actually more productive and is on a better contract. He's also one of ours, not someone we brought in. While he's not a sexy player or exciting or does anything great, he's a solid two way hockey player and at the end of the day, you still need guys like him to win games, not a roster full of them. He's one of the few guys that's been somewhat consistent this year. He doesn't have a ton of highs or lows to his game. He just goes out and plays the game. He's a good third line type that is a great team guy. To me he's like the forward version of Klein, quiet, understated but gets the job done more often than not. He's also better with the puck than any of Gaustad, Nystrom or Hendricks, all of whom I'd like to jettison as soon as possible.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville

Forsberg-RNH-Smith
Stalberg-Watson-Bourque

Jones - Josi
Klein - Vet Defender

Pekka
Hellberg/Mazanec

This team would be worse than the one we have iced right now. Maybe more exciting but worse none the less. I guess if we wanted to go after Mcdavid then by all means this is what we should do.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Let Watson learn the game. No need to rush him. Spaling is as productive as the other grinders on the team, actually more productive and is on a better contract. He's also one of ours, not someone we brought in. While he's not a sexy player or exciting or does anything great, he's a solid two way hockey player and at the end of the day, you still need guys like him to win games, not a roster full of them. He's one of the few guys that's been somewhat consistent this year. He doesn't have a ton of highs or lows to his game. He just goes out and plays the game. He's a good third line type that is a great team guy. To me he's like the forward version of Klein, quiet, understated but gets the job done more often than not. He's also better with the puck than any of Gaustad, Nystrom or Hendricks, all of whom I'd like to jettison as soon as possible.

I can see what you are saying and i agree. I personally would like to see a team good enough where Spaling is a solid kick ass 4th line center and someone to take a lot of time on the PK to rest the center on upper lines.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I can see what you are saying and i agree. I personally would like to see a team good enough where Spaling is a solid kick ass 4th line center and someone to take a lot of time on the PK to rest the center on upper lines.

And that works fine too. I see him splitting time between the 3rd and 4th line. He's good on the PK.

I'll tell you something else why I like him. I saw him take a monster back breaking hit in a preseason game when he was first coming up. I was like, ouch, there is no way he's coming back out for the rest of the game. Next shift, he was out there. Klein is the same way. I've seen him go into the boards weird, looking like he's broken an ankle or some other crazy stuff and he's back out on the next shift. It's guys like this that are great to have on a team because all they want to do is get back out on the ice for their next shift and play hockey. It's about the team to them. While Spaling and Klein aren't spectacular, they are key cogs that you need to build a winner.

I think Watson could turn in to another Fisher in time and honestly, that means a great third line center with grit who can sometimes play the second line if need be. Once again, a good guy to have on the team to build around.

I really feel if we got rid of a lot of the redundancy of players that we have, added two quality top 6 guys to the young guys we have on the team, we're not that far off. Problem is, where do you get top 6 guys and who do you give up?

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
Did we not rebuild the D this year, or have I been watching some other team that has been icing 3 rookies on the blue-line?

Why in the world would you think what we're seeing up-front is GMDPs plan to rebuild the Fs? It's a stopgap to give some space to Wilson and Smith, and next year FF and hopefully 1 or 2 more from Milw, then add an FA or 2 when we have a mature D and the OLD Cs are gone. (cause, c'mon, we saw those kids last year - not a one was ready to play this year except MAYBE Beck)

A 3yr rebuild while hoping to stay competitive for the last 2 PO spots, rather than just completely stinking up the joint. If Peks doesn't go down you know - as bad as we've been on O - we're right behind MIN cause surely he'd have won a few these not-ready-for-prime-time backups have just bombed on, and the start to the rebuild looks pretty good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad