Rebuild the Sabres in one offseason

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
This isn't really roster speculation as much as it is a fantasy scenario, so I figured I'd give it its own thread. Mods, feel free to merge with roster spec. if deemed appropriate.

The offseason is boring.

You're Tim Murray. Terry Pegula, fed up with the Sabres' losing ways, demands Murray builds a roster that can sneak into the playoffs in 2014-15. McDavid and Eichel mean nothing to him. Your job is on the line.

You've got a boatload of cap space, but you're coming off one of the worst seasons in league history. As such, try and keep UFA signings somewhat realistic.

Build away.

ZeroPT*

Trade 2nd overall for legit pieces.
Trade prospects for legit pieces.
Sign like, 4 free agents (EX:Nikitin,Bolland,Winnik,Miller)

Something like that.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Trade 2014 #2 overall, Hodgson, Armia and Weber for Eric Staal
Trade Myers, Grigorenko, 2015 1st rounder, Conacher for Ryan Oreilly
Trade Stewart, Flynn, 2014 2nd rounder for Zach Smith
Give Stastny 7 yrs / 8 million per
Give Callahan 6 yrs / 6.5 million per
Give Nikitin 5 yrs / 4.5 million per
Give B.Boyle 4 years / 3 million per
Give Meszjaros 3 years / 4 million per
Give Tallinder 1 year / 2.5 million per

Ennis(3.25)-Staal(8.25)-Callahan(6.5)
Girgensons(.895)-Stastny(8.0)-O'reilly(6.5)
Larsson(.765)-Z.Smith(1.9)-Stafford(4.0)
Foligno(.950)-Boyle(3.0)-Kaleta(1.25)
x Deslauriers(.650), Mitchell(1.9)

Ehrhoff(4.0)-Ristolainen(.925)
Nikitin(4.5)-Pysyk(.870)
Meszjaros(4.0)-Tallinder(2.5)
x Ruhwedel(.925), McCabe(.925)

Enroth(1.25)
Neuvirth(2.5)

Last edited:

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
can't....

you'd never be able to bring in 15 different guys to make the team competitive. Remember, every player on the Sabres (that finished the year with them that is) played at least a line over their heads, most 2-3 lines over. 3 waiver wire pick-ups played consistent minutes. At one time we had 4 teenagers on the team.

Stafford, Ennis, Hodgson, Stewart are the only forwards that SHOULD be on an NHL team....(Girgeson, Foligno, Flynn should be in the AHL or lesser leagues)

Ehrhoff and Myers are the only legit defenders. Weber, McBain, and Sulzer are marginal defenders at best....Risto, Pysyk, Rudhuel and McCabe all should be playing in lesser leagues and developing.

So you'd need to bring in 4 defenders, a top goalie, and 8 forwards.....no way.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
Draft Reinhart with #2
Trade Grigo and Pysyk and our 2nd to Carolina for pick #7 this year, draft Ritchie
Trade Ehrhoff to Ottawa for Puempel and Hoffman
Sign Stastny in FA
Sign Callahan in FA
Sign Orpik
Resign Tallinder

Ennis- Stastny-stafford
Puempel-Reinhart-Hodgson
Stewart-Girgensens-Callahan
Des Lauriers-Hoffman-Kaleta

Zad/Myers
Orpik/Risto
Tallinder, Weber and McBain are your bottom 3

I didn't use Foligno or Ritchie. They say Ritchie may be NHL ready. If so then ship Foligno and Ennis somewher for a Dman instead of McBain.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
So you'd need to bring in 4 defenders, a top goalie, and 8 forwards.....no way.

Totally possible. We absolutely have the quantity of assets to do it.

Turn 2nd overall into a 2-3 mid-level guys in their early 30s from a team that wants to enter a rebuild.
2015 first for another vet forward.
Girgensons for a vet defender.
Ristolainen for x
Zadorov for y
Package Compher and Fasching together for something
Sign Ryan Miller or Hiller or Halak
etc etc etc

I think the premise of the thread was we abandon the rebuild entirely, forget winning cups, go for a short term playoff berth. Totally possible with all the futures we've stockpiled.

rtfirefly

Nov 13, 2013
Totally possible. We absolutely have the quantity of assets to do it.

Turn 2nd overall into a 2-3 mid-level guys in their early 30s from a team that wants to enter a rebuild.
2015 first for another vet forward.
Girgensons for a vet defender.
Ristolainen for x
Zadorov for y
Package Compher and Fasching together for something
Sign Ryan Miller or Hiller or Halak
etc etc etc

I think the premise of the thread was we abandon the rebuild entirely, forget winning cups, go for a short term playoff berth. Totally possible with all the futures we've stockpiled.

The second (inevitable) stage of this plan is to either make the heroic run for ninth or get beaten in the first round of the playoffs, then have to begin a rebuild from scratch all over again, though this time without the draft picks and assets necessary to have any chance at improving long term.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
The second (inevitable) stage of this plan is to either make the heroic run for ninth or get beaten in the first round of the playoffs, then have to begin a rebuild from scratch all over again, though this time without the draft picks and assets necessary to have any chance at improving long term.

Yup.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
ok, I'll play along then....

1. 2nd and Risto to Washington for Ovie....Before the draft and START OF FA period because......

2. Sign Stastny to center Ovie. That's a nice pitch to a FA: "you'll be setting up Ovie!"

3. Sign Jagr as a FA. Once you have Ovie in the mix, it would be a destination.

4. Sign Winnik. Can't win without a solid bottom 6.

5. Sign Brian Boyle. See #4.

6. Pitch for Iginla????

7. Mike Cammaleri?????

8. Trade Ennis or Hodgson for 3/4 dman????

9. Trade one of Stewart or Stafford for 3/4 dman?????

10. See where we are with cap space and if we have enough put a boatload of money at O'Reily??????

And that really doesn't empty the cupboard.....doesn't help it but still would have most of the kids.

timnsr72

Jul 5, 2009
Rochester NY
Like many above have stated it is possible, but after one or two years of making the playoffs & happy fans we would have to start a longer more painful rebuild than this one.

TossinSauce

Dec 16, 2013
Upstate NY

Nikitin(4.5)-Pysyk(.870)

Enroth(1.25)
Neuvirth(2.5)

This would actually be pretty awesome.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Nikitin(4.5)-Pysyk(.870)

Enroth(1.25)
Neuvirth(2.5)

You know you're in a tough place with your franchise if you go all out and the result is a team that wouldn't be a sure bet to make the playoffs.... :laugh: :cry:

buffalocupcrazy*

if you started your proposal with anything other than "draft reinhart/bennett" you're already wrong

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
it's ludicrous. giving up that package for Eric Staal? no freaking way

display.php

buffalocupcrazy*

I don't think you understand the question.

no I do, the rebuild starts and ends with the next two drafts. if you think otherwise, you don't pay close enough attention to the NHL and how teams become cup winners

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
no I do, the rebuild starts and ends with the next two drafts. if you think otherwise, you don't pay close enough attention to the NHL and how teams become cup winners

This comment makes it clear you don't understand the premise. The premise of this thread is making a team that is competitive next year. No one here is advocating actually doing that. Perhaps 1 or 2 people on this entire board would advise doing that.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I didn't think adding an "I'm not advocating forgoing the rebuild" disclaimer was really necessary.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
This comment makes it clear you don't understand the premise. The premise of this thread is making a team that is competitive next year. No one here is advocating actually doing that. Perhaps 1 or 2 people on this entire board would advise doing that.

I understand that using the 2nd overall to trade for an accomplished "star" would be the more obvious way to turn this team into a playoff team immediately, but adding a player of Bennett/Reinhart's caliber could be just as important to the present as it is the future.

For example:

Draft Bennett
Sign Stastny, Callahan, Ott

Ennis - Stastny - Callahan
Hodgson - Girgensons - Stewart
Ott - Bennett - Stafford
Foligno - Larsson - Flynn

Obviously more moves would need to be made but adding Bennett/Reinhart to the free agent signings could make a significant impact without giving up other valuable assets.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
This isn't really roster speculation as much as it is a fantasy scenario, so I figured I'd give it its own thread. Mods, feel free to merge with roster spec. if deemed appropriate.

The offseason is boring.

You're Tim Murray. Terry Pegula, fed up with the Sabres' losing ways, demands Murray builds a roster that can sneak into the playoffs in 2014-15. McDavid and Eichel mean nothing to him. Your job is on the line.

You've got a boatload of cap space, but you're coming off one of the worst seasons in league history. As such, try and keep UFA signings somewhat realistic.

Build away.

Sometimes reading the OP is helpful.

IMLACHnME

Dec 27, 2013
GTA
Sabres' Summer Rebuild

Just to be clear, the objective here is to rebuild the Sabres this summer into a team capable of legitimately contending for a playoff spot in 2014-15? If so, here goes.

First you create a first line with free agents:

Michalek – Stastny – Setoguchi

Then, the second line looks like this:

Hodgson – Ennis – Stewart

That puts the following trio on the third line:

Foligno – Girgensons – Stafford

Finally, this would be the fourth line:

Deslauriers – Larsson – Flynn

Those lines are based on the assumption that the young man chosen second overall in the Entry Draft this summer does not wow his way into the lineup. If that does happen, the chances of producing enough offense to challenge for a playoff spot improve.

On the blueline, there would be these three pairs:

Myers – Greene

Ehrhoff – Pysyk

Ristolainen – Engelland

Enroth and Neuvirth would compete for top spot in the net

With the lineup above, and Ted Nolan in charge right from the start, I do think that the Sabres could contend for a playoff spot.

Yes, there are UFAs better than the three listed, but I can not foresee any of those better ones signing with the Sabres this summer. I've listed UFAs who I'm assuming could be enticed to come to Buffalo with a generous enough offer.

Can one of the resident capologists provide a rough estimate of what the lineup above would cost the Sabres in salary?

Last edited:

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Just to be clear, the objective here is to rebuild the Sabres this summer into a team capable of legitimately contending for a playoff spot in 2014-15? If so, here goes.

First you create a first line with free agents:

Michalek – Stastny – Setoguchi

Then, the second line looks like this:

Hodgson – Ennis – Stewart

That puts the following trio on the third line:

Foligno – Girgensons – Stafford

Finally, this would be the fourth line:

Deslauriers – Larsson – Flynn

Those lines are based on the assumption that the young man chosen second overall in the Entry Draft this summer does not wow his way into the lineup. If that does happen, the chances of producing enough offense to challenge for a playoff spot improve.

On the blueline, there would be these three pairs:

Myers – Greene

Ehrhoff – Pysyk

Ristolainen – Engelland

Enroth and Neuvirth would compete for top spot in the net

With the lineup above, and Ted Nolan in charge right from the start, I do think that the Sabres could contend for a playoff spot.

Yes, there are UFAs better than the three listed, but I can not foresee any of those better ones signing with the Sabres this summer. I've listed UFAs who I'm assuming could be enticed to come to Buffalo with a generous enough offer.

Can one of the resident capologists provide a rough estimate of what the lineup above would cost the Sabres in salary?

Sort of unrelated, but you seem to have a major mancrush on Derek Engelland. I'm sure you've explained it before (vaguely around the lines of not needing Scott anymore I believe?), but could you care to explain it again?

IMLACHnME

Dec 27, 2013
GTA
Sort of unrelated, but you seem to have a major mancrush on Derek Engelland. I'm sure you've explained it before (vaguely around the lines of not needing Scott anymore I believe?), but could you care to explain it again?

You've basically got it. Bring in Engelland, put him on the third pair - in place of Weber - and he can do the dirty work John Scott would do. Scott may be more intimidating, but if he is not going to play every game - which Engelland would do - and is going to attract ridiculous penalties when he does play, Engelland is better for the job of policeman. Of course, if Engelland did come to Buffalo, and found himself attracting penalties he didn't normally, we would know what we see with Scott is no coincidence.

Engelland is older than Weber, but - somehow - he earns significantly less, and - presumably - could be signed this summer for less than Weber is earning. Weber is willing to do the dirty work, but I prefer Engelland.

Add Engelland and Matt Greene this summer, and opposing forwards would have something to think about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad