Reasons of pathetic PK

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
My take: poor rotation and communication. There are way too many times where guys are slow to recover or get out when they should. They don't move fluidly as a group. The scheme and their movements look very clunky and unnatural. PK, or man down as we call it in lacrosse, should be very fluid. I'm not seeing that from our PK.

Liberati0n*

PK still remaining brutal.
No improvement at all :(.
Al Koken is really pissing me off. Every time he asks Calle some garbage questions instead of straight one "what's wrong with our PK?"

Yeah, the "Legal Sea Foods Bite of the Night" is the forum for legitimate questions like that.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
#Caps Oates on what they need to improve on down the stretch "Obviously, I think we got to improve our penalty killing, a lot."

Let's see what he does.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Someone harassing the opposing points is a pk that I've seen been successful. That skater has to be fast and mobile. Creating the chance for a short handed goal should always be a threat.

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
nothing has changed...
I have no idea why PK can not be coached well... it doesn't need sparks of tremendous talent. it can be and should be coached.

Burakovsky95*

Laich out hurts. Other than that I don't really have any answers. We've been a tad unlucky and I've always preferred a more aggressive PK and ours seems to be half and half.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Laich has been a key player on some horrible PKs in the past, so I'm not sure about this current deification of his. But I'll let someone post the stats that show that he's great on the PK.

Burakovsky95*

I think it's more Laich's replacements are bad than Laich is good

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Goaltending and slack mentality. Trotz wants to "dog the puck", the players want to glide around and strike poses, hoping for an easy shot block.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Strike a pose, how vogue

I have long felt goaltender play is huge not only on the PK, but all game long.

More than a single skater, it's more the system IMHO.

Are we happy with the approach under Barry? I havent seen enough to say.

I remember early BB years, our PK was as passive as could be, and it stunk. Year 3 IIRC we went aggressive, and it was remarkably improved with largely the same cast.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Easy.

Rolling with young goalies (or average vets) like we have for the past 8 years.

Young goalies are going to be inconsistent. Varlamov, Neuvirth, Holtby, Grubauer with some marginal vets sprinkled in old Kolzig, Theodore, Huet and Halak.

I don't look for a goalie to achieve consistentcy until his later 20s.

At some point we have to just stick with the young goalie and let him work it out. That or go out and get a top flight proven vet.

We've been outgoaltended in most all of our playoff series. We've been outgoaltended badly this year. Part of the growing pains.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I think you mean Vokoun, not Halak.

Him too. Good catch. We all had concerns about Vokoun and his "being a good goalie on a bad team" thing. We knew Theodore sucked.

Fact is we haven't had a real consistent goalie since Kolzig. Kolzig was VERY inconsistent from 94-97. I think he was drafted in 89 and didn't really get a big shot til the 94-95 season. Thats the season where Kolzig and Dafoe started and neither could win a game. Carey came in and took the league by storm. Caps traded Dafoe and kept Kolzig as back up for the next few years.

Kolzig did not become who he was until he reached 27 years old.

Lehtonen was wildly inconsistnet (he was a high draft pick) and didn't settle down til 2010 with the Stars. He was about 27 too.

Hasek didn't become the dominator until 1993 (he spent a few years in the IHL and with the Hawks and Sabres backing up Fuhr). He was about 28

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Him too. Good catch. We all had concerns about Vokoun and his "being a good goalie on a bad team" thing. We knew Theodore sucked.

Fact is we haven't had a real consistent goalie since Kolzig. Kolzig was VERY inconsistent from 94-97. I think he was drafted in 89 and didn't really get a big shot til the 94-95 season. Thats the season where Kolzig and Dafoe started and neither could win a game. Carey came in and took the league by storm. Caps traded Dafoe and kept Kolzig as back up for the next few years.

Kolzig did not become who he was until he reached 27 years old.

Lehtonen was wildly inconsistnet (he was a high draft pick) and didn't settle down til 2010 with the Stars. He was about 27 too.

Hasek didn't become the dominator until 1993 (he spent a few years in the IHL and with the Hawks and Sabres backing up Fuhr). He was about 28

Ya, goalies don't seem to hit their stride till they are in their late 20s.

Our young goalies have been woefully inconsistent. They'll play a few good games and then string together some awful games. This has got to drive coaches mad.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Ya, goalies don't seem to hit their stride till they are in their late 20s.

Our young goalies have been woefully inconsistent. They'll play a few good games and then string together some awful games. This has got to drive coaches mad.

Yep. This is the crux of the issue. Young goalies most often are going to be very inconsistent. Holtby has looked like swiss cheese at times and impenetrable at other times. There are tremendous peaks and valleys there. Varlamov and Neuvirth were no different.

I think Holtby is a .92 sv pctg goalie. He will be consistently one day. But we have to stick with him in order for him to get there.

You always go back to McPhee...the way he built the team. From the Forwards, to the D to the G.

I said it at the time and will repeat it now. Simply dumb. Goalies take the longest to develop. Dmen the 2nd longest. Then forwards who can make impacts fairly quick.

We did it completely backwards. Now our forwards are at their primes (with a few exceptions) while our Dmen (Carlzner, Orlov, Schmidt) and starting goalie are still learning.

BMac did good by finally stabalizing the D and you can't blame him with sticking with Holtby. Thats the hand he was dealt.

We already gave up on one Vezina finalist in order to bring aboard a questionable vet (other factors were there too but still)

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
I have read an interview with Varly (don't remember a source), and he told he was really upset for not giving him a chance in that series against Tampa. "I felt that i can give a chance to the team to save that series, but i was denied the thrust even when the team lost three games in a row". That's why he asked for a trade threatening to bolt to the KHL. We couldn't blame Neuvy in that series but he hasn't made crazy saves to shake the team up. BB lost the team and did nothing to make a turning point even in the 4th game.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I have read an interview with Varly (don't remember a source), and he told he was really upset for not giving him a chance in that series against Tampa. "I felt that i can give a chance to the team to save that series, but i was denied the thrust even when the team lost three games in a row". That's why he asked for a trade threatening to bolt to the KHL. We couldn't blame Neuvy in that series but he hasn't made crazy saves to shake the team up. BB lost the team and did nothing to make a turning point even in the 4th game.

AHAH!!

I always contended this! He should have started game 3 of that series.

Varlamov was BEAST against Tampa that year and in his career I believe. Neuvirth was getting badly outgoaltended (he wasn't horrible but Roloson was awesome).

I still contend that THIS decision is what ultimately led to BB getting fired. He stuck with certain guys like Flash and Neuvirth for too long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad