Line Combos: Reality of using Kassian in on the 1st line...

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Is absolutely frightening.

What's even worse? Him on the 2nd line.

Going to be a rough season.

He had some chemistry with the Sedins, although that's not hard to find for most players. He's more of a playmaker, puck possession, and board battler anyways and could do well on the second line complimenting Kesler's abilities. Just need consistency and effort.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
He's had another off-season to prepare. He might just have that breakout season we've all being hoping for.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Remember hearing last year during the Kings playoff run that Dustin (pancake) Penner could only play about 60% of the shifts with his line.

So Kassian isn't the only big guy that is limited by his cardio, let's just hope he's a little better at getting it under control than Dustin...

Last edited:

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Remember hearing last year during the Kings playoff run that Dustin (pancake) Penner could only play about 60% of the shifts with his line.

So Kassian isn't the only big buy that is limited by his cardio, let's just hope he's a little better at getting it under control than Dustin...

It's always easier when you aren't lugging around an extra 20-30 lbs. in your gut. Speaking from experience.

And thanks for the insightful thread, OP. Your logic is absolutely...absent. Show your work.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

In the cap era, teams have to entrust rookies with greater responsibility. This is no different. Look around the league at the amount of young players in the same position. Some were given a chance before they had earned it.

The Canucks are actually very conservative with how they employ their youth.

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
I think he compliments the Sedins game rather well. He's very good along the boards, with some decent passing ability to boot. He certainly had success in the short time he was with them.

My only concern is when they don't have the puck. Burrows is usually the guy that gets the puck to start the whole thing, along with being a good back checker.

It all come down to Kassians cardio. If he can keep up with the twins without fading, then I think he'll be very effective.

Also I noticed that the twins seem to play a more physical game when Kassian is on their line. It's very noticeable when the twins are throwing hits haha. *

rune74

Oct 10, 2008

I'm not even sure why I am responding to this weak and little effort post you made.

You didn't give one reason it was bad or anything at all really. It was like a troll post.

King of the ES*

I'll believe it when I see it, personally. He's done nothing at all to earn that spot, and it just doesn't make any sense to me to remove Burrows from that duo. Torts could well just be saying these "he's going to be playing with the Sedin's" things to motivate Zack in the off-season.

I'd think that he probably makes the most sense on line 3 with Schroeder and Hansen.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think he compliments the Sedins game rather well. He's very good along the boards, with some decent passing ability to boot. He certainly had success in the short time he was with them.

My only concern is when they don't have the puck. Burrows is usually the guy that gets the puck to start the whole thing, along with being a good back checker.

It all come down to Kassians cardio. If he can keep up with the twins without fading, then I think he'll be very effective.

I don't think playing with the Sedins is that demanding on a player's conditioning (Anson Carter had an easy time). The Sedins are usually the ones digging the puck out of the corners and they usually dump the puck in slowly. Kassian can pretty much float around. Kassian just needs to be smart enough to be where he needs to be and recognize when he needs to go in and help out the Sedins. Otherwise Kassian's job is to get open and be prepared to receive a pass. The time when Kassian's conditioning would come into play is when the Sedins have lost the puck and Kassian is the guy forechecking and applying pressure. But in the grand scheme of things, the Sedins hardly relied on Burrows to "[get] the puck and start the whole thing." And with a new coach things might look quite different from what we are use to seeing.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
he's brutal in his own zone. that's a pretty good reason already

That seems a bit premature given his age. Given his ample skill set, it makes sense to invest some time to get Kassian some on the job training. Playing well defensively is generally thought of as something a player can learn.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Wow, what a thought provoking argument...

He has another year under his belt, he's been working out like crazy this off-season, I want to see how he does in a few games before saying that he'll be a nightmare in the top 6 this upcoming season.
Guess what, he's only 22 years old. He's still improving, and now he has a head coach that will give young players chances to succeed. He's not going to develop if we use the AV strategy of keeping him on the 4th line.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
That seems a bit premature given his age. Given his ample skill set, it makes sense to invest some time to get Kassian some on the job training. Playing well defensively is generally thought of as something a player can learn.

sure, he could very well improve and not be a liability. but until he proves otherwise then I think it's fair to label him as a player who is awful in his own end

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
I think Kassian could do well on the PP with the Sedins. I just don't think he has shown enough ability to skate back hard and play defense to warrant playing on the first line.

I fully expect Burrows to be first line winger, and Kassian paying his dues on the third line. Once Kassian learns to play at both ends of the ice, he will be our first line right winger. :yo:

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
OP is clearly Aware. Kassian will have as much success with the sedins as Lunatic does running up a flight of stairs.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

So Kassian isn't the only big guy that is limited by his cardio, let's just hope he's a little better at getting it under control than Dustin...

I honestly wouldn't mind Kassian playing with the Sedins only part of the time, and limit his TOI unless he shows capable of playing Sedin-like minutes.

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver

Do you know what's frightening? Threads like this. The season hasn't even started yet. Let's wait to see how much Torts motivates him.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I disagree strongly with this sentiment.

Those who are pencilling Kassian in as a top 6 forward are not pencilling in the Kassian of 12/13, they are pencilling in the Kassian of 13/14. By this I mean we are expecting a dramatic step forward both in terms of play and production. I don't think this is to unrealistic to expect, it is a common trend for young players to make dramatic strides in their development in their early to mid twenties.

To me Kassian has shown flashes of his potential, which is clearly that of a top 6 forward. I hope this is the year that he breaks out, playing with the Sedins would certainly help influence that.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Zach has been doing tons of power work this summer on one leg (training one leg at a time lets you put more effort on the leg with less weight over all) and is on a much cleaner diet. Should be interesting how he what that means for his conditioning and skating!

I'm excited!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad