Realistically, If You were the GM, WHO WOULD YOU SELECT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Safir*

Since the Sens host the draft I see them making some moves. I would love to have Bourret or Bergfors in a Sens jersey at the end of the draft.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
As a Leaf fan I would love to see Bergfors, and I also wish Benoit Pouliot drops down around where the Leafs select highly unlikely but I can wish. :D

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Kubera55 said:
If the Rangers are at No.6 again, I actually would advocate moving up for Johnson.

Assuming the Rangers are at No.6, and everyone else follows their 2004 draft spot, that would put the defense rich Chicago Blackhawks at No.3. A very likely spot for Johnson to go, and Chicago really doesn't need him with Babchuk, Seabrook, and Barker all already in the system.

I'd probably offer up one of the Rangers trio of goaltenders (Blackburn being the obvious choice) with sweateners and the No.6 pick, conditional on Johnson still being there at No.3.

Something like:

NYR gets:
No.3 Overall (Johnson)

CHI gets:
No.6 Overall
Blackburn
PHI 2nd Round Pick (Acquired last year at the deadline for Malakhov)

I hate to give up on Blackburn, but with his injury and waiver elgibility issues, he's a huge gamble that the Rangers don't need to be focusing on. Chicago seems like a better destination for him, and if he comes back, the deal would be a slam dunk for Chicago.

Chicago doesnt need anymore goaltenders. Anderson, Leighton, and Crawford all have starting potential. Its going to take more than a prospect NYR have no use for to move up. So far it is looking similar to last year with a big drop off in talent after the #3.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Gwyddbwyll said:
We talked about it on the Yotes board. If we picked 5th again, Alex Bourret was a popular choice.

As a pretty safe pick Bourret could complement the wild-card selection of Wheeler very nicely.

Agreed.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Matt MacInnis said:
I don't know if Bourret is really a good choice that high. I like how he plays, don't get me wrong, but #5 is....I don't know. I've seen him play a number of times and he just doesn't feel like a guy I feel all that enamoured towards. At first I thought he was great stuff, but the more I see him, the more concerns I have about him. Yes he's physical, but he's very short (I saw him when I was interviewing Picard and at 5'8" I'm taller than Bourret), and yes, people CAN overcome height, but it is difficult.

He just doesn't do anything specatacular enough for me to take him fifth. Maybe 8-12, but that's just my two cents.

When did you meet him? Everywhere I've looked he's listed at either 5'10'' or 5'11''. I've never seen him listed at 5'7'' or 5'6''. Do you think that everyone is just fudging their numbers? :dunno:

If that's the case Wacey Rabbit is probably like 5'2''. ;)

What were some of your other concerns, besides him being vertically challenged? :help:

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
ktownhockey said:
I follow this draft pretty hardcore so I'll give you a basic run down of who could fall to a low 20's pick as you asked...

Bertram won't fall that far .. the farthest I see him falling is 14th overall... he'll be a top 10 if he has a good second half of the year.... Skille will be 15-25 so he's a possibility.. I don't really like him in a leafs uni yet. i've only seen him play once..
The guy who Im thinking alot of teams are gonna shy away from is G. Latendresse.. he was projected as a top 5 pick in the summer by everyone on these boards and from different media sources... but with injury and inconsistent play his stock is dropping... I think he'll be a top 10 pick if he has an adequate second half of the year ... BUT if he doesn't I could see him pulling a Robbie Schremp and falling to the 20's if I were the leafs I would pick him for sure... all the tools are their.. just needs some seasoning...

Brian Lee could turn into an awesome dman.. but I'd like a forward prospect... I'd hope Setoguchi would fall.. but he won't he may even work his way into the top 10..

Tuukka Rask could drop but I doubt it

Here are some guys we are looking at

F Nicklas Berfgors
G Carey Price
F T.J Hensick
F Alex Bourret
F Jack Skille
D Luc Bourdon
D Marc Staal
F Ilya Zubov
F Ryan Stoa
D Patrick Mcneil
D Brian Lee
F Michael Blunden
D Teemu Laakso

If i had the leafs pick I would choose either Teemu Laakso (solid d prospect), Carey Price (awesome year in the dub, good size) Brian Lee (good all around defenceman HUGE) or a surprise pick Michael Blunden (seen him play and he's carrying Erie and is terribly underrated)

I do think he's underrated. But would you take him first or Kopitar?

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
As for the Ducks, I assume they would pick again between 5# and 10# so it would be nice to pick Bobby Ryan, Zagrapan, Bergfors or Laakso.

TML

Dec 13, 2003
Hamilton
If the Leafs were to choose in the low 20's... I'd like...

F Ryan Stoa
F Michael Blunden
F Niklas Bergfors
D Marc Staal
D Luc Bourdon
G Alexander Vincent
G Carey Price

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
If the Pens picked second, I would pick Brule. His size really isn't a benefit to him, but he isn't really small, just not big.

In the second round, I hope Bergfors falls, but I like Shirokov there too. I haven't looked into the 05 draft a lot yet, though.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Caps...

well, out of the top 3 would be a shock...

So, Crosby, Johnson, Brule, in that order.

I'm assuming probably 2nd or 3rd, because the hockey god's are a cruel mistress.

Though, I do like Brule a lot, and he does have the McPhee WHL connection, the Caps need a top prospect defenseman more than they need an elite forward propsect. They could use a centerman, but the difficultly of a 5'11" centerman is something the Caps front office would have a problem with. Not to mention their own dependance on the center position as more of a defensive position, instead of offensive production.

That being said, if they do wind up being able to take Crosby, I think like the Ovechkin pick last year, it might not fit the modus operandi of the Capitals front office, but they would have to succomb to the sheer talent and potential of that player.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
For Florida, if they picked 7th I think they'd pick a dman for sure. Maybe Kindl, but more defensive I think.

I think the panthers would trade down and draft a mean crease clearing dman. A Jeff Schultz, Andy Rogers, Mark Fistric type with a bit of offense.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Laakso is more of an elite skilled defenseman, I think you're thinking of Risto Korhonen, the big fin who loves to hit and plays very defensively.

Teemu Laakso is surprisingly physical. He is very tough and plays the man.

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
Chimaera said:
They could use a centerman, but the difficultly of a 5'11" centerman is something the Caps front office would have a problem with.

That's a recipie for failure. Most of the recent cup winning teams had #1 centers who are 5'11" or under. Here's a list for the last decade (I know some of the centers listed can be argued against as #1s):

Tampa - Brad Richards (sometimes listed as 6')
Devils - Scott Gomez
Wings - Steve Yzerman
Avs - Joe Sakic
Devils - Scott Gomez
Stars - Mike Modano (exception)
Wings - Steve Yzerman
Wings - Steve Yzerman
Avs - Joe Sakic
Devils - Neal Broten

X-SHARKIE

I think Defenseman BRENDAN MICKELSON of Portland WHL is one of the most underated players in this draft.

He's one hell of a defenseman, he has excellent size, competes and wins battles in his own zone and has great offensive upside even without great numbers.

You gotta see him to appreciate him.

I wouldn't mind the Sharks grabbing him in the 2nd round one bit!

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
X-SHARKIE said:
I think Defenseman BRENDAN MICKELSON of Portland WHL is one of the most underated players in this draft.

He's one hell of a defenseman, he has excellent size, competes and wins battles in his own zone and has great offensive upside even without great numbers.

You gotta see him to appreciate him.

I wouldn't mind the Sharks grabbing him in the 2nd round one bit!
I agree, and I'll throw out Dustin Kohn's name, a Hitmen Defenseman, they just keep cranking them out. Mike Gauthier is a solid D in the 2nd or 3rd round as well, Scott Jackson as well, Macias if he stays on D too.

Its not as good a crew of D out of the Dub as normal lately, but its underrated.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Can someone give me an overview of Marc Staal. What his potential is. What style he has..is he offensive, hard-hitting, defensive...and where he is expected to fall?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
PanthersRule said:
For Florida, if they picked 7th I think they'd pick a dman for sure. Maybe Kindl, but more defensive I think.

I think the panthers would trade down and draft a mean crease clearing dman. A Jeff Schultz, Andy Rogers, Mark Fistric type with a bit of offense.

Hahaha...

Jeff Schultz is not a physical defenseman.

jin said:
That's a recipie for failure. Most of the recent cup winning teams had #1 centers who are 5'11" or under. Here's a list for the last decade (I know some of the centers listed can be argued against as #1s):

Ok, so Stevie Y about 6 times.

Richards is quality, but not the singular reason they made it. Sakic included. The same could even be argued for Yzerman. But you're missing a big point in my argument. Center is not going to be a scoring position for the Caps, they don't play the LW lock, nor the wide open offense some of those cup teams you're listing do.

All of those are great leaders, and decent players, but you're missing the argument. The main basis for the decision to take Johsnon over Brule, (would the situation occur) would consist of the Capitals needing an elite defenseman more then they need another elite forward prospect. Especially when considering the Capitals Center position is largely a defensive role. Crosby's sheer upside would overvaule that judgement, while I don't think there's that much of a split between Johnson and Brule. a 5'11" centerman, who is going to be used primarily for defensive purposes is going to have a harder time when offense is his main game. The Caps need the defenseman more.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
OneSpeedOnly said:
Teemu Laakso is surprisingly physical. He is very tough and plays the man.

But still not really what some would call a bruiser. I'd still take him over Korhonen, though. Laakso makes fewer mistakes, delivers some great passes and doesn't take as much stupid penalties. In one word, he's reliable.

My favorite team is the Red Wings, but I'm not really familiar with their current prospect status so I can't say who I'd pick REALISTICALLY. Do they need a center, winger, defender or a goalie? The other thing is, Detroit will pick so late that it will be way too hard to predict who will actually be left at that stage.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
rt said:
When did you meet him? Everywhere I've looked he's listed at either 5'10'' or 5'11''. I've never seen him listed at 5'7'' or 5'6''. Do you think that everyone is just fudging their numbers? :dunno:

If that's the case Wacey Rabbit is probably like 5'2''. ;)

What were some of your other concerns, besides him being vertically challenged? :help:

Writing for HF I have media credentials to access games at the Colisee in Moncton. When Lewiston came to play I interview his teammate Alexandre Picard just behind the locker room area (Moncton's arena is difficult to explain).

Maybe I was just confused with his height, but from 10-15 feet away he definitely looked shorter than I did. But it may have been because he is pretty stocky that he appeared shorter than he is.

I can't really pinpoint anything with him. He, like Picard, likely will face injuries his entire career simply because of the style which he plays. Bourret is a very scrappy player who has too much guts to back down from much bigger players, and that may result in people taking runs at him and such because although he can hit, in the end, the smaller guy is more likely to take the abuse out of any collision.

His skills are good, but I'm not certain if they are really top five, top eight, good. He's got solid speed and a good shot but his puck handling skills don't wow me for sure. The entire package just doesn't quite seem like I'd want to take him top ten.

boby

Oct 3, 2004
Bourret is the best deal(5th-10th).

Everybody scout compare him (skating,hand)at Mark Recchi(PHI),he hit same J.R(PHI) and he put nose and trafic same Tucker(TOR) and he have on ice character same Gilmour,Chelios,Yzerman,not bad.

JonathanWashington

Hockey in Cairo
Dec 26, 2004
Manhattan
i think buffalo is looking to trade its first round pick for a high second this year and a teams first round next year.

no seriously we always get traped outside the top ten. our team markets the idea that they can make some miracle playoff push at the end of the year.. and we gain ground on atlanta flordia and all these teams with a better young core tallent.
even though we need defensemen.
i would pick the best center at 13..

who would be a good center for vanek and stafford? thats who i pick

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Matt MacInnis said:
I don't know if Bourret is really a good choice that high. I like how he plays, don't get me wrong, but #5 is....I don't know. I've seen him play a number of times and he just doesn't feel like a guy I feel all that enamoured towards. At first I thought he was great stuff, but the more I see him, the more concerns I have about him. Yes he's physical, but he's very short (I saw him when I was interviewing Picard and at 5'8" I'm taller than Bourret), and yes, people CAN overcome height, but it is difficult.

He just doesn't do anything specatacular enough for me to take him fifth. Maybe 8-12, but that's just my two cents.

I stood next to him and he seems more like 5'10 than >5'8 and for the record I'm 6'0, maybe he was hunching or wearing a girdle? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad