Realistically, If You were the GM, WHO WOULD YOU SELECT?

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Amadeus, Jan 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amadeus

Amadeus Stand Witness

From the upcoming draft 2005. If you were the GM of your favorite team. Who do you select...

As a LEAF fan, assuming we have a draft pick in low 20. I would go for either Jack Skille or Dan Bertram.

My Other choices--- if they remain...

Bergfors
    Latendresse ( assuming he drops because of injury, i would still take a chance on him )
    Brian Lee

2. kruezer

kruezer Registered User

Assuming Calgary picks around 20th, which I can always hope for, I'd say they would likely lean towards a western kid (big surprise there) If Danny Bertram fell to them I would be amazed, but he would be atop the list, other than that, WHLers like Durand, Setoguchi, Drazenovic, McArdle and many others I'm missing would be likely selections, basically any western kid.

3. hfboardsuser

hfboardsuser Registered User

Oilers will probably land a mid-round pick (13-15). I'd have to go with
    Bergfors in order to pick up the blueline stud the team needs. If he's gone by then, Bertram would be my next selection.

4. leafaholix*

leafaholix* Guest

I have my personal preferences, but I have also come to the realization that my teams scouts and GM know much more than I, and that anything they do will be wiser than anything I would like them to do.

Example...

In 2002 I wanted Martin Vagner with the Leafs #24 pick and Jiri Hudler in round 2... we got Alexander Steen and Matthew Stajan.

So... go figure.

Anyways, here are the names I like in round 1 if the Leafs have a pick in the 20's...

Tuukka Rask
    Niklas Bergfors
    Marek Zagrapan

I know there's a dozen other picks that I would love to see the Leafs pick, but I haven't seen them play.

Last edited by moderator : Jan 2, 2005
  5. Gwyddbwyll

Gwyddbwyll Registered User

We talked about it on the Yotes board. If we picked 5th again, Alex Bourret was a popular choice.

Bobby Ryan and G.Latendresse were exciting power forward prospects (and they have signed Olivier Latendresse as well) but since we already have Doan, perhaps not that necessary. As a pretty safe pick Bourret could complement the wild-card selection of Wheeler very nicely.

6. Chaos

Chaos And the winner is...

Home Page:
    Nicklas Bergfors- I really liked what I saw in the game against the USA, and we seem to have had a bit of luck with Swedes lately(Hagos, Eriksson, Fransson, Grossman).

7. Seachd

Seachd Registered User

Home Page:
    Bergfors is a forward.

8. ZombieMatt

ZombieMatt Registered User

I don't know if Bourret is really a good choice that high. I like how he plays, don't get me wrong, but #5 is....I don't know. I've seen him play a number of times and he just doesn't feel like a guy I feel all that enamoured towards. At first I thought he was great stuff, but the more I see him, the more concerns I have about him. Yes he's physical, but he's very short (I saw him when I was interviewing Picard and at 5'8" I'm taller than Bourret), and yes, people CAN overcome height, but it is difficult.

He just doesn't do anything specatacular enough for me to take him fifth. Maybe 8-12, but that's just my two cents.

9. pittengineer

pittengineer Registered User

PhD Student
    I think with Pittsburgh (assuming #1), I would probably have to go with Crosby. Pretty hard decision :)

10. Big McLargehuge

Big McLargehuge Registered User

Pittsburgh's wish list...

1. Crosby
    2. Brule
    3. Johnson

11. FearTheFlyers

FearTheFlyers Registered User

Home Page:
    Assuming the Flyers pick round 25 i'd go with a big bruising d-man. Maybe Teemu Laakso.

12. X-SHARKIE

X-SHARKIE Registered User

Home Page:
    Laakso is more of an elite skilled defenseman, I think you're thinking of Risto Korhonen, the big fin who loves to hit and plays very defensively.

13. Duff88

Duff88 Registered User

I'd really like the habs to get one of Bergfors, Zagrapan, Bourdon, Durand, Skille or Stoa in the first round. In the 2nd or later rounds, I'd love to get Lashoff, Hanzal, Gauthier, Korhonen, Paquet, Vojta, Stuart, Sundh, Jackson, Bartanus, Birnstill, Kudelka, Hjalmarsson, Belov or Yandle.

That's a long list, but these are a few guys I'm keeping a close eye on.

14. Kubera55

Kubera55 Registered User

As a Ranger fan, I've been absolutely fixated on Jack Johnson for months now. I have no idea what the rules will be for this draft year, and where the Rangers will end, up, but I'm hoping they find a way to land him.

After that, Skille and Ryan both sound like interesting PF type bodies. But most of what I've read about them puts them more in the 5-15 slots... not top 5, like I'm hoping the Rangers end up picking.

15. Barnaby

Barnaby Registered User

Kessel.... but in the 05' draft we'll have to see.

The Rangers would have a very good shot at landing a top 3 pick if there is hockey. Assuming we dont get extremely lucky in the lottery then I'd take Jack Johnson. The Rangers need a young stud d-man. They appear to be building from the goal on out and are looking for character players so he is the logical choice.

If we end up stuck at 6 again :banghead: then I'd take whoever is left of Pouliot and Kindl. A possible stud d-man or top line forward.

#66 Registered User

Home Page:
    Are there any other Penguin fans that worry about taking Brule? I like his game alot and you have to love his ferocity but playing that way at his size might make for problems down the road. If the Pens end up getting the second pick overall again I would have to go with Johnson. While I haven't seen him play people make him sound like the second coming of Potvin. In the second round I would go with Shirokov.

17. leafaholix*

leafaholix* Guest

Brule's size shouldn't be a problem.

18. ktownhockey

ktownhockey Registered User

I follow this draft pretty hardcore so I'll give you a basic run down of who could fall to a low 20's pick as you asked...

Bertram won't fall that far .. the farthest I see him falling is 14th overall... he'll be a top 10 if he has a good second half of the year.... Skille will be 15-25 so he's a possibility.. I don't really like him in a leafs uni yet. i've only seen him play once..
    The guy who Im thinking alot of teams are gonna shy away from is G. Latendresse.. he was projected as a top 5 pick in the summer by everyone on these boards and from different media sources... but with injury and inconsistent play his stock is dropping... I think he'll be a top 10 pick if he has an adequate second half of the year ... BUT if he doesn't I could see him pulling a Robbie Schremp and falling to the 20's if I were the leafs I would pick him for sure... all the tools are their.. just needs some seasoning...

Brian Lee could turn into an awesome dman.. but I'd like a forward prospect... I'd hope Setoguchi would fall.. but he won't he may even work his way into the top 10..

Tuukka Rask could drop but I doubt it

Here are some guys we are looking at

F Nicklas Berfgors
    G Carey Price
    F T.J Hensick
    F Alex Bourret
    F Jack Skille
    D Luc Bourdon
    D Marc Staal
    F Ilya Zubov
    F Ryan Stoa
    D Patrick Mcneil
    D Brian Lee
    F Michael Blunden
    D Teemu Laakso

If i had the leafs pick I would choose either Teemu Laakso (solid d prospect), Carey Price (awesome year in the dub, good size) Brian Lee (good all around defenceman HUGE) or a surprise pick Michael Blunden (seen him play and he's carrying Erie and is terribly underrated)

19. leafaholix*

leafaholix* Guest

Leafs don't need anymore defensemen.

We need forwards and maybe a goalie... I'm thinking in the next draft the Leafs go all out and pick maybe one or two players that don't play forward... we need to stack up on offensive forwards.

Very confident in our scouts, I haven't been this excited about the draft since I attended one in 2002.

#66 Registered User

Home Page:
    I'm not worried about his size. It's more of a worry about the way he plays at that size. Even if he turns it down a little, I'm not sure that he can be the same player without playing without all of that intensity.

21. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    I would love the flyers to trade up for Bobby Ryan :D

22. Kubera55

Kubera55 Registered User

If the Rangers are at No.6 again, I actually would advocate moving up for Johnson.

Assuming the Rangers are at No.6, and everyone else follows their 2004 draft spot, that would put the defense rich Chicago Blackhawks at No.3. A very likely spot for Johnson to go, and Chicago really doesn't need him with Babchuk, Seabrook, and Barker all already in the system.

I'd probably offer up one of the Rangers trio of goaltenders (Blackburn being the obvious choice) with sweateners and the No.6 pick, conditional on Johnson still being there at No.3.

Something like:

NYR gets:
    No.3 Overall (Johnson)

CHI gets:
    No.6 Overall
    Blackburn
    PHI 2nd Round Pick (Acquired last year at the deadline for Malakhov)

I hate to give up on Blackburn, but with his injury and waiver elgibility issues, he's a huge gamble that the Rangers don't need to be focusing on. Chicago seems like a better destination for him, and if he comes back, the deal would be a slam dunk for Chicago.

23. mcarrick16

mcarrick16 Registered User

Home Page:
    who is the best offencive defencemen after Johnsson?

24. leafaholix*

leafaholix* Guest

Though I don't agree, Jakub Kindl is a highly touted defenseman.

25. hockeyfan125

hockeyfan125 Registered User

He is only 1 inch shorter than Forsberg, and 20 pounds less or so, and hes only 18. He has a bit to fill out still. There are great intense players, it doesnt mean you have to be 6 foot 3 220 pounds all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.