Realistic Trade Proposals IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Hiesenberg,

The return for Richards turned out to be more but no one thought Simmonds was going to be as good as he became. He was a third line winger in LA. Simmonds turned out to be a huge steal. Voracek had the pedigree of being a top 10 pick that. Either way, Richards and Carter both got great returns because they were both borderline 1st line quality centers at the time of trade. Any return for Simmonds would likely be less due to positional importance.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The length of the Carter and Richards contracts also raised their value compared to what Simmonds would have now even with three years left.

Of course, the Richards contract turned out to be five years too long for LA but no one was worried about that at the time.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
We also got multiple quality pieces for both those trades. 4 of our top 6 (which techniqually we only have 5 top 6 players) came from those 2 trades.

Out of true top 6 forwards on this team, g is the only one not from the trades

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If we're going to focus on "realistic," then we should think about moves around the margin, big name deals make little sense at this point because the Flyers have finally identified a core of players who fit well together, other than maybe upgrading Raffl on the 2nd line (and I think he's actually a good fit with Couts, remember, this is not just a scoring line but a shutdown line as well), the key is upgrading the 3rd and 4th lines - if the Couts line is our best defensive line, then we probably want a better scoring 3rd line and faster checkers on the 4th line than VV and White.

On defense, with Provorov almost certain to start next year, Morin with a shot, and Sanheim and Myers in the pipeline, it would be foolish to give up major assets for an expensive upgrade.
Provorov - ???
Morin - Ghost
MDZ - Gudas

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
i think the richards deal got us the 2nd that we used for Stolarz if im not wrong..

The pick that we used on Stolarz was acquired in the Bob trade. We also acquired a fourth round pick in the deal which was used on Leier.

The second round pick we acquired in the Richards trade was used to acquire Grossmann in another trade.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
The length of the Carter and Richards contracts also raised their value compared to what Simmonds would have now even with three years left.

Of course, the Richards contract turned out to be five years too long for LA but no one was worried about that at the time.

At the time (and even 2.5 years ago) LA had there #2C (Carter was playing on Richards wing) locked in long term. Due to the two cups this trade will always be a win/win IMO. had LA not won the Flyers would have won the deal.
At the time Simmonds was my favorite King, and this deal further cemented that the Flyers were the team I would be routing for in the East.

I though Simmonds was locked in at a great cap hit before the deal?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
It makes me sad that people think those trades were losses due to the Kings winning two cups and the current state of the Flyers.

I don't get why there has to be a "loser" in a trade. Sometimes there are and it is obvious.
However one thing the people who seem to think the Flyers "losed" the deal was that the deals also allowed the Flyers to re-sign (trade and sign? I forget) a Goalie whom at the time was needed, and at the time was worth a high hit.
That deal turned out terrible, but at the time there was not a GM who wouldn't have offered Bob that type of deal.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Simmonds was an unsigned RFA when acquired (as was Voracek). He signed an extension for a total of $3.5M for two years ($1.75M per year) that summer with the Flyers.

He then went on to sign another extension two summers later with the Flyers for a total of $23.85M for six years ($3.975M per year). That's the current contract he's on.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phi...l-flyers-should-be-selling-nhl-trade-deadline

It’s time for Flyers general manager Ron Hextall to start thinking hard about selling leading up to and through the NHL trade deadline, which is Feb. 29.

Hextall has likely made up his mind and admitted last week he has a plan already in place.

“I have some ideas in my mind,” Hextall said. “We’ll look at everything as we go along, monitor where we're at, what our needs are and what people want from us. We'll monitor everything, then make decisions closer to the deadline.

“If we can get someone who can help us now and in the long term, we'd look at that, but we're not going to look for someone who will help us just now. That's not going to happen.”

Hextall emphasized he won’t allow his prospects to become trade deadline bait.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
Hiesenberg,

You forgot about Couturier (the 1st) in the Carter deal.

Yeah and Cousins is playing 2C in place of Couts right now with Jake on RW...

When Couts gets back we'll just slide Cousins over to LW and have the Carter Trade Line.

Cousins-Couturier-Voracek

Nat a bad return at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad