Realistic Trade Partners for D

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
What are some realistic trade partners for us to alleviate our logjam on defense? We have 9 defensemen on 1-way contracts.

Streit
MacDonald
Schenn
Grossmann
Medvedev
Schultz
Del Zotto (expected to re-sign)
Gudas
Manning

Looking at some rosters, Edmonton, Arizona and San Jose all stand out to me as potential trade candidates for one of our defensemen.

Edmonton Defense
Nikita Nikitin
Justin Schultz RFA
Mark Fayne
Andrew Ference
Oscar Klefbom
Keith Aulie RFA
Martin Marincin RFA

They have 4 defensemen under contract. Darnell Nurse could make the jump this year so that would give them 5 defensemen, but if Edmonton is smart they will start the year with Nurse in the AHL. Schultz' name is coming up in trade rumors, but could be resigned. Could this be a good landing spot for Luke Schenn? Bottom-pairing right-handed defensemen? They have two 3rd round picks this year. They send one of those our way and its a done deal.

San Jose Defense
Brent Burns
Marc-Edouard Vlasic
Justin Braun
Brenden Dillon RFA
Matt Irwin UFA
Scott Hannan UFA
Mirco Mueller

San Jose has 4 defensemen under contract heading into next season. Dillon is likely to get resigned. Hannan is likely to retire. They will likely use their 1st round pick on a forward to help replace Thornton and Marleau, who will be gone either by the trade deadline or next. Burns is sometimes used at forward, which hurts their defensive depth even more. They have two 5th round picks this year. They also have two 4th round picks in 2016. Send one of those our way, and they can have the services and sniping ability of one, Nicklas Grossmann.

Arizona Defense

Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Michael Stone
Connor Murphy
John Moore RFA
Brandon Gormley RFA
Klas Dahlbeck RFA
Andrew Campbell UFA

Arizona has 3 defensemen under contract. They have a lot of work to do. Moore and Gormley should get resigned but they could still use 1 or 2 more veterans. They have two 3rds in 2015. One of those gets them Schenn. Their 5th this year or next gets them Grossmann.

Now I realize that teams have some unknown variables to fill their holes, such as internal prospects and free agency, but I feel all three are viable trade partners, and let's face it, we NEED to trade some defensemen.

Anyone else have any other ideas on this?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I can't help but think we're going to send some players to the Hockeyleague Buyouts.

I don't think we will see any buy-outs of defensemen. Lecavalier on the other hand..

MadFerIt95*

Well if SJ gave us a third for Tye McGinn, then we could get some real value for Grossy or Schenn

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Manning should be an AHL player that is used as a serviceable call-up. Our 7th/8th. I can never remember who is left-handed and who is right, and I also don't care enough to remember, so just based on playing ability and who is easiest to move:

Streit/Schenn
MacDonald
Medvedev
Schultz
Del Zotto
Gudas

Would be ideal. Might be able to trade Grossmann for a nothing or almost nothing return. Streit is at an ideal point in time to be traded. He's getting to the point in age where we should be getting nervous about his future performance for the rest of the contract and team's in general are desperate enough for quality D and Streit's last couple seasons have been so good that he should be able to fetch a good return. It would be great timing too considering the glut of D we have and that nobody expects us to compete in the next year or two. So keep Schenn if Streit's moved, if not then move Schenn.

I don't think any of the prospect D are making it next season. Maybe Ghost, a big maybe.

canada14

Feb 13, 2015
If philly agree's to retain a million per year of Mac's salary I believe he becomes a lot more attractive and valuable to teams. Obviously it's a kick in the nuts to be on the hook for that but it clears a dman and we get a decent chunk in cap space still. Gudas, Schenn and Grossman all play similar styles, hard nosed defense and aren't excellent skaters; that should lead to Grossman being the odd man out and being traded. I think Striet gets moved at the deadline to a contender, bringing back good value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad