Realistic trade deadline outcomes???

Mathew

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
Holland is gone next year no way we pay him 2mil+to play on the 4th line there are better options in the minors and FA i hope we xan get a 3rd round pick for him the more we stock up the beter

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Interesting of note in Friendman's 30 Thoughts:

Might make sense for them to try and obtain Bernier. His salary dips after his bonus is paid out (drops to 2m) but his cap hit is 4.15m. They could be a team that comes knocking maybe after the bonus is paid, because I don't think you'll get a cheaper gamble on the market.

yea but were talking about the deadline and the poster was specifically talking about a Cam Ward swap. this type of deal is certainly possible but that's after july 1st once we've paid his bonus. and that would also depend greatly on what we do with Reimer because if were waiting till after july 1st to deal Bernier then the decision on Reimer will be done, and if he's not on the team Bernier wont be going anywhere.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
yea but were talking about the deadline and the poster was specifically talking about a Cam Ward swap. this type of deal is certainly possible but that's after july 1st once we've paid his bonus. and that would also depend greatly on what we do with Reimer because if were waiting till after july 1st to deal Bernier then the decision on Reimer will be done, and if he's not on the team Bernier wont be going anywhere.

I actually disagree. I don't think the decision to keep or trade one of our goalies means that the other is guaranteed to get the opposite. If we get a good offer for Reimer at this deadline and trade him, we could still move on from Bernier during the offseason.

I am happy if we trade one or the other, or both. My biggest fear is that we extend Reimer, and keep Bernier around with him. They have proven that, as a tandem, they don't work and are less than the sum of their parts.

tokyoite

I changed my name from "nipponjin" last summer.
Feb 22, 2015
Tokyo metropolitan area JPN
That would be such a dick move. Claim the guy on waivers, then sit him in the press box for 5 months before trading him for scraps.

I guess he got paid NHL money instead of being sent to the AHL to make a tenth of that, so there's that, but still. Guy needs to play somewhere.

He should be in the Marlies
I don't know why he is sitting in the press box.
it's a mystery to me.

Last edited:

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Trade Polak, hopefully trade Lupul(his value is low as hell now), trade one of our goalies...I dont care which one. I love Komarov but if someone is willing to overpay we move him(has to be an overpayment IMO), get rid of as many of the rentals we can for whatever we can. Any amount of seconds would be great so we can use them to climb up the boards and target some guys.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
I'd trade komorov ,PA, polak, lupol, bozal and Bernier

Yeah, LL would have to based on a certain return, but I just can't help but think he's a player who knows and accepts his role and is determined to lead by example understanding precisely where the club is positioned with respect to contention. That and his rare combination of courage and dedication is the kind of character you'd think (and at his price point) the organization would set a much higher value on given the absence of that character prior to his arrival.

The rest...I'd take picks and let Hunter and Dubas play. We'd get one or two gems from that haul, of that I have little doubt.

#KeepKomarov

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Realistic expectation:

Leafs can't trade either goalie.

Move most / all of their pending UFAs for average draft pick returns, and you might get a cap dump in there somewhere too.

That's it.

No major trades that are going to light the city on fire.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm expecting one of the goaltenders traded and Sparks recalled. Also the obvious with Polak, PAP and Matthias/Grabner traded for picks.

Anything more then that and it's gravy to me.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm expecting one of the goaltenders traded and Sparks recalled. Also the obvious with Polak, PAP and Matthias/Grabner traded for picks.

Anything more then that and it's gravy to me.

I'm not sure they've decided which way Goalie to go with, I think they'll keep both.

Is Sparks still hurt?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm not sure they've decided which way Goalie to go with, I think they'll keep both.

Is Sparks still hurt?

Sparks had a 39 save shutout yesterday for the Marlies.

I don't care who they keep, just get the most value out of one of them.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
This TD is going to be a defining moment for Lou Lam and one of the main reasons he was brought in to clean house and turn over the roster.

It's hard to get anything done at the TD anymore.
I want turnover but dont expect much.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
This is still a long term rebuild that hasn't even reached the young team phase yet. Most everyone is available except morgan,jake,naz and jvr basically.

Basically thats all the core we have. Thats not much and there is a full rebuild left to accomplish. I have zero expectations for the trade deadline. Anything we get is a baby step for my thinking.

I am looking forward to the phase of losing as a young team yet.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm not sure Babcock's stifling system is setting their rentals up for a great bidding war.

UFA
Boyes
Spaling
Grabner
Matthias
Parenteau
Clune

Once the Leafs have paid most of his contract I could see some interest in Grabner for a team in need of PK assistance.

With Parenteau I think he needs to show he can score without van Riemsdyk taking the coverage. Near 1/3 of his points are PP, and would he be on a PP if the team wasn't a bottom feeder like the Leafs?

If Leafs can get 3 picks from the above we should be happy, and if they are 3rd. - 5th. rounders ... Timashov/Johnson projects are available.

Now if they move a top 6 forward / Komarov type of player I could see a 2nd., protected first being involved.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Expectations on the boards are stewing for disappointment at the deadline i think. That doesn't mean i am right but there doesn't look like much of a market out there for what we have to offer.

Looking forward to young guys taking spots next camp and eatching babs progress their development in the nhl is my only expectations really.

I would love to dump all the big contracts like everyone else but it really doesn't look like a rational expectation. I hope Phaneuf could be moved.

That would be a great trade deadline if we could move that salary. Trading Phaneuf for two contracts of higher or even value with slightly less term would even be a positive move.

Nonis screwed us pretty good with his signings.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Realistic expectation:

Leafs can't trade either goalie.

Move most / all of their pending UFAs for average draft pick returns, and you might get a cap dump in there somewhere too.

That's it.

No major trades that are going to light the city on fire.

Pretty much. The only change I would make to your post is that they will be able to trade Reimer, they'll just choose not to.

Has everyone forgotten last year's trade deadline? Lots of fans got all pumped up about a teardown and then we just traded our rentals.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The only change I would make to your post is that they will be able to trade Reimer, they'll just choose not to.

Which would be a mistake. Unless they unload Bernier in the off-season......but then that means Reimer gets re-signed, which I don't think is a good idea if it's anywhere close to the term and money that have been mentioned

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Which would be a mistake. Unless they unload Bernier in the off-season......but then that means Reimer gets re-signed, which I don't think is a good idea if it's anywhere close to the term and money that have been mentioned

I haven't seen any kinds of terms/money being mentioned. Anything less than a Talbot contract would be fine by me.

tolwyn

Feb 4, 2015
Expectations on the boards are stewing for disappointment at the deadline i think. That doesn't mean i am right but there doesn't look like much of a market out there for what we have to offer.

I really don't know where any of the top 10 or so teams would fit a guy like PA or Polak into their lineups, but I'm hopeful we find SOMEONE willing to give us some assets. I doubt we so the majority of our FA signings go, but I'd love to be wrong.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
I really don't know where any of the top 10 or so teams would fit a guy like PA or Polak into their lineups, but I'm hopeful we find SOMEONE willing to give us some assets. I doubt we so the majority of our FA signings go, but I'd love to be wrong.

This answers the Polak question:

Easy fit.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Im looking at Polak being traded for any price, his actual value is probably a 3rd or 4th but hopefully deadline frenzy can make that a 2nd.

I also see PAP gone but if a contender trades for him PAP will probably be on their 3rd line so probably a 3rd round pick.

Boyes and Grabner are 50/50 but will probably get a conditional 5th or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad