Speculation: realistic Karlsson suitors

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Well for need and window, I think Edm fits that. Assets, I think if they'd pay, they'd be borderline crippled as their depth is nonexistent already. And money, I can't see them being able to pay Karlsson a fair deal with all the other contracts they have. They'd have to ship some out, which won't be easy.

Wasn't there also a report somewhere that said Edm was on Karlsson's no trade list anyway? I can't remember.

Let's keep in mind here that if Karlsson were to come to the Oilers then guaranteed Klefbom and his $4+ mil/per goes the other way, especially if the Oilers were to likely offer Karlsson $10 mil/per x6. The Oilers would likely be able to do this because of the money they saved with the Hall and Ebs trades as well as the boat anchor contract that was Mark Fayne and his $3.5 mil/per gone from the books. All is not as it seems for the Oilers financially as the aren't in that bad a shape! o_O

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Which team can check the following boxes?

Young and talented
Loaded with assets
Cap space
Deep roster
Need a Defenseman

Toronto fits all of those. Reilly and Kadri and work on the other assets for balance

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Which team can check the following boxes?

Young and talented
Loaded with assets
Cap space
Deep roster
Need a Defenseman

Toronto fits all of those. Reilly and Kadri and work on the other assets for balance
no

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Not the best player in his position in his prime nope thats terrible. Barrie, Makar and the pick have to be in the package or the sens will trade him somewhere else. Maybe a small add from Ottawa but thats it.

Both 2018 1sts (Col and Ott given back) + Barrie for Karlsson
Sens then enter a full on rebuild.

Actually they are the best fit because a deal with them hypothetically gives Ottawa the opportunity to do the rebuild properly. People around here expecting Ottawa to get peanuts for Karlsson are going to be shocked for what he gets traded for.

Uh-huh...tell me more.

Lol the Avs aren't going to give Ottawa back their pick. They know that the sens are going to move Karlsson and I'm sure they can't wait to see what that Defense looks like without him. Plus I'm sure Sakic isn't going to mind having that smug dorion sweat it out for a year.

To suggest we'd have to give you Barrie (PPG LEADER for d-men this past NHL season) + Makar (4th overall) last year + your own pick back (excellent chance that it ends up a Top-10 pick) only to have a chance at signing Karlsson to a $12M per year contract is an absolute joke and complete wishful thinking on your part.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Devils could offer:

Severson
One of Zacha, Bratt, or McLeod
2019 first
+ another piece

From Dorion's comments, it seems as if the Senators will at least hold onto Karlsson until July 1st hence the 2019 pick.

I think other teams may be able to beat that offer though.

Underdogoil

Jan 17, 2018
How about Dallas for Seguin and a small + don't both their contracts end next season? Maybe add a defenseman from Dallas and a forward from Ottawa. I'm a neutral fan btw.

Underdogoil

Jan 17, 2018
Sorry Toronto fans but no way is Ottawa trading Karlsson to you guy, deal with it and just dream of Doughty signing there after next season.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
I think Karlsson would have to clear the move with his wife. New York or Toronto are no brainers. Can't see him moving to Colorado or Edmonton

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
I Know Sens fans are probably sick of talking about him being traded but I think it would be good if we narrowed the list of suitors based on four categories.

Need:
Who needs a number 1 dman?

Window:
Who is entering or is in a cup contending window? It makes no sense for Karlsson to go to, and then commit to a rebuild at this stage of his career.

Assets:
Who has the tradeable assets without crippling their organization?

Money:
Who has the money available to pay him a fair market deal?

In theory every team should want him but the reality is very few teams fit all four categories I've laid out.

The Flyers fit the bill but I don't believe a split second Hextalls conservative style would allow him to make a bold move like that.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
How about Dallas for Seguin and a small + don't both their contracts end next season? Maybe add a defenseman from Dallas and a forward from Ottawa. I'm a neutral fan btw.

I would rather sign Seguin to a $15mil /per year contract than trade him away for defense. He is the most important player on this Stars team

Reactions: Crocoduck

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Any team trading for him will become weaker when all is said and done. If teams are smart they will wait the extra year when he becomes a UFA.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Do it, LA.

Karlsson - Doughty
Muzzin - Martinez
Phaneuf - LaDue

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
What team is a realistic suitor for EK.....

Um......every team?

Anybody who doesn't think teams will suddenly provide assets that are usually off the table for Erik friggin Karlsson are just being silly.

If the Sens do trade him, and I doubt they will, they will get both quality and quantity because no team who trades for him isn't going to not resign him. They will work it out before the handshake.

Seriously......

Crocoduck

Mar 3, 2013
Peterborough, Ont.
Nope. That would leave Dallas with zero top 6 Centers with no one in the system that is even remotely close to being able to fill those roles. There is no benefit to trading our legit 1C for a luxury in Karlsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad