TSN: Realignment: Tampa in the Central division

Kusic

Back-to-back Champs!
Jul 4, 2010
Karlovy Vary
twitter.com
The NHLPA approves realignment through 2014-15 season. 16 teams in the East and 14 teams in the West. Four divisions.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417615

aaaaid.jpg

Thoughts?

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
There is nothing about this I don't hate. Not least of which is the incessant bs we're going to have to listen to about how good it will be for our finances. Or about how we won't be able to compete against those high dollar teams. Like Vinik has really been cutting back and pinching his pennies so far, right guys?

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
The NHLPA approves realignment through 2014-15 season. 16 teams in the East and 14 teams in the West. Four divisions.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417615

aaaaid.jpg

Thoughts?

I like that we were spared from the Atlantic, but why are they moving to a four conference set-up with 16 teams in one division and 14 in the other? It makes 0 sense unless they're planning on adding two franchises to the west.

I've always thought it'd be easier to ship Winnipeg to the Central and move Nashville to the Southeast.

Last edited:

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
I may be the minority, but I am kind of excited to be playing all those original 6 teams on the regular. I dont think people are going to make an issue about our finances from this, because weve been pretty set (selling out all our games) so far this season in the current Southeast, and have been doing well for a while. The one negative to this is that the travel will be awful, but I dont know how much an extra hour on a plane will effect the boys. One more negative is the chance of more NBC games (again the original 6 teams)m and having to listen to Milbury and the gang more than anyone should ever have to..

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
I may be the minority, but I am kind of excited to be playing all those original 6 teams on the regular. I dont think people are going to make an issue about our finances from this, because weve been pretty set (selling out all our games) so far this season in the current Southeast, and have been doing well for a while. The one negative to this is that the travel will be awful, but I dont know how much an extra hour on a plane will effect the boys. One more negative is the chance of more NBC games (again the original 6 teams)m and having to listen to Milbury and the gang more than anyone should ever have to..

You haven't been paying attention for awhile then. It's brought up constantly in EVERY single realignment thread on both the BOH and the main NHL board. It's already in the stickied thread on the main board and it's going to get worse.

Here's what you need to remember as far as a certain segment of hockey fans are concerned.

Tampa Bay is a lousy sports town.

The Lightning get horrible fan support.

If the Lightning should happen to be selling out, it's only because they're doing well.

If they aren't playing well and still selling out, it's because tickets are cheaper than a loaf of bread.

If none of the above actually apply, well tv ratings still suck and who the hell cares about hockey in Fl anyway.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why is the division the Central? Detroit must run this league to get the name of their division brought with them to the east.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Why is the division the Central? Detroit must run this league to get the name of their division brought with them to the east.

What else could they call it? If it weren't for TB and FLA, it'd logically be called the northeast.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
What else could they call it? If it weren't for TB and FLA, it'd logically be called the northeast.

Northeast makes more sense then Central, even that doesn't make sense but more teams are closer to their than the Central.
Just go back to Adams or Norris division, something non geographical if they are gonna be this split up.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
How do the playoff seedings work? Do the conferences with more teams get more seeds/teams?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
How do the playoff seedings work? Do the conferences with more teams get more seeds/teams?

I believe the top 2 teams from each division get in, or maybe top 3, with the rest being "wild card". I think potentially you could have 5 in each team in the East and 3 in the West.

Don't really love it, but whatever.

Mantha Poodoo

Playoff Beard
Jun 5, 2008
Personally, I'm a fan. Mind you, I'm sure some of that is the elated Wings fan in me. However, the Bolts travel situation is still better than, well, anything in the West (especially since it's so easy to schedule barely-travel road trips in the East).

The big thing here is the teams in the division. Detroit + a bunch of Canadian teams? $$$$ This is going to be good for the team financially. Not a huge issue for the Bolts, mind, but it's still good incentive for the new owner. Even more important, it should benefit the Panthers, making sure that the Bolts have a close-by rival. If the kittycats after disappear, all that's left near TB would be Carolina. That'd suck, I've just never had strong feelings about the Canes.

In terms of competition... eh, the Bolts won a cup in a no-cap era. I also think it's a good thing to be playing the Atlantic teams slightly less often; those rosters are so built up to goon it up against each other that it's painful to play against them. Of course, there's still Montreal and Boston...

I must be the only one who likes it.

Nope. I think this is great for the Bolts financially. On top of that, I get to watch more teams that I like watching when I watch the Bolts and Wings.

Also, a guaranteed away game to the West each year means I get to see the Bolts once a year up in Denver, and that also makes me happy. The Wings games there are difficult to afford good seats.

There is nothing about this I don't hate. Not least of which is the incessant bs we're going to have to listen to about how good it will be for our finances. Or about how we won't be able to compete against those high dollar teams. Like Vinik has really been cutting back and pinching his pennies so far, right guys?

It will be, and I don't mind seeing Vinik get good compensation for being willing to invest in this team. The more important benefit in my opinion is the possible boon to the Panthers. I dunno about you guys, but I don't want to chance the Cats moving and having the Bolts closest competition be in friggin' Raleigh.

...I also hate the Bolts current division, so there's that.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Wheeled wing- how does this help financially?
We don't have an issue selling tickets or merchandising. Wouldn't the additional travel cost the team more money?

Mantha Poodoo

Playoff Beard
Jun 5, 2008
Wheeled wing- how does this help financially?
We don't have an issue selling tickets or merchandising. Wouldn't the additional travel cost the team more money?

No, not an issue. But it never hurts to add, either. Possibilities Detroit + Boston + major Canadian teams bring to the FL peninsula:

1: More merchandising. All those snowbirds and such that come down? Yea, kids come to visit grandparents and Junior Toronto may fancy a Stamkos jersey.

2: Higher ticket prices. Why sell out when you can sell out at higher prices?

3: Higher local tv ratings.

4: Possible higher chances of national TV views. One of the leagues biggest goalscorers against Datsyuk/Big Bad Boston/whatever?

Sure, it's not needed, but it will certainly further the success of the market.

As a fan though, mostly I'm just going to enjoy the matchups a lot more. Bolts vs Wings and I get to watch my 2 favorite teams play. Good hockey and I come out happy no matter the result, and I generally like the teams in the NE way more than WAS, CAR, WPG, especially now that Ovy is boring.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
This also means much more Lightning coverage on TSN or CBC. The team suddenly wouldn't get ignored anymore.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
No, not an issue. But it never hurts to add, either. Possibilities Detroit + Boston + major Canadian teams bring to the FL peninsula:

1: More merchandising. All those snowbirds and such that come down? Yea, kids come to visit grandparents and Junior Toronto may fancy a Stamkos jersey.

2: Higher ticket prices. Why sell out when you can sell out at higher prices?

3: Higher local tv ratings.

4: Possible higher chances of national TV views. One of the leagues biggest goalscorers against Datsyuk/Big Bad Boston/whatever?

Sure, it's not needed, but it will certainly further the success of the market.

As a fan though, mostly I'm just going to enjoy the matchups a lot more. Bolts vs Wings and I get to watch my 2 favorite teams play. Good hockey and I come out happy no matter the result, and I generally like the teams in the NE way more than WAS, CAR, WPG, especially now that Ovy is boring.

I'm glad it works out for you but it screws the casual fan.
How can you say higher ticket prices are a good thing?
When that Canadian kid asks his grandparents to buy that Stamkos jersey and they see the $240 price, they will be getting a $30 hat instead.
Have you been to a Caps-Bolts game? Ovi may be "boring" but he is the most hated player by current fans.
I'm not a fan of it currently but maybe after a season I'll change my tune.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad