TV: Real Time With Bill Maher has fallen off a cliff

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Fair enough and there are FAR worse shows on T.V. - if you've ever watched Seth Meyers show, you'll see how LOW late night T.V. can go.

I just find Real Time has gotten old and I wish Maher was more balanced.
I'm not saying his show is good or anything, there are just some amusing clips that come from it. Another is Alex Wagner talking about how hard it is raising a child in the era of Trump. Those people need to get out of their DC/NY/LA bubbles.

Add: It's just so weird that from a left perspective, they genuinely believe this era is significantly or any worse than Bush's 8 years. Cheney's years were clearly worse IMO.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'm not saying his show is good or anything, there are just some amusing clips that come from it. Another is Alex Wagner talking about how hard it is raising a child in the era of Trump. Those people need to get out of their DC/NY/LA bubbles.
I need to make one clarification, and this pains me as a Canadian...

The WORST show on late night TV (by a country mile) is Lilly Singh's. Compared to A Little Late with Lilly Singh, Real Time With Bill Maher is a trip to the Smithsonian.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
The hyperbole throughout this entire thread is palpable.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
That's fair and I'd agree if he'd have a more balance guest list. The problem is, as Maher has said himself many times, because his show is so left leaning, and the audience is so vocal / liberal, people from the right won't come on the show.
You'd think that since Maher is leaning left that they'd want to come on his show to voice their opposing opinion s.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Add: It's just so weird that from a left perspective, they genuinely believe this era is significantly or any worse than Bush's 8 years. Cheney's years were clearly worse IMO.

In terms of international affairs, yes, a case could be made. Nationally? I don't see it that at all. And all it shows is that the GOP is in an extremely sad state of affairs considering their last two presidents have been international pariahs and public embarassements.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've never thought he was great and haven't taken a look at it in years, but back when I did, I thought he was fine overall (right in the middle between how bad and good it can get), despite being a totally masturbatory show seemingly built around his ego. Even at his peak, the way he brings everything to a halt to make everyone listen to his pre-prepared jokes and pressure them to laugh has always been super awkward to watch.

I'd still rather watch it than the modern version of Myers or Noah or the Late Night version of Colbert, but that's not saying much.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Watching a show where everyone generally agrees or are yelling at one another is not entertaining.

If you watch the whole interview, at one point Maher asks Rogan to come on Real Time and Rogan says.... "NOPE!"

In the past, maybe, but in 2020, being on REAL TIME is BIG STEP down for Rogan. Just like talking about Maher is a BIG STEP down for ME. ;)

Last edited:

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
The claim that Maher doesn't have guests with opposing political viewpoints than him is false. Scaramucci was on the show multiple times back when he was singing Trump's praises. In the last couple of seasons he's had Steve Bannon, Ann Coulter, Geraldo Rivera, John Kasich, George Will, Margaret Hoover, Jordan Peterson, Chris Christie to name a few. And that's only what I can think of off the top of my head. If someone went through each episode you'd find a lot more.

The complaint that the audience laughs at all his jokes is kind of silly, because that's what happens on literally every single talk show with a live audience on TV (as well as political rallies). There's no reason to single out his show for it.

As far as declining ratings go, whether it's TV ratings, music charts, best seller lists, or box office grosses, there is no correlation between popularity and quality. If anything, it's a negative correlation.

I like the show, though I often fast-forward to new rules if the panel conversation is boring. The format has become somewhat repetitive, but there's usually a few funny lines on each show. I don't agree with his views on everything; I find his bashing of overweight people for example to be mean-spirited. But I think most of his criticisms towards the current president or social justice warriors on twitter are right on the money.

Slightly off-topic but related to talk shows, while flipping through channels this afternoon I came across Drew Barrymore's show for the first time. Oh my goodness.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
The claim that Maher doesn't have guests with opposing political viewpoints than him is false. Scaramucci was on the show multiple times back when he was singing Trump's praises. In the last couple of seasons he's had Steve Bannon, Ann Coulter, Geraldo Rivera, John Kasich, George Will, Margaret Hoover, Jordan Peterson, Chris Christie to name a few. And that's only what I can think of off the top of my head. If someone went through each episode you'd find a lot more.

The complaint that the audience laughs at all his jokes is kind of silly, because that's what happens on literally every single talk show with a live audience on TV (as well as political rallies). There's no reason to single out his show for it.

As far as declining ratings go, whether it's TV ratings, music charts, best seller lists, or box office grosses, there is no correlation between popularity and quality. If anything, it's a negative correlation.
I was going to reply with these same points so thanks for saving me the time. Some ridiculous criticisms in here.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

I like the show, though I often fast-forward to new rules if the panel conversation is boring. The format has become somewhat repetitive, but there's usually a few funny lines on each show. I don't agree with his views on everything; I find his bashing of overweight people for example to be mean-spirited. But I think most of his criticisms towards the current president or social justice warriors on twitter are right on the money.

Slightly off-topic but related to talk shows, while flipping through channels this afternoon I came across Drew Barrymore's show for the first time. Oh my goodness.
Paragraph 1 : Even Maher has said he cannot get people from the right to appear on his show. So, are you saying you know more about Maher's show than Maher? Obviously, you don't. You don't even know as much as me.

Paragraph 2 : When an intellectual like Christopher Hitchens comments on how low brow Maher's audience is (see the clip), you can take it to the bank. Now, it may hurt a lot of feelings, but it doesn't make it any less true.

Real Time fans are EASY to amuse. It is what it is.

Paragraph 3 : His show is going down hill and so are the ratings. If you feel one has nothing to do with the other, that's fine.

Paragraph 4 and 5 are fine.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I was going to reply with these same points...
I love how posters think they know more about the show than Bill Maher himself. Maher has said many times...

1) He cannot get "A" listers;
2) He cannot get people from the Right to come on his show;

As for his rating, look them up.

As for the evolution of his show, or LACK thereof, if you find the same thing funny week after week, year after year, God bless you for it. I WISH I was that easily amused.

As for all the canned, over the top laughter, as C.H. said to Maher...

"Your audience, which will apparently clap at anything, is frivolous"

I could not agree more.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
This show leans left, but I wouldn't say far left. They hate Trump, but it seems like they don't like Sanders or even Biden, they just want Trump out.
As Jordon Peterson said (paraphrasing), "Real Time makes for boring TV".

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
In summary : Everyone has a different sense of humour...

I'm a Frasier kinda guy, and Real Time fans are more of an American Pie / fart joke kinda crowd. To each their own.

Anyway, time to move on. I've said everything I need to say and this thread, like Real Time, has become boring and repetitive.

The thread is yours...

Last edited:

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
The claim that Maher doesn't have guests with opposing political viewpoints than him is false. Scaramucci was on the show multiple times back when he was singing Trump's praises. In the last couple of seasons, he's had Steve Bannon, Ann Coulter, Geraldo Rivera, John Kasich, George Will, Margaret Hoover, Jordan Peterson, Chris Christie to name a few. And that's only what I can think of off the top of my head. If someone went through each episode you'd find a lot more.

Agree. Ben Shapiro's appearance has been one of the most viewed. He also had Milo on his show, in an appearance that led to the downfall of the alt-right hero.

He's had politicians and voices from the left on his show as well (Sanders, Inslee, Van Jones, etc.)

He hasn't had issues with getting guests on his show. COVID has forced him to really moderate his positions.

For f***s sake, he had Micheal Cohen a couple of weeks ago.

Agree as well. The Daily Show is like that as well, especially during the Stewart era.

--------------------------
Overall, he's on f***ing HBO, who don't really give a shit about his ratings. His clips get views on Youtube that satisfy the exects and its available as a podcast. He adopts the format because he thinks its a better system that produces talk and comedy. It does, and this is from someone who watched him during the Politically Incorrect days.

The problem people seem to have with him is that he won't back, without questioning, many of the social movements in the world today. He doesn't support MeToo, BLM, or 'Cancel Culture'. The last one is notable because some 'progressive' politicians want him canceled for not backing BDS.

One of his best ones recently was attacking the Academy Awards for its new nomination guidelines.

In an era in which we are being pushed to accept one side or the other, it's nice to have someone in the middle.

If you don't like that, you can go f*** yourself.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada

I'm a Frasier kinda guy, and Real Time fans are more of an American Pie / fart joke kinda crowd. To each their own.

Anyway, time to move on. I've said everything I need to say and this thread, like Real Time, has become boring and repetitive.

The thread is yours...
I liked Frasier too.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Who's in the middle?
Bill, but it's less about being in the middle, and more about just willing to call your own side out on things. There's no one really in the "middle" just people willing to call their own side out on things, and then independents that swing each side on particular issues.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I love how posters think they know more about the show than Bill Maher himself. Maher has said many times...

1) He cannot get "A" listers;
2) He cannot get people from the Right to come on his show;

As for his rating, look them up.

As for the evolution of his show, or LACK thereof, if you find the same thing funny week after week, year after year, God bless you for it. I WISH I was that easily amused.

As for all the canned, over the top laughter, as C.H. said to Maher...

"Your audience, which will apparently clap at anything, is frivolous"

I could not agree more.
Well I've watched the show for 15 years and I know what I've seen so I guess I do know more about it than him. Pre Trump they had guests from the right on every week including many prominent ones. He still gets quite a few now. You're likely taking his comments out of context anyhow. I'm betting that you've hardly ever watched the show.

It's not the same thing week after week and that's a weak argument anyways. As already stated, ratings have little to do with the quality of a show.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004

The thread is yours...
What an immature response. Especially funny coming from the guy who was obsessed with the Johnny Depp/Amber Heard trial. Such high brow taste.

For the record, I love Frasier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad