Real talk (forwards:trade/movement deadline)

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
With the Olympic movement and trade deadline looming and a lot of chatter out of Nashville about more moves in the near future what is the fan bases opinion on the future of the forwards of the Nashville Predators. I have two examples of top line forwards for Nashville who are not producing to what I would expect and I would hope the Nashville Predators expect from a top forward who the organization is depending on to contribute offensively with goals.

If you sit down and go over the season especially since January 1, 2014 the defense is carrying this team. It should also be noted that the last couple of shootouts more defensemen were used than forwards. Is that not embarrassing or am I the only one who thinks so?

Since January 1, 2014:

-Colin Wilson: 0 goals.
-Patric Hornqvist: 2 goals

I don't think David Legwand is the only one being shopped "hard" and he shouldn't be.

Thoughts?

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
With the Olympic movement and trade deadline looming and a lot of chatter out of Nashville about more moves in the near future what is the fan bases opinion on the future of the forwards of the Nashville Predators. I have two examples of top line forwards for Nashville who are not producing to what I would expect and I would hope the Nashville Predators expect from a top forward who the organization is depending on to contribute offensively with goals.

If you sit down and go over the season especially since January 1, 2014 the defense is carrying this team. It should also be noted that the last couple of shootouts more defensemen were used than forwards. Is that not embarrassing or am I the only one who thinks so?

Since January 1, 2014:

-Colin Wilson: 0 goals.
-Patric Hornqvist: 2 goals

I don't think David Legwand is the only one being shopped "hard" and he shouldn't be.

Thoughts?

I don't think it matters, I think we're in full rebuild mode ... so it's going to be a few years before this team is remolded and shaped into what our (hopefully) new GM will want it to look like.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I doubt Hornqvist goes anywhere, he seems to like it here and he'll be good for our youngsters. Streaks happen to everyone, we can't just trade him because he isn't scoring, he'll score again.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
I doubt Hornqvist goes anywhere, he seems to like it here and he'll be good for our youngsters. Streaks happen to everyone, we can't just trade him because he isn't scoring, he'll score again.

Wasn't meaning any of the two will be traded but the continued lack of consistent offense should be addressed. To me it is pretty alarming that two of are supposed top forwards can go that long without producing and nothing is done or said.
What woulf happen if Smith or Spaling were producing those kind of numbers?

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Horqvist will always be a streaky scorer. He gets goals off drive and his touch around the net. He's not create offense consistently with his skill set, but he'll be a great complimentary players to those that can. In the meantime, we can ask more out of him.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
look at mynhltraderumors.com and there is a posting about Erik Cole being moved before or at the deadline and one of the analysts lists Nashville as a possible destination for him.

wouldn't be my choice but an interesting piece of speculation. i would guess that would be a move if we're in the playoff race. i'm not sure.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Horqvist will always be a streaky scorer. He gets goals off drive and his touch around the net. He's not create offense consistently with his skill set, but he'll be a great complimentary players to those that can. In the meantime, we can ask more out of him.

You got to produce more getting top line and top PP mintues.

What's your diagnosis of Wilson? 0 goals... 0!!

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
look at mynhltraderumors.com and there is a posting about Erik Cole being moved before or at the deadline and one of the analysts lists Nashville as a possible destination for him.

wouldn't be my choice but an interesting piece of speculation. i would guess that would be a move if we're in the playoff race. i'm not sure.

I would think Poile is scrambling for all options. When your dmen are running the shootout and keeping the team aboce .500 you GOT to do something.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Wilson and Hornqvist without a point much less a goal again tonight. Stalberg a healthy scratch but Clune plays. That a boy Trotz sit those millions on the bench....

Not much interaction on this issue. Guess management feels like posters do.. "Ahh whatever"

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
The Stalberg scratch is curious could he be part of a trade today????? Possible But more likely a coaching decision. It does not matter what kind of money he is being paid. He has digressed down the depth chart landing on the 4th line. Its not like he and Wilson have not had the opportunity to get on the score sheet all year. They have not produced at some point you have to realize that blaming the system or the coach is not a reliable argument any longer. The Hawks fans warned us of the issues with Stalberg but we hoped he would put his past behind and thrive here. After 58 games he has 15 points just amazing for a guy that has some talent. Wilson has had a tragic year yet again. It is hard to imagine them being part of the solution at this point. Really sad to see I wanted Wilson to do well so bad but hes mired in the level of the rest of our bottom six at this point.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
The Stalberg scratch is curious could he be part of a trade today????? Possible But more likely a coaching decision. It does not matter what kind of money he is being paid. He has digressed down the depth chart landing on the 4th line. Its not like he and Wilson have not had the opportunity to get on the score sheet all year. They have not produced at some point you have to realize that blaming the system or the coach is not a reliable argument any longer. The Hawks fans warned us of the issues with Stalberg but we hoped he would put his past behind and thrive here. After 58 games he has 15 points just amazing for a guy that has some talent. Wilson has had a tragic year yet again. It is hard to imagine them being part of the solution at this point. Really sad to see I wanted Wilson to do well so bad but hes mired in the level of the rest of our bottom six at this point.

I agree. His performance has been awful but how many times has been scratched. IMO he's not getting a fair shake though. You don't trade him. YOu just signed him. I'm on the trade Wilson train though. And Erik Cole wouldn't be a bad idea. Other than his cap hit.

I'd like to see is get Brandon Pirri though.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
You got to produce more getting top line and top PP mintues.

What's your diagnosis of Wilson? 0 goals... 0!!

Wilson has been getting around 13 minutes a game for a month now. Not 1st line minutes. Not 1st team PP minutes.

I'll say this in defense of Wilson: He was for better stretches of the year, one of our better forwards. He is more of a playmaker than goal-scorer, and we have zero finishers on this team. It is hurting his statistics significantly. Additionally, I think the beginning of the season was a struggle - coming off two shoulder surgeries and extensive time off - he wasn't back to where he was. Lastly, us playing him at center and with differing linemates has to take a toll on production. I felt like coming into this season it was a huge stretch to expect him to be back to the level he was at last year. Unfortunately, he has fallen more than I expected. Then again, who envisioned the following coming true: Spaling elevated to 1st line winger, Stalberg 4th line/scratched, Cullen 4th line (our billed top line center), Forsberg in Milwuakee, Wilson on the third line.

Our forwards, the build of our team, and their handling has been abysmal from an organizational perspective this year.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois

I think VS was a very good get for Nashville, BUT has been misused since day one. Hasn't been paired consistantly with the right line players or has been a healthy scratch. The Trotz way has done the same to Wilson. Smith has/is starting to do well in spite of the Trotz way. The Defense Defense Defense then D/C is not condusive for skilled offensive players. That will be the main reason most skilled Top 6 players hesitate in coming here. That is why we were able to sign the players we signed. Until that changes, getting a top 3/6 forward will be very difficult unless he is traded here.

Webersmashpuck

Mar 17, 2009
Spring Hill
Trade Cullen and Stalberg. See what is offered of Wilson and resign Legwand. Take all the stuff that we've gather through trades and do our best to get a high pick and try to get a top center. Easier said than done but really our forwards are not as terrible as we think, but they need a large piece or two to be good.

I see people complaining that Stalberg has been misused. He gets at least 1 breakaway each game and cant put it home. How is he going to help a line that is expected to score?

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
I see no reason to trade Wilson. I can't believe he has any real value at this point, and we'd be selling an asset very low.

Maybe you get a 2nd for him. Maybe you get a prospect who's another team's headache.

The fact is, there's still a chance he might break out and that's more valuable than any lame return he'll bring back at the present time.

This team isn't good enough to do anything this year. Moving assets so that we can get blown away in the 1st round of the playoffs would be incredibly stupid. So no to Cole, Gionta, or any of the flavor of the day here.

If anything, we need to remove the deadweight - Cullen, Stalberg, etc. Collect as many pieces as we can that can help next year and beyond, free up as much money and go get the best UFAs we can - not guys whose primary attribute is "predator hard".

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Wilson has been getting around 13 minutes a game for a month now. Not 1st line minutes. Not 1st team PP minutes.

I'll say this in defense of Wilson: He was for better stretches of the year, one of our better forwards. He is more of a playmaker than goal-scorer, and we have zero finishers on this team. It is hurting his statistics significantly. Additionally, I think the beginning of the season was a struggle - coming off two shoulder surgeries and extensive time off - he wasn't back to where he was. Lastly, us playing him at center and with differing linemates has to take a toll on production. I felt like coming into this season it was a huge stretch to expect him to be back to the level he was at last year. Unfortunately, he has fallen more than I expected. Then again, who envisioned the following coming true: Spaling elevated to 1st line winger, Stalberg 4th line/scratched, Cullen 4th line (our billed top line center), Forsberg in Milwuakee, Wilson on the third line.

Our forwards, the build of our team, and their handling has been abysmal from an organizational perspective this year.

I was talking about Hornqvist when discussing PP minutes not Wilson.

Hornqvist does get top line minutes and is in the #1 power play unit. Averages over 16 min a game.

Colin Wilson also averages a lot more minutes than around "13 minutes. Let's try just over 15 minutes (15.17).

I am tired of all the excuses for Colin Wilson. He either needs to produce or the Preds need to go another direction.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

Hornqvist does get top line minutes and is in the #1 power play unit. Averages over 16 min a game.

Colin Wilson also averages a lot more minutes than around "13 minutes. Let's try just over 15 minutes (15.17).

I am tired of all the excuses for Colin Wilson. He either needs to produce or the Preds need to go another direction.

Sounds like the entire forward group minus Smith.

roseyc

Mar 23, 2010

At this point your just going to give him away. Then we'll see if it's him or Trotz and the Preds are going to live and die with Trotz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad