Salary Cap: Real Change: Carolina's Cap or: Is Eric Tulsky a viable option?

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
I'm offering the following post as a start to turn our attention to a somewhat serious discussion.

This may weave into other discussions, but a review of Carolina, heading into the Conference Finals provides the following for our managerial comparative purposes:

Player Capital:
Highest paid forward (and player) is Sebastian Aho: $8,460,250
Next highest paid forward (and player) is Jordan Staal: $6,000,000 (Salary comes off the books at end of season).
Highest paid defenseman is Jacob Slavin: $5,300,000
Next highest paid defenseman is Brent Burns: $5,280,000

(I'm going to leave out goaltending given the relative similarity in situations going forward minus Murray's extra year.)

Draft Capital:
1st Round picks: All CAR: 2023;2024;2025
2nd Round picks: All CAR plus one PHI*: 2023; 2024*;2025
Total picks in the next three drafts: 24 and in all rounds.

The Hurricanes have approximately $23/24 Million dollars to spend this off-season...

I'll leave it to any interested to consult the friendly website that deals with NHL cap situations and compare our situation with Carolina's.

###

So consider for a moment that Carolina is in the Conference Finals with no albatross contracts, an actual war chest to spend in the summer, all of their picks and few clubs' others to use at the draft table or in parlay for acquisition...They might not be the most elite team, but their culture is intrinsically balanced. There's no overreach -- anywhere.

Tulsky is interesting because he is just as invested (perhaps more) in advanced stats as Dubas and Pridham, but the application seems diametrically opposite to our management's results.

A couple of questions come to mind, the first of which is: Is Carolina only the product of Tulsky and if not what is the filter that Carolina uses to arrive at such an ideal operations culture?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Comparing one of the most taxed teams to one of the top 10 most tax advantaged sure makes no sense.

You might be confusing North Carolina with Tennessee (Nashville).

Carolina's cap advantage is they are a lower profile market who built their program from cost controlled blueliners out and just draft and develop well and have a great depth of skilled forwards who never got the media pump up.

Reactions: ITM

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I'd give this guy a blank cheque to come run our drafts tbh. Pay him as much as others would to be a GM and don't even care what his position is tbh.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Carolina has been the superior team to Toronto during Tulsky's tenure as AGM. That said, how much of that success should be accredited to Tulsky? Waddell? Brind'Amour?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Tulsky should have been hired by the Leafs a long time ago. They missed out for sure.

With that said, he's another nerd that never played the game and likes spreadsheets. Not sure he'll get much fandom around here.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Tulsky should have been hired by the Leafs a long time ago. They missed out for sure.

With that said, he's another nerd that never played the game and likes spreadsheets. Not sure he'll get much fandom around here.
He's only been in hockey for 8 years and the first year was as a part-time consultant.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
So consider for a moment that Carolina is in the Conference Finals with no albatross contracts, an actual war chest to spend in the summer, all of their picks and few clubs' others to use at the draft table or in parlay for acquisition...They might not be the most elite team, but their culture is intrinsically balanced. There's no overreach -- anywhere.

Tulsky is interesting because he is just as invested (perhaps more) in advanced stats as Dubas and Pridham, but the application seems diametrically opposite to our management's results.

A couple of questions come to mind, the first of which is: Is Carolina only the product of Tulsky and if not what is the filter that Carolina uses to arrive at such an ideal operations culture?
While you make some interesting points, one of the primary reasons why they are very different operating and grind to the point where every goal feels like a bullet to their chest is due to the autonomy of Rod Brindamour.

They have built from the back to front, Slavin does not get enough love so I am glad to see he is getting that love here and he can neutralize very easily top lines with how he plays the game. He brings it and with their skills limited, they are a team with the true definition of the next-man-up mentality. So they have been constructed and as well really adapted to how brindamour has been as player for a long time.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Bumping Tulsky and if not's Tulsky, does he have an upwardly aspiring assistant we should speak with?

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I'd take Tulsky in a heartbeat but I'd want a strong POHO who can handle negotiations right now. Don't want another Dubas situation where a rookie GM is forced to handle franchise altering negotiations immediately.

Reactions: TMLAM34

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
You might be confusing North Carolina with Tennessee (Nashville).

Carolina's cap advantage is they are a lower profile market who built their program from cost controlled blueliners out and just draft and develop well and have a great depth of skilled forwards who never got the media pump up.
Nope, not confused. They aren't the most advantaged (see current final 4) but they are top half and well above the Leafs.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
TOR.CAR.cap.structure.png

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

It’s all results. I don’t care if you are the accountant or the custodian.
Start becoming a team that is having playoff success and plays hard, blue collar and skill, and you have one fan.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Great resource. Thanks.

Not to put too fine a point on it: The cost of Carolina's 17 forwards is equivalent to the core four and Acciari.

#Management.
It doesn’t show the injured players

Svechnikov 7.75
Paccioretty 7

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
He's the one they should hire.

Should be the number one option for the Leafs and Shanahan. He's well-respected in Carolina for a reason and everything Carolina has done shows the team knows what they are doing.

Experience for the sake of it will be a joke. In that sense, Chiarelli has lots of GM experience too.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Why is Eric Tulsky getting all this credit for Carolina's success? Don Waddell is the GM there. If Don Waddell became available, I bet people on Twitter would call him a dinosaur and say the league has passed him by.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Why is Eric Tulsky getting all this credit for Carolina's success? Don Waddell is the GM there. If Don Waddell became available, I bet people on Twitter would call him a dinosaur and say the league has passed him by.

Tulsky handles most of the GM duties in Carolina, while Waddell is more on the business side. This is their arrangement and there was a piece done on this by The Athletic.

"Tulsky is essentially already the GM in Carolina, where he focuses on hockey operations while GM Don Waddell tends to a lot of business matters.”

The entire NHL is already aware of this and that's why he's so coveted considering the way Carolina has been managed. The guy is the real deal and exceptionally smart.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Tulsky handles most of the GM duties in Carolina, while Waddell is more on the business side. This is their arrangement and there was a piece done on this by The Athletic.

"Tulsky is essentially already the GM in Carolina, where he focuses on hockey operations while GM Don Waddell tends to a lot of business matters.”

The entire NHL is already aware of this and that's why he's so coveted considering the way Carolina has been managed. The guy is the real deal and exceptionally smart.

It's just funny how hockey Twitter always loves the young key who's never played in the NHL. Guys like Tulsky, Dubas, Chayka, etc remind the average Twitter poster of themselves, I think.

Carolina is an interesting situation. I personally think Rod Brind'Amour has way more to do with their success and culture than Eric Tulsky and Don Waddell. Without Brind'Amour, those players aren't what they are and that team isn't what it is.

Reactions: Mickey Marner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad