Movies: Ready Player One (2018)

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
If I was ten years old, I probably would have liked it. Now it felt hollow even though I feel there was too much stuff in it. I know it sounds contradicting but it felt like there was too much going on that there wasn't any time to focus on anything, which is why everything was handled superficially and there was no depth. I didn't want the movie to be any longer but have less stuff in it.

The story was pretty basic and the characters were cliched, and while these things are not necessarily bad, it does make the movie feel quite bland when nothing else exceeds the expectations or is interesting even. The idea was kind of cool and these dystopian views of the future always intrigue me but again, there wasn't much time spent on exploring them. It felt like having references and easter eggs was supposed to be the main thing but it doesn't take you very far honestly. I give credit that the film moved along rather quickly and some of the action sequences were great but if those are the only merits of the film, I can't really think much of it.

I didn't expect the film to be a thoughtful take on how this kind of society would function and I was actually looking forward to this baed on the trailer, but now I feel that the best parts were in the trailer. I don't think I'm in the target audience so maybe a kid who hasn't seen many films would probably like it, but even for a kids film, this seemed pretty underwhelming.

Reactions: NameInUse

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Had no interest whatsoever. Thought every trailer looked awful. Friend That loved the book who doesn't drive really wanted to see it. Paid for my ticket so he could see it.

I loved it. So much fun. Genuinely surprised. Will be picking up the bluray for sure.

Reactions: Supermassive

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Pretty good movie. The ending was a bit corny, but still entertaining. That's all I care about.

Reactions: irunthepeg

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Solid all-around movie, captured the essence of the book well enough. I was okay with most of the changes from the book, as some elements simply wouldn't translate well to the big screen. Happy they were able to get the rights to some specific major pop culture icons from the book that I won't spoil. I know they had issues or were unable to license a lot of the IP mentioned in the book.

Worth seeing on the big screen.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
I think it's one of those movies that it makes way more sense to see in theatre. The visual and audio spectacle are a big part of this movie which obviously translates well to the big screen. It's a good escapist flick but it is very cliche so I don't expect it to have lots of staying power culturally.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Ready Player One
2.75 out of 4stars

Not too deep but not all surface either, all in all it's a really fun adventure movie with great visuals/sounds along with Spielbergy messages/style. Overstuffed with nosalgia and "cameos" also. Made for the big screen, if you have any curiosity in seeing it, SEE IT ON THE BIG SCREEN, it's one of those movies that was made for the movie theater experience and it won't let you down. If you are under the age of 13/a gamer/fan of the book/fanboy of any subject the movie touches upon, why the hell are you waiting to see this movie? Ha.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I really enjoyed it. There were a few major plot issues that bugged me, but the visuals and the cinematics made them rather easy to overlook.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Pretty good. Very different from the book. Not salty about that. I think I need to change my avatar now, though. This is too mainstream for me.

pexels-photo-211050.jpeg

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Surprised at the praise for how it looked.

Seemed like a muddled mess to me. Too much going on screen makes the action sequences largely unintelligible and someone should have told Spielberg that not everything needed to be 50 shades of grey in terms of colour choices.

I thought how they incorporated The Shining was clever, otherwise it was mostly a lot of noise on screen.

Reactions: kihei

NameInUse

Sep 27, 2017
I couldn't get into it. To me it felt like if Coldplay was a movie: all the elements to make a good movie were there, but it had no soul. My daughter loved it though.

Reactions: Pilky01

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Meh, it's your classic Saturday afternoon escapist movie.

I enjoyed myself - it wasn't very memorable but sometimes you just want to switch your brain off.

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
Pretty good. Very different from the book. Not salty about that. I think I need to change my avatar now, though. This is too mainstream for me.

pexels-photo-211050.jpeg

I now feel really dumb not realizing that's what your avatar has been the whole time :help:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Had no interest whatsoever. Thought every trailer looked awful. Friend That loved the book who doesn't drive really wanted to see it. Paid for my ticket so he could see it.

I loved it. So much fun. Genuinely surprised. Will be picking up the bluray for sure.

Thank-you!
Same here, loved it way more than I thought possible. A nostalgia funfest. Any 80s or 90s kid who loves the history of video games, this is for you.

I also loved the message about monetization in the current generation of gaming. I’m completely disgusted with Fortnite and all of these Free To Start games. It was nice to see that some other people feel the same way.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I think it's one of those movies that it makes way more sense to see in theatre. The visual and audio spectacle are a big part of this movie which obviously translates well to the big screen. It's a good escapist flick but it is very cliche so I don't expect it to have lots of staying power culturally.

I saw it in D-Box, not sure how worldwide that is, but it makes your chair rumble and tilt during the movie. Made the experience that much more awesome :laugh:

Reactions: Saskatoon

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Just finished watching it. Pretty entertaining stuff, of course I am in the age groups it's targeting when it comes to nostalgia. Not a classic, far from Spielberg's best movies but entertaining. Probably 8/10. Some bits felt a bit odd/off and it got a bit corny towards the end but that's how Spielbergs best movies tend to be.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
I liked it, not because it was a good movie, but because I like bad movies more than I should. The book was far better even if it was written with the literary skill of a teenager.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
EnchantingVagueHalcyon-max-1mb.gif

Ready Player One (2018) Directed by Steven Spielberg 8.5A

Loved It!

Went into it basically blind. Didn't even check this board, RT, etc... The 80's nostalgia was probably a big part of it for me, but the visuals were outstanding. While the story was formulaic, at my age almost all of them are. I got no problem with that if it's done right and I felt it was. The homage to The Shining was outstanding, now my favorite right ahead of Twister's homage. I would watch again, which I can't say about many movies these days.

Welcome back Mr. Spielberg!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad