re visiting the carter/richards trades

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I haven't seen any LA games, but from the stats Carter has 3 goals and no assists in 6 games. I know you can't judge a player soley by his stats, but am I missing something?

He's been all over the place in a good way. I don't think SO goals count, right? He scored the only goal in a SO a couple of games ago and Richards had one in a loss against Nashville.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
All the people on the Kings' board are pretty thrilled with Carter so far.

That's probably because their fan base is more positive and realistic than this one. Their record is 2-2-2 and this is after coming off a Stanley Cup! Think if we were 2-2-2 after winning the Cup. Everyone on this board would be wanting to trade everyone and fire everybody. Their fan base is happy. Richards has 2 points, Carter 3 points, Gagne 2 points. It's too bad we have this lame guy named Simmonds who has 5 points in 8 games and is leading the team in scoring.

We got good return for those two. Do I miss them? Yes. Do I think we'd be Cup contenders with them on this team, after taking away Grossman, Bryz, Couts, and Simmonds? No.

This team is young. Some people on here want to exile players who are sophomores. That's ridiculous and unrealistic. Couturier and Schenn are NHL sophomores! What the heck?

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
He's been all over the place in a good way. I don't think SO goals count, right? He scored the only goal in a SO a couple of games ago and Richards had one in a loss against Nashville.

That is correct, SO goals do not count. Too bad they couldn't score any of those for us.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
That's probably because their fan base is more positive and realistic than this one. Their record is 2-2-2 and this is after coming off a Stanley Cup! Think if we were 2-2-2 after winning the Cup. Everyone on this board would be wanting to trade everyone and fire everybody. Their fan base is happy. Richards has 2 points, Carter 3 points, Gagne 2 points. It's too bad we have this lame guy named Simmonds who has 5 points in 8 games and is leading the team in scoring.

We got good return for those two. Do I miss them? Yes. Do I think we'd be Cup contenders with them on this team, after taking away Grossman, Bryz, Couts, and Simmonds? No.

This team is young. Some people on here want to exile players who are sophomores. That's ridiculous and unrealistic. Couturier and Schenn are NHL sophomores! What the heck?

Different systems and all, can't just look at point totals, etc. Richards is off to a slow start but I'd take him back in a heartbeat over what we got for him. Carter too. I agree that we can't give up on Schenn and Couturier now though. Wait 4-6 years. That should really be the timetable for evaluating them since that's how much younger they are than Carter and Richards. I still think it made no sense to basically start over when we had a team that was right there competing for the Cup, but that's what management did. So now we wait.

PayItForward

Aug 18, 2012
I haven't seen any LA games, but from the stats Carter has 3 goals and no assists in 6 games. I know you can't judge a player soley by his stats, but am I missing something?

The whole Kings team is having trouble scoring but Carter has been one of their best players, regardless of the numbers he's put up. Definitely looks good every time I've watch him this season.

Because people had unrealistic expectations before the season started. There were some people who expected Couturier to break out like Seguin did last year because hey, they were in a similar situation their first years (bottom 6, limited ice time, limited or no PP time, mediocre or poor line mates, although used differently) which completely ignored the fact that they are two completely different players who having different strengths and weaknesses along with different ceilings/floors and quite honestly different offensive upsides.

Not to mention the constant comparison of B. Schenn to Richards and the fact that he was a very highly hyped up prospect before coming here and has yet to really do anything to justify that.

Probably also has a lot to do with the fact that the Flyers got them in return for Carter and Richards trade as a whole as well.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Different systems and all, can't just look at point totals, etc. Richards is off to a slow start but I'd take him back in a heartbeat over what we got for him. Carter too. I agree that we can't give up on Schenn and Couturier now though. Wait 4-6 years. That should really be the timetable for evaluating them since that's how much younger they are than Carter and Richards. I still think it made no sense to basically start over when we had a team that was right there competing for the Cup, but that's what management did. So now we wait.

I blame Holmgren for putting us in that position to where he felt it necessary to trade them. I don't think the team would win the Cup with that roster though - our goaltending was so horrid. But his solution didn't get us closer the the Cup either. I think the Flyers are in a bad era now. I think on paper, the Flyers need 2 top notch defensemen (assuming Kimmo is gone after this year). How can the team get that? They can't. Unless they can keep forwards who can score AND acquire two top d-men, I don't think the team has a realistic shot at the Cup.

Since the team can't do that, I think they should try to get 3 #3 d-men and try to be like the Canes. I'd try to go for players like Hjalmarsson from Chicago - players like that who make 3-4 mil. We need a team to get pushed up against the cap so that they need room and jettison players like that.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013

I'm not meaning to beat this one even more, but I guess I sort of am.

I'm just bumping it, because it's a short thread, took place a long time ago, but still well after the trade, and as such... some of these posts are pretty amusing to read in hind sight.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I'm not meaning to beat this one even more, but I guess I sort of am.

I'm just bumping it, because it's a short thread, took place a long time ago, but still well after the trade, and as such... some of these posts are pretty amusing to read in hind sight.
Leave it buried where it belongs

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Carter is still going strong, but Richards appears to be done, and four of our current top 6 forwards came from those trades. Whatever else you say about Homer, he got great value back from LA and CBJ.

Voracek
Schenn
Couturier
Simmonds

We also got Cousins, and eventually a 2017 4th from the Islanders:

6/23/11 - Wayne Simmonds, Brayden Schenn and 2012 2nd rounder (transferred to Dallas - Devin Shore) to LA for Mike Richards and Rob Bordson

2/16/12 - Nicklas Grossman to Dallas for LA's 2012 2nd Rounder (Devin Shore), Minnesota's 2013 3rd Rounder

6/27/15 - Sam Gagner + conditional 2016/2017 pick to Arizona for Nicklas Grossmann + Chris Pronger

6/25/16 2016 4th rounder to NYI for 2017 4th rounder()

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/trade.cgi

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Homer crushed both teams in both trades. Thought that then, think that now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad