Rumor: Re-signing Neal

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'd be very happy, but he's not really the face of the team like I thought he'd be (along with MAF) when this all started.

I always wonder how these things go down, it's reported that they want to re-sign him, yet they say they haven't done anything to do so. Is this the first time he's heard that the team would like to re-sign him, or do players have these types of conversations with team personnel from time to time?

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
The Knights had 6 contributing pending UFAs a couple of months ago. They have locked up McNabb and Marchessault. Neal and Perron are the 2 they need to make decisions on. I think Engelland will be a Knight until they no longer want him on a fairly team friendly deal (1.5 to 2 mill tops). Sbisa has played way above expectations this season and if he was retained on a short term team friendly contract I wouldn't mind that either. If Neal would take 5*5 I think they would sign him tomorrow. Neal to 35 shouldn't be too bad of a dropoff. Perron at 4.5*5 would also be doable for me anyway. I think you could get Sbisa for about 4 per if they want to retain him. He's only 27 but the depth of defenseman may mean they could move on from him.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
The Knights had 6 contributing pending UFAs a couple of months ago. They have locked up McNabb and Marchessault. Neal and Perron are the 2 they need to make decisions on. I think Engelland will be a Knight until they no longer want him on a fairly team friendly deal (1.5 to 2 mill tops). Sbisa has played way above expectations this season and if he was retained on a short term team friendly contract I wouldn't mind that either. If Neal would take 5*5 I think they would sign him tomorrow. Neal to 35 shouldn't be too bad of a dropoff. Perron at 4.5*5 would also be doable for me anyway. I think you could get Sbisa for about 4 per if they want to retain him. He's only 27 but the depth of defenseman may mean they could move on from him.
Zero chance Neal takes anything under 6 per year. And Perron will be looking for a 7 or 8 year term. I hope they do re-sign though, I love the success the team and players are having.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Agreed. Neal isn’t taking anything less than 6 regardless of term, and Perron is probably somewhere between 5 and 6.

If Sbisa asks for 4, I start making calls the next day to move him. He’s a bottom pair guy, who is notoriously inconsistent.

I should add that if Neal and / or Perron are fetching A+ offers, I would move one of them. Perron doesn’t have the high end skill of a first liner, and Neal can be quite inconsistent.

Not a slight to either of them, they are very solid top 6 wingers, but the prospect pool outside of the recent first rounders is very barren. If you could get a young defensive prospect with top line potential, or a potential 1C, I would pull the trigger.

I tend to agree with what McPhee has said in the past. The current success is amazing, but sustained success is even better. Young guys making the team on ELC contracts are huge for contenders.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrjiggyfly

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Alluded to this in another post, but at the risk of being a broken record will again say I detest long term deals for vet players. If Neal will take a shorter deal great. Otherwise trade him, scoop a round 1 pick that might get us a lottery shot, and move forward.

EDIT: same goes for Perron, obviously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad