Re-signing Matthew Lombardi

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Would you re-sign this guy if he takes a much smaller contract (let's say about 1 mil-1.5mil). He seems like he can play 4th line and he can do penalty kills because of his speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Absolutely positively not.

Most useless player on the team last year. Made me regret the Brett Lebda trade because all he did was take up salary and a roster spot while also playing like ****. And to make matters worse, we barely even used Franson, who was supposed to be the key to that trade. We could have just kept Lebda, ate his contract and allowed Kadri/Frattin + Holzer maybe to make the jump full time.

LeafsRReady

Aug 14, 2011
Did I miss something? Did we fast forward from Christmas Day to April Fool's Day?

Seriously, the guy is in no way, shape or form a bottom 6 player and given the makeup of our top 6 he does not have the necessary size and grittiness to play there, never mind the necessary skill level.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Personally, I wouldn't mind resigning him IF we didn't have all these Marlies players ready to play. I'd rather just let the kids play. Kadri, Frattin, Ashton, (Abbott is getting there too), (maybe D'Amigo) are all forward prospects that I would prefer over him. I just wanted to see other people's opinions on this.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Did I miss something? Did we fast forward from Christmas Day to April Fool's Day?

Seriously, the guy is in no way, shape or form a bottom 6 player and given the makeup of our top 6 he does not have the necessary size and grittiness to play there, never mind the necessary skill level.

Maybe Franson and Lombardi to Nashville for C.Wilson?

:sarcasm:

Wouldn't that turn into Lebda for C.Wilson?

:laugh:

Okay, throw in D'Amigo good American boy for another good American boy.

DaveT83*

#LebdaLives

The real question is do we sign Franson? Lombo is completely irrelevant to thisi roster ... to this team - to the NHL - to humanity.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If the Leafs were running battle of the blades we should definitely look at re-signing him. But not for hockey purposes.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I'm a huge fan of Lombardi's and I don't think he gets re-signed at the end of the year.

He's a 2nd line centreman on a team that already has 3 of them.

Leafs For Life*

Rather him go back to where he played well in Phoenix, well, who doesn't?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
crazy that the Lebda deal ended up hurting us, not helping us.

Heista18*

Force him to resign instead of re-signing him.

This better be sarcastic. The funniest moment of my saturday night would be him turning away and skating to the bench when every other player was involved in a scuffle. If I was phaneuf I would've game him a one two... Punch to the face and stomach. Do not like this guy.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
crazy that the Lebda deal ended up hurting us, not helping us.

Toronto is not even finished paying for this trade as Nashville still receives Leafs 4th round pick from this next upcoming entry draft as compensation for Leafs eating Lombardi's $7 mil balance remaining contract they acquired.

MLSE however caught a break from this lockout as they're saving on not having to pay him his $3.5 mil contract for this season.

I'd be very surprised if he was re-signed at contract expiration by the Leafs even if it came at a +$2 mil salary reduction.. An 18 point 3rd line player as Lombardi was, without any real distinguishable bottom 6 contribution or usefulness should be easily replaceable internally at the same rate of pay.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
I hope Lombo goes back to Phoenix and shows what he can really do. I really liked him and it is a shame this is what is happening to him because of a concussion.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
#LebdaLives

The real question is do we sign Franson? Lombo is completely irrelevant to thisi roster ... to this team - to the NHL - to humanity.

IIRC Franson signed an overseas deal with no out clause so he wont be available until summer even if there is a season...

question for you guys... if there is a season, and they have a buyout period before this season starts, would the Leafs buy out Lombo or just pay him and try to get some use out of him?

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
IIRC Franson signed an overseas deal with no out clause so he wont be available until summer even if there is a season...

question for you guys... if there is a season, and they have a buyout period before this season starts, would the Leafs buy out Lombo or just pay him and try to get some use out of him?

There is zero purpose in buying him out. His contract expires at the end of this season. He's not COMPLETELY useless but he isn't what he used to be and we're not going for the Cup this year, obviously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad